PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 most jaw dropping moments!!!!

Bananabrain
23-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Just having a moan to my son about my distinct lack of presents from parents,mum not bringing nappies after asking 4 times, parents turning up 2 hours early this week because they aren't working etc etc.
You know,the usual moans.
He suggested that I post on here.
So come on guys and gals, what is the most gobsmacking thing your parents have done or said?
Do you think channel 4 would be interested in making a show next Christmas?:laughing:
I think the one that takes it for me{and I can't take the credit for this, sorry can't remember who posted it} is the one where the childminder says she is going to a funeral and the parent turns up at said funeral with child in tow.
That one took my breathe away.
Can you lot do better?
Reckon my moans and gripes won't even get into the top ten:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

beccas
23-12-2009, 06:33 PM
saying that they are short of money and havent got enough to pay bills or go food shopping so can they pay next week, letting them off and then reading on facebook that they been out drinking that night....

~Chelle~
23-12-2009, 06:45 PM
One mum actually told me that she had cancer but I found out in the end that it was all lies :angry: . Kind gave it away when she said that the only reason she found out she was pregnant was because she was having treatment for cancer! She said that she would have to have an hysterectomy when the baby was born.

Anyhow, I kinda got suspicious when she had the baby and she was in and out in a matter of hours. She started getting funny with paying me, didnt turn up on payment days and I gave her notice.

When I questioned her about her "cancer" she said that I had a great imagination! :eeeek:

My husband and friend were in the other room at the time when she told me, so I knew I hadnt imagined it!

That is the worst one I have had :o(

Mollymop
23-12-2009, 06:49 PM
My gobsmaking moment was when mindee whispered to her mum at pick up time and mum whispered back to ask me.. "Can we look after Bilbo (my dog) this weekend?"

I was gobsmacked..."No sorry" was all I could say...I mean who borrows a dog?? He is my baby

Bananabrain
23-12-2009, 06:50 PM
OMG Chelle, that's out rageous.
See, I told you mine would be rubbish!
That's why I come on here because no matter how tough my day has been {and this year there have been times when I didn't think I could hold it together} there is always someone on here that can go one better!
Thankyou guys for getting me thru' and being so great.

The Juggler
23-12-2009, 07:12 PM
One mum actually told me that she had cancer but I found out in the end that it was all lies :angry: . Kind gave it away when she said that the only reason she found out she was pregnant was because she was having treatment for cancer! She said that she would have to have an hysterectomy when the baby was born.

Anyhow, I kinda got suspicious when she had the baby and she was in and out in a matter of hours. She started getting funny with paying me, didnt turn up on payment days and I gave her notice.

When I questioned her about her "cancer" she said that I had a great imagination! :eeeek:

My husband and friend were in the other room at the time when she told me, so I knew I hadnt imagined it!

That is the worst one I have had :o(

That's gotta make the top 3!

sarah707
23-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Many many years ago I supported a parent through a particularly messy divorce.

I had the child extra hours with no pay, was a shoulder to cry on, did all the over and above things you do when you think someone needs you and you are putting the child's needs first.

i'd even given her clothes for the children, food out of my fridge when she said she had none, fed her and the children extra, lived on payment promises once her money came through.

One morning, owing me 2 months' money, she didn't turn up. She completely disappeared!

I have never heard from her since. :panic:

I think that has to be my most jaw dropping moment.

It taught me a very valuable lesson that one did :D

~Chelle~
23-12-2009, 07:43 PM
That's gotta make the top 3!

lol she was a class act all right.

She even disappeared for a week, I got a text from her friend to say that her dad had taken ill (her mum and dad lived in spain) and she had to go out there to be with them. This was a week before I was due to start my holiday so I had no pay from her for 3 weeks.

When she came back she was in tears about her dad, said that she not sure if he was gonna make it and did she have to pay me for the week she was off. Told her that she did and the tears stopped like a tap being switched off and she said "fine, here you go" and paid and left.

I probably would have been sucked in, had I not seen the photos that her daughter brought in to show me of her "holiday" to spain, in which there was a photograph of her, her mum, her nan, her brother and her "ill" grandad on a log flume ride!:veryangry:

Blackhorse
23-12-2009, 07:43 PM
havent had one yet as all my parents are fab!!

~Chelle~
23-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Many many years ago I supported a parent through a particularly messy divorce.

I had the child extra hours with no pay, was a shoulder to cry on, did all the over and above things you do when you think someone needs you and you are putting the child's needs first.

i'd even given her clothes for the children, food out of my fridge when she said she had none, fed her and the children extra, lived on payment promises once her money came through.

One morning, owing me 2 months' money, she didn't turn up. She completely disappeared!

I have never heard from her since. :panic:

I think that has to be my most jaw dropping moment.

