PDA

View Full Version : Deposits

taiwallis
07-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I have never asked for 1 of these before!! When my son starts school in September, his place becomes free. I have someone wanting 3 days a week. I have explained that i will need a deposit and she said thats fine depending on how much it is. What would you normally charge for this?

berkschick
07-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I normally charge a weeks fees to be taken off the first bill but non refundable if they dont take the place up.

Twinkles
07-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes me too .

Rubybubbles
07-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Sounds good! You can charge whatever though:thumbsup: , but thing 1 weeks full fees sound resonable

angeldelight
07-03-2008, 01:36 PM
I usually charge a weeks fee also

I also make parent sign an agreement confirming that she understands if she does not take the place by the due date then she will lose the deposit it is none refundable
I also explain that it will come off the first weeks fees

Angel xx

taiwallis
07-03-2008, 01:39 PM
thanks so much - have left her a message so fingers crossed. she is a good client, teacher but happy to pay for his place full time during hols and will pick and choose if she sends him! i had read elsewhere that some charge a months fees but i thouhgt that was a little steep.
xx

Twinkles
07-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I think it depends on if you charge weekly or monthly. I do both to suit different families.

deeb66
08-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I tend to charge quite a large deposit which varies depending on whether the child is full or part time.

The minimum I have charged is £200 but on the provision that it will be deducted from the first months fee's therefore they have not lost anything in the long run.

The reason I started doing this is because I have been let down in the past.

susi513
10-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I have also been let down in the past. Also have been soft with 2 parents who lost their jobs and I let them off the notice period when I couldn't really afford to.

So now I charge 1 months deposit which I don't return until the last day of childcare, less any outstanding payments. Much easier to retain some/all of the deposit than to pursue final payment if there is a difference of opinion as to what should be paid for the notice period.

miffy
10-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I have also been let down in the past. Also have been soft with 2 parents who lost their jobs and I let them off the notice period when I couldn't really afford to.

So now I charge 1 months deposit which I don't return until the last day of childcare, less any outstanding payments. Much easier to retain some/all of the deposit than to pursue final payment if there is a difference of opinion as to what should be paid for the notice period.

I think that's a really good idea Susi

It's not something I've ever done but I can see the sense in making sure you're not out of pocket at the end of a contract so I am now thinking about it

Miffy xx

kellyg
10-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm glad this was asked, I have just had a couple round that require full time in september but will do some days to suit before then to get thier child used to it, I thought about charging 10% of their monthly bill but this would of course vary from month to month so I think I will charge 1 week - do you normally give this back on the last day of child care or would you just accept it as place holding - so non returnable?

Sorry if thats a silly question :blush:

DCS
10-03-2008, 05:19 PM
hiya all,

I require all my fees to be paid in advance. So I request 2 weeks deposit which I deduct from the last month of care & subject to the correct notice being given. This is in addition to a months/weekly/ fortnightly fees. that way if a parent falls behind, they have 2 weeks to sort themselves out or I will withdraw care. Some may think it harsh, but this way, I don't lose out. I like to call it minding my business!

ChocolateChip
10-03-2008, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=DCS;80102]hiya all,

I like to call it minding my business![/QUO
Like that bit!

I charge a weeks deposit and keep it until the end, otherwise like others have said you could be let down and left with nothing, or less!
:)