PDA

View Full Version : Help I've been summoned for Jury Service

Muffin
21-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Just got a summons to do Jury Service starting half term in Feb. Has anyone been excused from Jury service due to the amount of families that will be without childcare.

sweets
21-12-2009, 12:43 PM
never done it but its something i dread! my dad did it once though and said it was interesting.

not sure if you could get out of it but worth a try if you dont want to do it.

Muffin
21-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I've always dreaded being called. I feel sick just thinking about it. I know I'll have to do it but I don't want to

ORKSIE
21-12-2009, 01:09 PM
I was summoned once, I got out of it because I told them I was moving out of the area and would be moved by the time I would be needed:phew:

Muffin
21-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Guess I need to move then LOL

haribo
21-12-2009, 01:13 PM
you can defer it the first time i think.. you hve to write to them and tell them whats involved -being self employed etc and how hard it will be to arrange care for your families .sometimes trials drag on for weeks or months can you imagine telling your parents you wont be availlable :eek: .. good luck although if you do end up doing it its meant to be very interesting my dh did it although they sat round playing cards most of the time :laughing:

ORKSIE
21-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Guess I need to move then LOL

I moved from the South to the East:laughing: :laughing:

christine e
21-12-2009, 02:36 PM
HI

My sister was summoned a few years ago and asked to be excused because she had 4 young children she had to write in and list her reasons which was 4 young children hard to find childcare as she lives in a rural community and not close to family. She was told it would all come down to how many others who, had been summoned , put in similar requests. If too many asked to be excused then they would have to put them in order of priority eg someone who was ill, pre booked holidays etc etc

Hopefull you will be ok

Cx

mabel
21-12-2009, 02:37 PM
explain your circumstances and how you will be letting families down, I think our job is a little different to so many others
(although I would quite like to do jury service but have never been called...
sounds like a nice week off!)

LisaH
21-12-2009, 03:07 PM
I did jury service years ago before I started minding and really enjoyed it.

I think if you write to them and explain the circumstances tho you may be excused:)

Muffin
21-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably write a letter to see if I can be excused. No harm in trying. any ideas for the wording of the letter?

angeldelight
21-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably write a letter to see if I can be excused. No harm in trying. any ideas for the wording of the letter?

" I DONT WANT TO DO IT NOW LEAVE ME ALONE "

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Muffin
21-12-2009, 03:43 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
21-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Seriously though Just tell the truth

Explain your situation - hours etc

How many families it would affect etc

Explain it could put you out of a job if the jury service goes on for longer than a few weeks

My hubby did it and it lasted 6 weeks

Good luck let us know what they say and we can then all have a copy of the letter just incase we get called up ha ha

Angel xx

nell57
21-12-2009, 03:56 PM
A childminding friend of mine had the call up for jury duty last year. I dont know the exact details, but she had a legal secretary to type up her letter, explaining about letting down a number of families ect, but couldn't get out of it.

Its worth try though, you never know:thumbsup:

Good luck

angeldelight
21-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Might be a good idea to get the parents to write a letter too saying how it would put them in a mess

you can then send the letters with yours

xxx

Muffin
21-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Anything is worth trrying. Thanks

xx

Hebs
21-12-2009, 04:25 PM
sorry but i'd be livid if i was summomed and it ended up loosing me all my parents, essentially putting you out of business
i'd refused to do it
:angry:

just lock them all up :thumbsup:

christine e
21-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Anything is worth trrying. Thanks

xx

If you are a member of NCMA you could try them for advice

Cx

Ripeberry
21-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Self employed people should be excused as someone said before, you could lose all your customers and also what do you do for money in the meantime? Or do they re-inburse you? :rolleyes:

Hebs
21-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Self employed people should be excused as someone said before, you could lose all your customers and also what do you do for money in the meantime? Or do they re-inburse you? :rolleyes:

i think there is a limit on how much they reinburse you

also as a single mum i dont have people to see to my kids :thumbsup:

thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it :laughing:

i really hope you manage to sort it Debb x

sarah707
21-12-2009, 06:01 PM
I did jury service many years ago when I lived in London.

I spent 2 weeks sitting in a jury room reading my book waiting to be called... and never once got asked to be on a jury!

I'd take advice from the Ncma, I'm sure they have experience with these things.

hth :D

The Juggler
21-12-2009, 06:04 PM
never done it but its something i dread! my dad did it once though and said it was interesting.

not sure if you could get out of it but worth a try if you dont want to do it.

I got an exemption totally from it. shame, I'd always wanted to do it when was working in an office. I had two new babies starting in September when they wanted me and woudl have been workign for 6 families. I explained how many people it would put out. I thought I'd get a deferral but they said I was excused.

