PDA

View Full Version : Starting a blog

jumpinjen
20-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi,

I want to start a blog to record the adventures of our childminding group..... i don't want to put pics of the children on there are oanything, but information and links about the things we are working on to do with the EYFS and the like, funding we are applying for, charity events etc, so that more people can access the group.

Only thing is, i have no clue how to startb one, and where to go.... any help gratefully received!!

Thanks, Jenni:laughing:

sarah707
20-12-2009, 11:33 AM
I use blogspot - it's free, very easy to use and has good Google ratings as it's owned by them.

I type up stuff in Microsoft Word then copy and paste it into blogspot and mess about with the spacing etc to make it look right.

Chell recommended it to me when I first started mine.

It's - http://knutsfordchildminding.blogspot.com if you want to have a nosey around :D

jumpinjen
20-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Sarah,

that's fantastic, I've been over and started my blog, it all seems very complicated though, how do I add a resource, as in, if i wanted to put one of my own files that I'd writen on word up on the blog for others to download and use?

Thanks!! Jen

sarah707
20-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure... I imagine it's the same way as you upload pictures.

Best read the tech help, sorry... or maybe Chell knows..? You could ask her.

I know how to add website / email links. :idea:

You put the name of the site you want to add, highlight it and go to the paperclip icon...

Then type it in there and it will work when someone clicks on it.

You don't need to have the name of the site like I tend to use - you can put words 'my website' etc and highlight and link those.

I use the web addresses because getting hits is all about getting links and one site links to the other, so helping your Google ratings.

I hope this makes sense :D

jumpinjen
20-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Yes that does make sense sarah, thankyou, but what are google ratings??

I had a search on line for how to add a word file and it's very complicated, the gist of it is that you have to store it in an online file storage set-up then it will have a web adress and can be retrieved as a file, but the one they recommended has closed to new members and i can't work out how to do any others!!!!

I know some people use boxnet but they charge for their services!

can I link to your site?

If you want to take a look the blog is at
http://little-blossoms-childminding.blogspot.com/

Jenni:blush:

sarah707
20-12-2009, 07:40 PM
That is really nice Jenni!

Yes of course you can add me... and I'll add you next time I'm on mine.

Google ratings are all about getting links, adding people, having words that Google finds when people make searches...

So your titles need to reflect the things people might search for like 'Eyfs' 'planning' etc...

And you can use the 'labels' bit to hammer that as well with labels such as eyfs, planning, childminder, childminding etc.

They are all key words to give your site more prominence.

A good way to manage your planning sheet might be to set up a free googlemail address which is just for your blog - then if it gets spammed it's no great loss, you can just make a new one.

Say to people - email me for my planning sheet - and diary it for once a week or so to go into the email and check for requests.

Highlight email me and put your email address into the links bit.

That will also help you to monitor who is getting your information and stop it being shared with all and sundry. If an email address worries you, don't send out your stuff.

Also think about putting your work into Adobe pdf format before you share it with a copyright symbol. That way if it ends up on Ebay you have some comeback.

I use www.primopdf.com - recommended by Pauline. You can play with the settings to make it safer.

Hth :D