PDA

View Full Version : I layed the law down and feel great !!

loobyloo168
18-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, i wrote a letter today to my parent, i have just the one and she wasnt happy !

The letter stated that from 1st February 2010 I will be charging FULL hours so that if you drop your child off at 1115 i will charge from 1100 and if you collect your child at 1830 I will charge til 1900.

At the moment I charge part hours £3full hour or £1.50 for half hour or 75p per minute mad i know, especially when shes ill or on holiday and i charge half price !

It then went on to say that as of the same time if i am not notified the night before that your child will be absent i will charge full price.

She has a habit of letting me know an hour before i pick her daughter up from school.

Also stated that any change to contarted times would require 28 day notice, and if extra hours were required i couldnt guarantee i can do them.

I came off holiday last year to her telling me she was starting work half an hour earlier so she would pick DD up at 1830 rather than 1900, so i deducted £1.50 an hour form her daily fee to cover the half hour less. But she doesnt finish work till 1830, doesnt arrive till 1840 or later if shes fallen out with her "friend".

It also said that if he didnt agree with the changes she could gove me two weeks written notice and find someone else to care for her child, and reiterated that the changes didnt come into effect until 1st February 2010 so you have ample time to arrange alternative childcare or inform tac credits of any changes.

Oh and that the changes were no negotiable !

Well i told the letter said as she asked, so she said

"well when i drop her off at 1215 in the holidays you'll charge me from 1200" Yes i said

"well ill drop her off at 1200 then"
Then i said, because i charge you until 1830, you dont actually finish work until 1830 so you dont get here until later, so i will charge you until 1900.

She said

"Thats a big difference (£1.50 a day £4.50 a week !) and i do get here at 1835"

So i said well if you dont agree find someone else to have her and give me two weeks written notice.

HER FACE WAS A PICTURE ! For a second it was rage, then she said in a high pitched voice thanks very much, thats nice.

So i said well its only what other chilminders in the area charge so i dont see why i should lose out and be different, and you do have until 1st February to let tax credits know or find someone else.

I also pointed out to her that when she gave me an hours notice (as always) two weeks ago that her child wouldnt be coming for two weeks, because she (mother) had collapsed the day before and her mum would be coming to look after her and stay for a few extra days so i wouldnt be needed. Its not enough notice for me to arranage other things (my sister had asked me to go out with her and my daughter but said i couln't cus i had to mind, then got an hours notice that i had two weeks off).

Then she went in her high pitched voice " thats fine, no thats absolutley fine"

I took my meesley wages for this week and last of £42.75 and closed my door and felt liberated and empowered !!!

Thank you to the people that told me i should change my terms a couple of weeks ago.

What a feeling, thank you for reading ! xxx

TheBTeam
18-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Wow, I think you are generous in not charging if she doesn't come, to me knowing the night before is not enough to warrant her not paying for the availability of the place!

PixiePetal
18-12-2009, 07:36 PM
WOW! Get you!!! :clapping:

I am much more assertive since being on the forum. :thumbsup:

Parent who was due to come today to give deposit and child info forms, rang to say she would not be able to get here and hoped all would still be ok. I said yes and thanked for ringing, we are now sorting first week of new year. It was the snow that stopped her so not her fault, I had forgotten she was meant to come with the snow excitement. She didn't want to lose the place.

Lily Grace
18-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Well done!! I changed a few things with re fees with one mum as I wasn't prepared to do "pay as you go" childminding for her. She wasn't happy and made me feel guilty as in "I struggle to pay you". Well I struggle to pay bills but they have to be paid.

beccas
18-12-2009, 08:37 PM
i am also doing this for the new year but i am saying i will charge you half if you let me know no matter what is wrong as they are taking a place but will charge full if no notice is given.

I also have said pay me on pay day or £5 a day charge untill payment recieved.

I also charge £10 per day for after schoolers no matter what time i pick them up or theypick them from me up to 6pm after that its a extra £5. per hour.

I work 7.30 to 6pm that is long enough i think i have my own children aged 11 9 and 5 and that is my time with them.

Recently i have got tough and started saying no to last minutechanges i have had enough of being the doormat.

Zoomie
18-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Well done on putting your foot down !!!!!