Thought I'd post the letter here in case anyone else needs to apply! It worked for me!

Muffin
21-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks everyone.
I'm going to write and asked to be excused although I think I'll have to do it anyway, a friend of mine tried but still had to go.

I'll let you all know when I get a reply

Debb

samgeordie
21-12-2009, 07:20 PM
I got a summons in march this year and really had to fight to get out of it, i wrote a letter explaining my circumstances but it didnt help and even with me phoning in tears still didnt get them to back down. I then got all the parents of my mindees to write letters explaining all the problems created by my service not being available, i then got a call to say my name had been taken off the list and i was not needed.

Get the parents to write things like - continuity in care is important, they have no other childcare back up and will have to take time off work and loose money etc, how it will effect the children etc

good luck

gegele
21-12-2009, 07:30 PM
you get a form for referral or excuse it's mainly ticking and only a few line to put. i was excused i think (or was it only deferred for 2yrs???). i was pregnant with my 2nd and didn't have childcare.

they do pay some of the childcare. as for the losing of salary i think jury is a duty no?

The Juggler
21-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone.
I'm going to write and asked to be excused although I think I'll have to do it anyway, a friend of mine tried but still had to go.

I'll let you all know when I get a reply

Debb

Debb, did you see I attached the letter I used. It worked for me, worth a go.

Eileen322
21-12-2009, 08:22 PM
I was summoned a couple of years ago for jury service at the Old Bailey. I wrote a letter explaining that I had young children myself plus childminding ones and was excused. The amount of money they were offering to pay to do it was rubbish and I would have been completely out of pocket:eek: :eek: It was a shame as I would have like to have done it, you never know I may be called up again! Think you can only refuse to do it once!

Muffin
21-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Debb, did you see I attached the letter I used. It worked for me, worth a go.

Yes it's really good thank you I'll adapt it

Debb x

Annie_T
21-12-2009, 09:25 PM
can get out of it with good enough reason hun

i wouldnt worry about it tbh its straight forward stuff.

i know families would be left without care but you got more than your 4 weeks notice to give parents to find alternative care

Daisy1956
21-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I was excused when I explained how many families would have to look for alternative care but it was a few years ago and things may have changed.

sophiestars
21-12-2009, 09:58 PM
My other half was summoned a couple of years age. He was looking forward to a change from work but ended up waiting around alot and never did the trial in the end because of problems with one of the witnesses not being available or something.

From my understanding you can be excused once but it is only deferred and you end up having to do it at another time by law. There is a time limit you can defer it to I think.

The Juggler
22-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Yes it's really good thank you I'll adapt it

Debb x

fingers crossed for you hon.x

janminder
22-12-2009, 08:43 AM
I got called many years ago and explained that I had families that would have to find alternative childcare which could prove very hard, but I also have a bad back and cannot sit for long periods of time so said they would also have to let me get up and walk about. I didnt have to do it and they never asked for any proof but it could have changed now.

Good luck.

Muffin
02-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Just got a letter excusing me from Jury Service, I'm so relieved.
Thanks everyone for your help
x

Hebs
02-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Just got a letter excusing me from Jury Service, I'm so relieved.
Thanks everyone for your help
x

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

christine e
02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Great news:jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

Cx

Mia'smummyx
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I was called whilst working in a pre school, I loved it!!! not to sure why people worry about it so much (think i liked it so much because im so nosey lol) you can claim loss of earnings, you also get lunch paid and petrol, i suppose it depends the area you live.
Good luck
x

The Juggler
02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I was called whilst working in a pre school, I loved it!!! not to sure why people worry about it so much (think i liked it so much because im so nosey lol) you can claim loss of earnings, you also get lunch paid and petrol, i suppose it depends the area you live.
Good luck
x

i would love to do it if my employer continued to pay me whilst I went but their 'loss of earnings' is peanuts and you might lose mindees as no-one knows how long you will stay. you could be there months if you get on a fraud or murder case:eek:

margaret
02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
i cm for 5 families and had to do jury sevice last year for 11 days i was fully reimbursed for all money i would have lost and all meals paid for ,i would rather have minded as it was really boring as i had to attend for all 11 days from 9-5

devoncm
02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Glad you got it sorted, my mum does jury service quite often well one every few years,, i thought you can only do so many but apparently not, she had travel expenses paid and wages paid for so that she wasnt out of pocket

childminder54
02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I did it sometime ago and claimed for my children being minded, I think you can claim for loss of earns as well, I ENJOYED IT.

veronicax