PDA

View Full Version : how many schoolies

mushpea
22-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Just wondering how many after schoolies you have and what you do with them?

at the moment i have 4 including my own two and may possibly be having two more nextmonth, i also have 2 or 3 littlys depending on the days, we do crafts, cooking , wii, playstaion, games, puzzles toys etc, is this enough? i feel i can cope with 2 more but just wonded how you all get on .

sarah707
22-12-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm doing a course in playwork at the moment to try and extend my knowledge of what to do with the older ones.

I've always done what you are doing, but this course is telling me that older ones need slightly different things and to be managed in a different way.

It's fascinating!

You can get more information about playwork if you are interested here -

http://www.commonthreads.org.uk/index.html

Including a free email copy of their latest magazine.

Hth :D

The Juggler
22-12-2009, 08:28 AM
i vary. my two 7 and 10, then 10 year old and rising 5 or my two plus 5 and 7, and rising 5. sometimes my two, 10 year old, 9 year old and 6 year old. When I have the five I only have one little one the other days only 1 or 2 under 5.

beccas
22-12-2009, 08:45 AM
5 minded after schools plue my own 3, ages 11,11,9,8,8,6,6,5, then sometimes i have 1 or 2 under lo's aged 3,2 or under 1 depending on what day. we do homework, and cratfs or educational fun, drawing etc..... I let them choose

miffy
22-12-2009, 09:10 AM
I have between 4 and 6 after-schoolers from 4yo to 12yo. The younger ones are happy to play or do crafts, colouring etc.
The older ones enjoy the crafts but also like the computer and occasionally do their homework or at least research it on the internet.

Miffy xx

miffy
22-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm doing a course in playwork at the moment to try and extend my knowledge of what to do with the older ones.

I've always done what you are doing, but this course is telling me that older ones need slightly different things and to be managed in a different way.

It's fascinating!

Thanks for the link Sarah

Miffy xx

mushpea
22-12-2009, 09:51 AM
will definatly have a look at the link thanks, seen a corse on that round here before but it was during the week so couldnt go.

hello kitty
22-12-2009, 09:57 AM

It's fascinating!

I did that course with them and yes it does make you think in a different way. However incorporating that thinking with under 5's in the equation too is a bit of a challenge! Useful course to go on though. :)

nokidshere
22-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't do anything much with mine to be honest!

They do their own thing. Often there will be a couple on the Wii, one or two watching tv, another couple with Hamma beads or drawing stuff and some of them like to play hide and seek.

But then I don't really have anyone under 7 these days and by the time they have got back from school, had a snack and slobbed out a bit its time for dinner then home.

caz3007
22-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I have 5 after schools and my own DS, the age range is 7 - 11. To be honest they dont like or have the time to do anything organised. We get home, have tea and then they are collected at 5. Usually the four older boys play on the game consul or watch TV and the girl and my DS go upstairs to play something in my DS's bedroom.

Occassionally I have some of them for a day in the holidays and then we do more crafty stuff and they love making their own pizza's, the only time we have for this is in the holidays though, so it keeps it special.

mushpea
22-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Occassionally I have some of them for a day in the holidays and then we do more crafty stuff and they love making their own pizza's, the only time we have for this is in the holidays though, so it keeps it special.

mine too, we have friday nights as pizza making nights, i have 4 schoolies in the hols at the moment plus the littlys, I have 6 kids somedays and its mad but fun and never a dull moment!!

caz3007
22-12-2009, 01:47 PM
mine too, we have friday nights as pizza making nights, i have 4 schoolies in the hols at the moment plus the littlys, I have 6 kids somedays and its mad but fun and never a dull moment!!

Fridays are our burger nights. One of my afterschoolies persuaded his mum to let him come on a Friday just for the burgers. :)

janminder
23-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I have 5, 3 or 4 depending on what night is is. Monday we go to the local library after school where a couple may finish homework, I do school book reading with the younger ones, the older ones are on the computer first to look up school stuff and then they can go on games for 10 to 15 minutes. Some of them do afterschool clubs during the week. If we come straight home they generally watch a bit of TV, play board games, drawing, imaginary play.

On Friday its feast night where they sit round the table to a help yourself buffet with an assortment of meats, pizzas, pasta, potatoes, salad, garlic bread, humous dips which they help to prepare and set out. It makes for a really nice social evening for them and a lot of washing up for me after they have gone.

amanda1309
23-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't do anything with mine really. I don't have the time to be honest.
we don't get home till 3.50 and they all go home between 4 and 5.
I give one of them tea so this happens between 5 and 5.30.