Just wanted to ask (it was a long post), but does the parent have contracted hours - really that is what you should be charging, plus extra when politely asked ... ???

polly0
18-12-2009, 09:28 PM
This week I had found out that my school was finishing at 1.30pm today:angry: One of my parents asked if it was o.k to have her child and i said that was fine but I would be charging extra. My other parent never mentioned a word all week and then this morning dropped his kids off whilst I was talking to another parent at the door and disappeared. I managed to get in touch by 12.30 where I asked him if he knew the children were finishing at 1.30 he said 'yes is that a problem'. So i told him its not a problem but i would be charging extra he asked how much then told me he would pick them up himself and take them to work with him:clapping:

Some days I feel just like a doormat but was so glad i stuck to my guns and told him he would have to pay extra if he wanted me to pick them up at that time:laughing:

Pipsqueak
18-12-2009, 09:34 PM
:clapping: :clapping: well done on being strong:thumbsup:

but do you not charge when the aren't attending contracted/booked hours?

polly0
18-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Its in their contract, I have them before and after school 3.30 - 6.00pm and in school holidays. But this is'nt a school holiday and his money was worked out for the year so he pays a set fee each week.

loobyloo168
18-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Well done on putting your foot down !!!!!

Just wanted to ask (it was a long post), but does the parent have contracted hours - really that is what you should be charging, plus extra when politely asked ... ???

The contract orginally says 3pm till 7pm term time and holidays 1215 till 7pm, then she gave me a weeks notice and changed her hours to 3 til 630.

I dont know why i ever started charging with the part hours to be honest ? New to minding i expect and as she is my only proper one (i have others ocasonally) i probably thought id do anything to keep her. I did get the feeling that she thought i needed her £31.50 a week more than she needed me ! Well thats not the case anymore !

loobyloo168
18-12-2009, 10:15 PM
This week I had found out that my school was finishing at 1.30pm today:angry: One of my parents asked if it was o.k to have her child and i said that was fine but I would be charging extra. My other parent never mentioned a word all week and then this morning dropped his kids off whilst I was talking to another parent at the door and disappeared. I managed to get in touch by 12.30 where I asked him if he knew the children were finishing at 1.30 he said 'yes is that a problem'. So i told him its not a problem but i would be charging extra he asked how much then told me he would pick them up himself and take them to work with him:clapping:

Some days I feel just like a doormat but was so glad i stuck to my guns and told him he would have to pay extra if he wanted me to pick them up at that time:laughing:

We will be doormats no more !!! :clapping:

loobyloo168
18-12-2009, 10:19 PM
:clapping: :clapping: well done on being strong:thumbsup:

but do you not charge when the aren't attending contracted/booked hours?

Yeah i missed that bit in my haste to tell you all !! I charge half fees in holidays and when shes ill. And nothing when im ill or on holiday. Stupidly she was the first contract i did and i missed the bit about 24 hours notice if shes sick or not attending or full rate will be charged. Iv had her for a year now and its only today iv made the change to say she needs to let me know the night before or i will charge her full price instead of half.

loobyloo168
18-12-2009, 10:26 PM
i am also doing this for the new year but i am saying i will charge you half if you let me know no matter what is wrong as they are taking a place but will charge full if no notice is given.

I also have said pay me on pay day or £5 a day charge untill payment recieved.

I also charge £10 per day for after schoolers no matter what time i pick them up or theypick them from me up to 6pm after that its a extra £5. per hour.

I work 7.30 to 6pm that is long enough i think i have my own children aged 11 9 and 5 and that is my time with them.

Recently i have got tough and started saying no to last minutechanges i have had enough of being the doormat.

I was thinking about charging per session, which is £15 a session round here which for her would be 3 til 6.30, i wonder what shed have to say about that !!

Desi-101
18-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Good on you. I don't have the guts to do it to my parent as I am too scared she will walk and I just don't seem to be getting any other mindees at all. She's my first so have also made loads of mistakes in my contract! which I know mum is aware of as my mindee has been with childminders since she was 3 mths old, shes now 6 and a half!

loobyloo168
19-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Good on you. I don't have the guts to do it to my parent as I am too scared she will walk and I just don't seem to be getting any other mindees at all. She's my first so have also made loads of mistakes in my contract! which I know mum is aware of as my mindee has been with childminders since she was 3 mths old, shes now 6 and a half!

Bite the dust and do it. Im glad i did, i now have control of MY business, and she realises that i dont need her. Shes my only mindee aswell apart from very ocassional work. Dont leave it a year like i did, as long as you give them reasonable notice your not doing anthing wrong. I added to mine that i was bringing myself inline with other childminders locally and nationally, so she know she wouldnt be any better off else where.

Desi-101
19-12-2009, 10:35 AM
You are right I should "bite the dust" also lay down the law as I have to pay the insurance for my car to carry her child back and forth to school (8 miles which I don't charge mileage) and she refuses to pay for holidays and I double checked my contract and I DID put it in that she still pays holidays! so maybe a nice letter pointing out that it is contracted!:D

mamasheshe
19-12-2009, 07:59 PM
welldone you this is the bit I'm DREADING about childminding