PDA

View Full Version : Local council have terminated contract with NCMA

Lily Grace
22-12-2009, 08:13 PM
The childminders in our area have have had no support from a Development Worker for ages now since the last one left about 18 months ago. I had no support or advice regarding my ofsted report. It was only support through a friend I met at my ICP course that helped me as she had her ofsted inspection 3 months before me. My hubby works for the local council and he was told that the council terminated the contract with NCMA because they were not supporting the childminders. I think that this is pretty poor and i am not sure if I will be renewing my NMCA insurance next year. I went to the childminder drop-in at my local childrens's centre a couple of weeks ago and I was the only childminder there!!

Zoomie
22-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Have to say they are great in our area. All the DOs I've met (abt 3 now), even the lady who runs the local office.

Well worth my subs for that, but sadly that is obviously not the case across the country.

Does MM also bid for these contracts with the council ?

Lily Grace
22-12-2009, 08:32 PM
I think the contract will be tendered from Jan 2010.

The Juggler
22-12-2009, 09:29 PM
you should check it out first. we had an DO who reported to NCMA and our early years team, but officially employed by NCMA. council had a restructure and got rid of the job, terminating contract with NCMA in the process. They had their own DO's still do but they are not 'supporting' us as we'd like.

I wouldn't believe all your told.

Pudding Girl
22-12-2009, 09:32 PM
SCMA here but my DO is a pile of crud unless you happen to be one of the favoured few :mad: we get surveys out yearly and I know I wasn't the only one to answer very negatively!

I do feel that DO's should work for all too regardless of if members of NCMA?SCMA and should be council based instead.

sarah707
23-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Does MM also bid for these contracts with the council ?

No MM are an insurance company.

they have recently added benefits to their childminding package such as a free online magazine and email newsletter.

:D

breezy
23-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Our DO is useless unless you're one of her favourites :(

jumpinjen
23-12-2009, 07:01 PM
our local early years team refuse to work eith NCMA but that's only cos they're pig headed...... my DO now calls her support visits 'monitoring visits' and treats me like an employee.... there is no support only checking up that I am 'doing what I'm supposed to be doing' !!!!!

Next year they want to pull out of the quality comes first network and if they do it will scupper me from becoming an accredited minder and having early years funded children. I'm getting political about it!

I e-mail and call my area rep and she tells me honestly what the position is with early years. Try calling and asking what the deal as in my experience, council departments lie to make themselves look better!

jenni x

The Juggler
23-12-2009, 07:11 PM
SCMA here but my DO is a pile of crud unless you happen to be one of the favoured few :mad: we get surveys out yearly and I know I wasn't the only one to answer very negatively!

I do feel that DO's should work for all too regardless of if members of NCMA?SCMA and should be council based instead.

our DO is council based though and still fits your description above! the one we had when NCMA were around was much better. If your DO is with NCMA, have you spoken to them. Otherwise, they may decide to disband your links with NCMA and leave you with no network (which is what happened to us!).

mandy moo
24-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I know Ive got a few people on the forum that are nearr to me,
but as for a DO never heard a thing from day 1!
it'll be 2 yrs at the end of March.