PDA

View Full Version : appeal

madredann
27-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I had a variation request refused, have done a letter to appeal has anybody else ever appealed, what does it involve. Do I have to face a panel etc or is the final decision made and they inform me.

LittleAcorns
27-12-2009, 06:23 PM
not too sure as Ive never had any experience, best of luck and I hope someone can help

Mollymop
27-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry I can't help either as I haven't had to ask for one before. Hope someone else can help u and good luck

Pauline
27-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't know for sure but I don't think you would have to face a panel, it will probably just go to someone higher up to review and decide :)

madredann
28-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Thank you for your responses I am going to pop it in post this morning so fingers crossed hopefully they will get it this week so I can start ringing at the end of next week to see if a decision has been made. I wonder how long it will take? Mom and me are both waiting to know either way I have afeeling it will be turned down but at least I tried all that I could and hopefully she will send her lo a couple of times a week........we will see.
Julie:huh:

helenlc
28-12-2009, 01:20 PM
hopefully she will send her lo a couple of times a week........we will see.
Julie:huh:

So are you able to have LO for a couple of times a week now but mum wants more days? Is that why you were applying for a variation?

When I needed a variation a few months ago that was for new starters, I was pretty sure I wouldnt get it as Ofsted usually give them for continuity of care as opposed to being able to take on new children.

Anyway, someone suggested to me to take on the LOs on the day I COULD do and then after a few weeks, apply for a variation saying that Mum wanted extra hours. It should then be given as continuity of care as the children had already been with me for some time. (As it turns out, a friend had them as she needed a quick start and I couldnt guarantee to get a quick response from Ofsted!!)

Maybe that might be worth you doing.:thumbsup: Good luck either way.

madredann
28-12-2009, 03:04 PM
It is a long story but I didnt realise I couldnt have him full-time but was asking for a variation for areas eg garden conservatory as when I was inspected I was having extension built and deemed these areas unsafe at the same time I was checking if I could have him by asking by way of a variation I got confused as my 4 year old attended nursery I thought I had a space for him he has been coming since Setember but Ofsted are unaware that he has been coming. I have been able to say that he has been coming once a week because I have space on that day. When mom first approached me I was to share care for him with his gran but she broke her wrist and it isnt healing well so I have put that too just hope we can get it on continuation of care. It isnt that I get a huge amount for him but he is a lovely little boy and all the children would miss him too.

helenlc
28-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Hope things work out for you and this LO.:thumbsup:

Zoomie
28-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I remember reading about an appeal someone had attended. It was done at a local hotel, with the cm, and 2/3 people from ofsted, and it the decision was overtuned. :clapping:

perhaps if you read all the threads about variations you'll find it :)

So for how many days / hours a week do you need the variation, and for how long (till next mindee / son turns 5) ?

madredann
29-12-2009, 10:21 AM
He attends 8.30-3.15 wed but it would need to be mon-fri term-time only. It would need to be until July as after summer hols my daughter goes to school and other mindee starts nursery so I would have a full-time place

Tatia
29-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Does he put you over the 6 under 8s or the 3 under 5s? Cos OFSTED will never budge on the 6 under 8s but will find wiggle room for the rest so long as you can prove the needs of all the children in your care will be met.

I made the same mistake when my daughter started playgroup. I assumed that meant I could have another lo because she wasn't with me and the hours of the lo were the same as DDs playgroup (his mother worked thereso it was handy). When I twigged, I rang OFSTED myself and fessed up and was granted a variation.

Good luck!

madredann
30-12-2009, 10:33 AM
In my letter of appeal I did put about the other children and it would mean I would have 4 under 5 's including my daughters who are both at nursery. I have no 5-8's and one of 9 who sometimes comes. I did not let on that he had already been coming but wouldn't hide the fact if they came to inspect over this as I have paper work to show it. Now I know from my conversation that I cant have him. I have told mum for the next couple of weeks that I can only have him on Wednesdays and Friday afternoons when I am not over my numbers and in my letter of appeal put that he has been attending on those days-hoping for continuation of care.

beccas
30-12-2009, 01:14 PM
good luck..

my friend also a cm has asked for a variation to take on twins aged 9mnth and been refused...... :( she has 2 under fives ona mon and tues and rest of week 1 under five so she needs variation for mon and tues. No other minder in area has space for these girls so she appealing also. The twins have been comming to her house for a couple of hours on a fri every week since begining of nov. they are not starting till end of feb

forgot to mention she does not have any over 8mindees and her own children are 11 and 7..

madredann
30-12-2009, 02:36 PM
good luck..

my friend also a cm has asked for a variation to take on twins aged 9mnth and been refused...... :( she has 2 under fives ona mon and tues and rest of week 1 under five so she needs variation for mon and tues. No other minder in area has space for these girls so she appealing also. The twins have been comming to her house for a couple of hours on a fri every week since begining of nov. they are not starting till end of feb

forgot to mention she does have any over 8mindees and her own children are 11 and 7..

It will be interesting to see how my appeal goes, will keep forum posted as may help others if they have to go through same process. I hope your friend gets on ok too
Julie