It taught me a very valuable lesson that one did :D

Nothing in this job surprises me anymore. It has made me a more stronger person and I dont put up with excuses any more:thumbsup:

x

Carol M
23-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Years ago when I told a parent I had to go into hospital for an op I was informed that would be inconvienient for them!
:laughing: :laughing:
Unbelieveable
Carol

Twinkles
23-12-2009, 08:07 PM
My friend had an emergency back operation and a day or two later was flat on her back in hospital only to be asked by a visiting parent ' Oh but you will still be ok to have J tomorrow won't you ? ' :laughing:

Lily Grace
23-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I had enough of one 10 year old mindee being mean to my DD and I asked mum to have a chat with her son about being nice to other people. The mum told me "as I do this sort of job and fill my house with children I should expect this sort of thing".

Alibali
23-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I phoned my parents from the Childrens hospital where my ds had been admitted for overnight observation for concussion and a ct scan and she said Oh right so can you phone in the morning to see if you can still have X!

helenlc
23-12-2009, 10:22 PM
When I gave notice to my 3 yr old mindee who had slapped me round the face a few times in a week - I terminated EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY on the Thursday and mum text 10 minutes after me telling her and asked if I was still having LO on the Friday????:eek:

sonia ann
23-12-2009, 10:48 PM
I had 11mth old mindee dropped off at 8.30am a few weeks ago as normal. Mum says had to take her to ED at weekend as very wheezy and they had changed her inhalers and she was to have them regularly. As I was writing new ones down I said "she's very wheezy now (understatement!) when did you last give them to her?"
"Oh not since last night....I haven't had time this morning"
How can you be too busy to give your baby important medication?????:(

nikim
23-12-2009, 11:08 PM
i am sure the one we have all heard is " do i still need to pay you?"
i had one a few weeks ago mum asked if i had space to have her 2 year old for a couple of hours so she could go xmas shopping , i said yes no prob then she said ............ wait for it ................ could you do it as a favour though cos i'm really skint at the moment :eek: :eek: :eek: ,

i said no of course

ORKSIE
23-12-2009, 11:44 PM
OMG:eek: I am so blessed, the worst I had was a Mum 1/2 hour late cos she went shopping, cos she hated taking the children!

Bananabrain
24-12-2009, 07:02 AM
:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:
These are fab guys. Shouldn't laugh but sometimes I don't know what else to do.
Sarah reminded me of one I had in the summer.
Was expecting the child on Monday morning, didn't turn up. Rang to find out if he was coming only to find that parents had split,mum had changed her number and moved 30 miles away! All in the space of a few days.

lou lou
24-12-2009, 07:58 AM
i had one mum turn up one day and said i should not be paying you and i should be accepting vouchers and i said to her what vouchers!! she said she had been in touch with the council and the man on the phone said her child minder should be claiming vouchers for looking after her little one, with that i phoned up this bloke to see what she was on about and he replied all he had said to her was has she claimed her vouchers for her little one who goes to play group, but the silly thing was he was five when she said this and just finished playgroup, i just could not believe she actually came round with no money and said she did not need to pay me and should not of been paying me!!! It almost felt as if she was saying to me that i had been ripping her off.

RedDragon
24-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I think my worst was regarding a child I had been caring for for 6 months.
I have an assistant on my Register - we take our minded children to each others houses quite often - only mess in 1 house when we are doing craft, only use 1 lot of electricity and we both have company).

1 parent had known me for 6 months, both lived in same village-like a lot of CMs I am well know in the village because I am out and about all the time.

Parent had not seen my assistants house but I had shown pics and it was spotless, lovely house, assistant had been a whisker away from Outstanding in latest OFSTED report.

Anyway, back to the point - parent came up to us both and said "I don't want YOU (assistant) looking after "baby" I pay YOU (me) to look after "baby". I mentioned that assistant was on my Register and mum had signed a separate sheet agreeing to what OFSTED allow us/assistants to do.

Parent then went on to say "Well, with all this Madeline McCann business you can't be too careful".

This is a parent who offered me her front door key while the house was empty because I walked so far to pick up her other child from Pre School - down a windy road with cars roaring past - she thought I would need a rest so offered me her key.

As soon as the 2 mile hike to the Pre School was finished and eldest went to school she put the youngest in a nursery.

twiggy
24-12-2009, 01:30 PM
I had a child turn up one day with his brothers school rucksack on his back. I enquired if it contained his brothers lunch for school and was told it was just some toys but mum could not take it from him. When mum had gone I checked what was in the bag to find it contained an epipen. What fun the child could of had playing doctors with the other children. I confronted mum on her return and she wasn't really bothered that she had put all the children in my care at risk.