PDA

View Full Version : Independent arrival year 7 - with Aspergers

button68
07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Just had a telephone call from DS's School Secretary. She has had a phone call from the mum of one of last years pupils to ask whether I could attend after school club again even though he was now at secondary school. (he can't after school is for the primary school children only)

Mum and Dad both work and Secondary School don't have any provision for after school.

This is the background the boy is 12 but has Aspergers (although he is in a regular school scan't be that bad) - ATM mum and dad put him on the train to school (3 stops) and he gets off and then walks to school, fine, he has done this since September.

It is evening they have a problem. They would like him to walk to mine and then they would collect him from mine when they finish work.

I'm sure this has been covered but when would my responsibility start? At the threashold of my house or when he leaves school?

He is 12 and Mum (who I believe is very pedantic) was happy for him to walk to the primary after school club which is further than me house.

I would like to help because the parents are clearly very stuck, I wouldn't make much ££££ from it - from what I remember about E he is very very tall (he was like a big friendly giant at school) and built like a brick outhouse!! He'll probably eat me out of house and home :D

Also what would I charge - never had any afterschoolers

Annie_T
07-03-2008, 02:06 PM
oh thtas hard one, id charge from when he at your house but then again..ooh i dont know on this part sorry

i charge same as others or cut the price by £1 or something wish i could help hun sorry

crazybones
07-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Just had a telephone call from DS's School Secretary. She has had a phone call from the mum of one of last years pupils to ask whether I could attend after school club again even though he was now at secondary school. (he can't after school is for the primary school children only)

Mum and Dad both work and Secondary School don't have any provision for after school.

This is the background the boy is 12 but has Aspergers (although he is in a regular school scan't be that bad) - ATM mum and dad put him on the train to school (3 stops) and he gets off and then walks to school, fine, he has done this since September.

It is evening they have a problem. They would like him to walk to mine and then they would collect him from mine when they finish work.

I'm sure this has been covered but when would my responsibility start? At the threashold of my house or when he leaves school?

He is 12 and Mum (who I believe is very pedantic) was happy for him to walk to the primary after school club which is further than me house.

I would like to help because the parents are clearly very stuck, I wouldn't make much ££££ from it - from what I remember about E he is very very tall (he was like a big friendly giant at school) and built like a brick outhouse!! He'll probably eat me out of house and home :D

Also what would I charge - never had any afterschoolers

I think there is an independant arrival policy on Bromley site

Annie x

button68
07-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I think there is an independant arrival policy on Bromley site

Annie x

I can see the Independant Arrival Risk Assesment but not Policy :(

angeldelight
07-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Yes it is there I just looked

Angel xx

button68
07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes it is there I just looked

Angel xx

Cheers Angel I'll go and have another look :thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
There is a policy I downloaded it and its on my computer upstairs take another look and I'll try to remember when mindees are gone - bear in mind that last one leaves at 10.00 tonight so coulod easily forget. If you don't hear from me pm me and I'll do it.

Celine

button68
07-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Got it!! Didn't find it first time because I spelt independent wrong :blush:

Heaven Scent
07-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh am glad i won't have to feel guilty for forgetting.

Celine

sarah707
07-03-2008, 03:21 PM
You could charge 2 ways - one for just from when he arrives at your house and another from when he leaves school... but if you charge from when he leaves school, you would have to be responsible if he gets himself in a muddle after school or if the train was cancelled.

I've had lots of children come from high schools and some on the train and I charge from leaving school, then they ring me if there's a problem and I shoot off in the car and get them - but that's your decision obviously.

Here's my paperwork - though it's in the process of being updated... :D

button68
07-03-2008, 03:29 PM
You could charge 2 ways - one for just from when he arrives at your house and another from when he leaves school... but if you charge from when he leaves school, you would have to be responsible if he gets himself in a muddle after school or if the train was cancelled.

I've had lots of children come from high schools and some on the train and I charge from leaving school, then they ring me if there's a problem and I shoot off in the car and get them - but that's your decision obviously.

Here's my paperwork - though it's in the process of being updated... :D

Thanks Sarah I'll have a look at that.

He only gets the train from home to school in the morning and the evening he woud walk to my house. I am concerned about; him wandering off :rolleyes: getting knocked over :eek: or being bullied on the way home/to mine :( or am I just being silly because all these things could happen even if he didn't have Aspergers.

miffy
07-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I do it slightly differently because I charge for the place and that is available from 3.30 as that is when I would pick up at the local school

My independent arriver doesn't get to me until 4.45 later if the bus is delayed and it wouldn't be worth my while if I just charged from then.

I charge extra for tea and am not responsible until he arrives with me

Hope that helps
Miffy xx

berkschick
07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks Sarah I'll have a look at that.

He only gets the train from home to school in the morning and the evening he woud walk to my house. I am concerned about; him wandering off :rolleyes: getting knocked over :eek: or being bullied on the way home/to mine :( or am I just being silly because all these things could happen even if he didn't have Aspergers.

I have to be honest and say that I would not, in fact I dont let my daughter who has Aspergers make her own way to or from school.

My neighbour takes and collects her and if she cant do it then I go. Its about a 25 min walk but I am too scared to let her walk it.

Oliver starts there in September and he will be walking there and back because he is a totally differant child.

But I guess these people know their child and know what he is and isnt capable of so Im sure they have thought it all through.

wendywu
07-03-2008, 04:04 PM
You can charge more for any special needs child as it can be harder work.:) I would certainly make it worth my while, as loads of big children indoors after school in bad weather can be a nightmare. You are not responsible for him until he is in your home.:)