PDA

View Full Version : Dining table

Rubybubbles
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
:( OKay mine is on it's last legs now! Done us really well but the chairs need tighting nearly every day (risk assesment hey!!) as when they get moved about 100000 times a day and they've had enough! my table is only about 8-9 years old how long should a table last I hav no idea?

So I need a new on, the one I want is far to £££ as from Next (to match my tv unit and coffee table:D ) and not enough space in my lounge/dining room! Or the fact I would have kittens everytime a toy got near it (you should see me with the tv unit:laughing: )

I'm currently looking at a smaller round glass one, with nice chairs that would match my sofa:D , it states all tempered glass ect ect, and have got little table for lo so could get them to use that more, I don't know what to do

What do you all have and what do you use for the mindies?

casey's mum
07-03-2008, 01:32 PM
My house is all nuetral colours and pine. My kitchen table is pine which is great cause when looking sad can be sanded back down and waxed again!

I love IKEA! lol

Twinkles
07-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I have a very large, very old and very battered table in my kitchen. It's used for cutting and sticking, painting, playdough, anything that involves glitter and so much more, oh! yeah and eating all meals. Every couple of years my dh sands it down and varnishes it and makes it look like new again but it doesn't stay that way for long.
I also have a small table and chairs in the playroom for doing jigsaws etc.

fionamal
07-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I have a small pine table and 4 chairs for the mindees in the dining room which sits alongside our own Antique pine table and chairs.

Wouldnt let mindees near our one as it would get ruined too easily.

ma7ie
07-03-2008, 03:01 PM
We've got all Jali furniture which cost us a fortune (bought before dd number 2 came along and I'd even considered childminding) and I'm so anal about getting it messed up. We've only got a small kitchen so we have to do arts and crafts in the dining room on my gorgeous table (well I think so anyway)
http://www.worldfurniture.co.uk/product/product_page.php?id=1691

I have got a small table for lo's from ikea for smaller activities
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20072816

sarah707
07-03-2008, 03:29 PM
i have a lovely Ikea table which is used and abused every day... it is covered in scratches and a bit wobbly now, but I've had it maybe 14 years, so no surprise there!

I'll get the same one again when I need to replace it ... it's from the Abo range I think :D

miffy
07-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I've got a big breakfast bar in the kitchen which is at table height plus two small red tables and chairs

My dining table is permanantly covered with protector and used by mindees for jigsaws games homework etc

Miffy xx

Heaven Scent
07-03-2008, 03:53 PM
I have a big oak table in the kitchen with mix and match chairs but in dining room which doubles as play room I have a table not as big as kitchen one but has a protector on and I've got a low table for jugsaws etc I think a trip to Ikea is in order as I love that table and chairs soooo reasonable too then I'd have 6 chairs in all but could always put the two I saved from when my two were little and put them in the attic incase they ever have Lo's of their own. I'm also despirate for storage especially after my shopping sprees this week. Cant seem to see any I can afford at the moment thats suitable - gaps between the shelves too wide I gave two great book shelves to a childminder in Sandbach just before I moved here I'm pig sick now. If I'd saved everything from my two I'd have saved a fortune.

Celine

Celine

buildingblocks
07-03-2008, 09:58 PM
My house is all nuetral colours and pine. My kitchen table is pine which is great cause when looking sad can be sanded back down and waxed again! I love IKEA! lol

Me too luckily for hubby nearest one is an hours drive away

berkschick
07-03-2008, 10:05 PM
I have that little Ikea table and chairs in the playroom!

In the dining room we have a newish ( 2 years old) table with 6 leather chairs.

The chairs have been scratched ( badle in some places) by the cats and the table has "signs of wear" haha and this was pre mindees!

I have got a protector thing for it now though.

Angela234
07-03-2008, 10:18 PM
My table and chairs are nearly a year old i keep a oil cloth cover on it all the time when the children are here and i have left the plastic covers on the seats (they are cream material) i have also put seat cushion pads on the childerns seats to stop the plastic breaking so far so good. the children also have a table and chairs, for crafts i have a strong wooden coffee table i take in the kitchen and cover with another oil cloth

I had a glass table years ago (25) my son was kneeling backwards on his chair , chair tipped towards table back of sons head hit the edge of the table and the glass snapped he was against the broken edge and chair pulled him up he was fine but i would never have a glass table again.

Angela

katickles
07-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh i have my table in the conservatory - which is part of my kitchen as they run through together. I have a fab table - had it 6 yrs or so. Bought it from focus at about £70 with 4 chairs. Chairs died years ago - used them in hubbys properties. Chairs i use are from IKEA at about £20 each.......lovely!

My "posh" dining table is in my dining room......................sooooooooooooooo out of bounds!!!!! We, my hubby & me rairly use this room as its for best only! I'd die if my dining room furniture got scratched or something!

crazybones
08-03-2008, 06:51 AM
My table is about 25+ years old. It came from mum and dads house when they died last year - it has so many memories of mum, dad and us 5 kids that I cant bear to throw it out. It is way too big for my room, when its extended you can fit about 12 round it. I remember Xmas with loads of people round it with partners, waifs and strays and babies dotted about in high chairs and it has to stay. Hopefully when I save for my conservatory it will go in there and fit perfect, the plan is to knock the kitchen into the conservatory and have the dining room in there. Then my dining room can become another kids room and I can keep the lounge clear from minding stuff.

Annie x

LittleMissSparkles
08-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I love Ikea too just wanted to add that , happy shopping for a table honey xxxx

deeb66
08-03-2008, 03:05 PM
My table and chairs are about 8-9 years old now.

I have a big wooden farmouse table but keep it covered with a vinyl table cloth.

I think it is perfect because I can sit 6 people round it very comfortably but have have 8 people sitting round it before.

Rubybubbles
08-03-2008, 03:29 PM
My table and chairs are nearly a year old i keep a oil cloth cover on it all the time when the children are here and i have left the plastic covers on the seats (they are cream material) i have also put seat cushion pads on the childerns seats to stop the plastic breaking so far so good. the children also have a table and chairs, for crafts i have a strong wooden coffee table i take in the kitchen and cover with another oil cloth

I had a glass table years ago (25) my son was kneeling backwards on his chair , chair tipped towards table back of sons head hit the edge of the table and the glass snapped he was against the broken edge and chair pulled him up he was fine but i would never have a glass table again.Angela

I've came to the decisson that glass is prob not he best way to go:eek: I would be beside myself if anything happened to a lo

Talked to hubby about it, and he said, he's going to glue the chairs as well and see if we can last them out longer, the table is fine, proof I'm a childminder but really good! Chairs, maybe getting some form Ikea (I love ikea too) would be a good idea-we'll see how hubby's handy work comes on:laughing:

Thanks for sharing everyone, you have all confirmed for me NOT to get a lovely new one:crying: haha

xx