PDA

View Full Version : working with another childminder

beccas
19-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi i am after some help my sister is wanting to become a childminder but as she still lives with mummy and daddy ( shes 21) she wants to work with me i dont know how this would work does she have her own numbers or does she have to just to have the children i look after like a assistant she is also wanting to know what would she have to do first should i call ofsted or what i know she will need a crb check first but what about everything else my local council will pay for all training for her and i told her she needs to do it all. Which is looking forward to but we dont know about numbers etc....

jumpinjen
19-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi,

As far as I understand it, once a registered childminder she can have her own children, but the space that you have in your home will restrict how many you can have in total, it won't necessarily be twice the numbers, but you may be able to have more under fives working together. I think that you get inspected together too if you work as a team, sounds exciting, I'd love to work with someone as a team!

jenni :laughing:

beccas
19-12-2009, 03:11 PM
will let you know just emailing you now.....

where in wolverhampton are you my cus's live in pendeford.

jumpinjen
19-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Just around the corner from them, in Fordhouses, just a walk away over the canal!!

What a small world!

jen x

The Juggler
19-12-2009, 04:11 PM
she could maybe work as your assistant whilst she's becoming registered. but, then you'd have to pay her rather than her having her 'own' children as income.

You need to think very carefully, epsecially working with family. Will all the kids you have equal a joint income split down the middle, what expenses will you deduct from her income as you are providing the setting. If you have your own key children and split incomes from those children, what happens if a child leaves - does one of you then earn less or would you redistribute the income as you both probably offer some care to all the other children. What if she starts but doesn't find any children straight away, will you then have to 'pay' her some of your income - so you will be worse off than you are now?

It's a toughie, much harder than husband/wife team where you are probably sharing all the work, income and expenses as it goes to the same household and to feed your family.

However, if you can do it, it would be fantastic. Just have a really good honest discussion with her about it.

beccas
19-12-2009, 04:26 PM
shes my lil sis and is happy with me paying her what ever once she is registered we will see what ofsted say about ratios and work it out after expenses and everythingthen we will divide whats left.

The Juggler
19-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I think it would be lovely then, if you have a strong relationship with her. go for it!

beccas
19-12-2009, 06:10 PM
yes we do thankfully i have another sister as well inbetween us two but she can be a pain in bum she ahs a little boy and i always aget a phone call can i pick him up from school, have him on a sat all day...... but on aunty rates...... i dont mind but sometimes it takes the ****...

will let you all know how i go.... she has done her level 2 in early years practices so she half way there..