PDA

View Full Version : variation and numbers

madredann
22-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I have sent a variation request in to Ofsted to care for a 14 month old. I have 2 children of my own aged 4 (full time nursery) and 2 years 9 months. I also care for 2 sisters one of which I drop at nursery with my daughter at 7.45 and pick up at 3.30pm (these were added to my certificate last December on a variation). The little boys mom works at the school where my daughter goes to nursery and is dropped at my house at 8.30 and I take to his mom at 3.15 before picking the girls up from nursery. This request has been refused but ..... I thought you could care for 3 under 5's at any one time and I have been doing this since September !!! What do I do now? Has anybody else appealed against a decision. I am going to appeal because I work very hard and do all paperwork e.g observations, assessments and planning(as i'm sure all chidminders do) My daughter loves the little boy and the routine works really well. Help!!!
Julie

beccas
22-12-2009, 06:13 PM
you can care for 3 under fives but this has to include your own children.... so if your daughter is at school you could care for another one while she was at school but not at home time.

madredann
22-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks for your reply. One of my children attend pre-school full-time but not school until September. This little boy is term-time only too
Julie

beccas
22-12-2009, 06:48 PM
i would ring and ask what youcan and cant have and why if you dont ask you wont know.

Zoomie
22-12-2009, 09:43 PM
thing is, you have to consider how your numbers would look if your DD was home cos nursery was closed for (eg) training.

madredann
22-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I wouldnt have him if nursery was closed and his mum has a bit of support from family so would understand if I couldnt have him in some circumstances. She works in the school so has same holidays as my daughter does from nursery
thanks for your replies it helps to have other peoples views. I understand the fact that you have to include your own children in your ratio but I think in some circumstances you should be allowed a little bit of credit in the fact that you are a professional and wouldnt put children at risk. If I thought I was doing that back in September then I wouldnt of took him on. It is a shame for him to have to go somewhere else as he gets on so well with the other children. The lady I spoke to at Ofsted said that you cant take on a new child but if it was a sibling of the children I look after at the mo then it would be ok. I understand the continuity of care thing but an extra person is an extra person sibling or not.
I had permision to look after the 2 sisters now I only have one of them(the other goes to nursery with my daughter) surely it makes sense that I could have another child in her place making 3 in total when I had the 2 sisters and my 2 children at home I had 4!
I will definately appeal.

mushpea
23-12-2009, 07:12 AM
your child at full time nursery is included in your under 5's wether they are there or not, if the boy is contracted all day so your paid whilst he is at nursery then he is still included in your under 5's whether he is there or not so this could be why the refusal

madredann
23-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks, my daughter is at nursery the little boy is at home with me but he is not here when she is, if you see what i mean.
I am going to wait for the refussal to come through post and then try to appeal I don't suppose they will back down but it is worth a try. What do you think my chances are?
I dont see the difference between full time nursery and school in this instance the nursery keep a register to prove she is there and I know my daughter is my responsibility(still would be when she is in school, whats the difference) but if anything happened to her in an emergency the little boys mom works at the same school so would take him with me and drop him to her plus I have a husband who is equally responsible and could collect her. I suppose I am annoyed because due to my own miss-reading of my registration certificate I took him on and know it works really well and all children in my care are well provided for and safe that now I have to tell his mom I cant have him and really cant justify Ofsteds reasons as I only have 3 under 5's with me at any one time!

madredann
23-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Could I take on an assistant. It would be my dad who is nearly 75 bless him he is very active and still works at the moment as a delivery driver can you believe it. All the kids are familiar with him as he visits most days to help me anyway-they call him grandad, he looks like santa! He would actually look after my 2 year old daughter not the children I care for and he would never be left alone with any of the children?