View Full Version : injesting a coin

06-03-2008, 09:20 PM
If it couldnt get any worse - my son at bedtime started screaming saying ' mummy i am so sorry i swallowed the money' - he is now at A&E with hubby. Spoke to school nurse, as i didn't want to call NHS direct - i was actually just going to leave it - kids swallow things and it comes out in their poop?? She said that it is vvvv serious and he has to be xrayed etc. so waiting to hear. Had to tell vvv annoying client well in advance just in case i am not there tomorrow - i know it will all be fine and i will be but thougth with recent events i should do my due diligence - if that is what it is called - anyone else had someone that has swallowed something - is it really as serious as they say?

06-03-2008, 09:23 PM
oh gosh hope he is ok.

Mindee swallowed a paperclip and hospital just said it would come out in poo.
(It did, the next day when she was with me, she swallowed paperclip when she at home)

what kind of coin did he swallow?

is the client the nasty witch?

too many questions?

06-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Depends...it can simply go through his system...however it can get lodged & do serious damage..most cases it's located, then a decision is made as to whether to operate & remove or not. Do you know how big the coin was?

06-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Depends on how big it is...

My ds swallowed a penny when he was little and it came out a few days later...

I hope it goes ok and they're not too late back! :D

06-03-2008, 09:25 PM
yup - nasty nasty witch - she however said in one sentence, 'i expect this will be fully refunded and i will find alternative childcare, just in case you let me down at the last minute again' followed by - 'would you like to drop your daughter off with me so you can join your husband at hospital'??? errr - no thanks love. xxx
no news yet - will have to wait and see.

06-03-2008, 09:27 PM
oh - and established it is silver - so i reckon it must be 5p. I was going to be quite brutal and just leave it but nurse reckons that because it is bedtime and he is going to be lying flat, it wont go down the system and if he coughs in the night he might 'injest it' and it could be fatal?????? God this is just a waiting game now and apart from writing here i just pace the house!!! but don't want to wear the floorboards too much - rented you see!

06-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Has she given you notice...or was she just talking about tomorrow?

06-03-2008, 09:29 PM
thinking of you hunny, let us know as soon as you hear anything xxx

06-03-2008, 09:31 PM
My middle son unscrewed the stair gate when he was 2 and and swallowed a nut (bolt type not pea). I was lying on the couch with a perforated ear drum in absolute agony as it was just seconds away from perforating. It was about the size of a 20p but quite thick. Rang NHS direct and gave them details and they said "Oh yes Ciaran, this is the third time you have rung about him" I was mortified thought social services would come. The first time I rang he ran into door frame and I wasnt sure if he had knocked himself out or not and the second time he had one of those toy microphone stands in his mouth and cut an almost full circle of skin on the roof of his mouth, it was just hanging by a flap. Anyway he is nearly 9 now and survived all this before he was 2 :laughing: . The nut came out in his poop 2 days later and hubby sterilsed it and put it back on stairgate :laughing: . I did get a new gate a couple of weeks later though because the nut always looked a funny green colour compared to the rest.

Hope he is ok.

Annie x

06-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Hope he'll be ok.

Avril x:)

06-03-2008, 09:31 PM
oh dear

hope all is ok and let us know what happens tomorrow


06-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Any news from A&E yet?

Hope he's okay.

06-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Hope he's ok!

06-03-2008, 09:50 PM
oh honey I hope he will be ok, i remember swallowing a 2p when I was small and it lodged in my wind pipe straight across it it was a horrible experience I remember my dad doing the himlick ( spelt wrong ) manover on meto try move it and in the end he hung me uop by my legs and smacked me on the back till i coughed it out , was very scary. I really hope he will be ok xxxx

06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
dont know if last response actually posted - i did it but didnt seem to work?
he is fine - on way back now - he has been prodded and poked, but seemed to like it - they reckon it is unfair to expose children of his age to xrays, so just wait and see - if he is sick then take him back.. hubby not amused as it was on friends advice to go, but as a nurse i guess she is legally obligated to suggest we go to hospital - ps. hospital is good 40 min drive...... can't wait to have him back - guess he is in our bed tonight!! thanks you guys sooo much...

06-03-2008, 09:53 PM
thats a relief ... fingers crossed it will work its way down and out tommorow xxx

06-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Happy hunting!

06-03-2008, 09:56 PM
glad all is well xxxxxxxxxxxx

06-03-2008, 09:59 PM
That's good news hopefully tomorrow nature will take it's course with no further problems

Hope you get a good night's sleep

Miffy xx

06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
My youngest swallowed five pence and nhs direct told us just let nature take it's course, which it did.
My middle son swallowed a bit from the playmobile pirate's ship when he was about three, one of the cannon balls and came running into me and said
' Mummy mummy I've swallowed a bomb '
he's nineteen now and we still remind him of it :D

06-03-2008, 10:08 PM
my daughter swallowed a two pence when she was younger i was at work
father in law came to get me to take her to the hospitol but she was sick in he back of his car and the two pence came out

still have it to this day


06-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Glad hes ok My son shallowed a coin years ago when he was 3 a nurse who lived a few doors away told me to give him a jam sandwich to make sure it goes down and let nature take its course and keep a look out for it 2 or 3 days later it came out.


Heaven Scent
06-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Glad he's ok understand where your husband is coming from but its better to be safe than sorry.


07-03-2008, 12:07 AM
oh bless him, least he told you hun ..just think of it that way.

im sure he be ok but im no doc.. just have wait and see,

update when can hun x

07-03-2008, 04:30 AM
glad he is going to be ok

bye pink:o

Splish Splosh
07-03-2008, 08:27 AM
we were on holiday in turkey my son who is now 10 swallowed 5p he was 2 at the time wasnt going to the hopital over there so flushed him through with fruit and water came out next day and 5p was purple! Still we have it in his treasure box. glad your little one ok though.

07-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Glad he was ok but better to be safe than sorry

Hope things are a bit calmer today

Angel xx

08-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Only just catching up with this one.

Have you got it yet?

When I was young I swallowed a 5p....the old big style one!

My parents were told to watch out for it the other end.....had to go to the loo on a bucket for a few days....yuk!!