PDA

View Full Version : Can we recommend other childminders?

Lainey Lou
18-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi all, just want abit of advice really. I'm pregnant (due in June), I've decided that I'm going to take maternity leave for a few months as I am really not that busy and not earning a great deal having recently lost a mindee and now not in a position to take on other children.

Anyway, I have a ittle boy (7Yrs) that I do before and after school for, feel really bad as he only started with me in Sept and his mum really struggled to find someone and she and her son are lovely. Anyway I'm going to have to tell her in the new year that I am pregnant, I really want to help her out and I am hoping she will stay with me for a few more months and maybe come back to me when I am up and running again.

Now my question is, I do know a fairly newly registered cm who does the school run at the same school who could possibly help out, but I don't know her that well and was wondering what is the score with passing details on of other cminders? I was going to email her to see if she could help me out but now I am thinking that maybe we are not really supposed to do this? I just want to help out the mum really as she is so nice and don't want her to struggle to find alternative care. Any advice would be appreciated. :) XX

beccas
18-12-2009, 07:01 PM
i always recommend other cm in my area that i know and trust. lots of cm cover for me and i cover for them its good to help each other out.

TheBTeam
18-12-2009, 07:01 PM
There is no problem with saying to the mum that you do know of another childminder that may be able to help her out, My friends and I regularly recommend each other as childminders, I would only recommend a childminder that i knew well and that i have working experience of, otherwise I would just mention their name but not actually recommend.

It may be better as you do not know the other childminder really well to suggest to the mum that you pass the mums number over to the other minder, rather than giving out the minders number.

zillervalley
18-12-2009, 07:03 PM
hi

I had to ask another childminder to cover for me while dh was having chemo

pity you dont know the other childminder

when you tell your mindees mum you could say you know of some one who picks up but you dont know them personally

if mum is ok with it all you could approach the childminder and se if she has vacancies and wants to take on

then you could exchange numbers

hope this helps

ziller

haribo
18-12-2009, 07:04 PM
i give details of other childminders to people if i cant help them, they give mine out too i cant see anything wrong with this at all .

jelly15
18-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't know if there are any official rules but I can't see the harm in passing on another minders number, the decision is then the parents as to if they want to use them. I am full with preschoolers and if I get an enquiery I pass on numbers and other minders pass on mine if I have spaces.

georgie456
18-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I absolutely recommend othe cm's. I work closely with 5 other cm's and we cover for each other - which one did for me when I was on materniy leave.
If I get a call for a child and don't have a space I always pass their numbers on too.
I think it's a good practice to get into as hopefully they will do the same for you one day :)

peanuts
18-12-2009, 08:29 PM
my cco once said to me not to recomend anyone, just say you know they are available. if it goes pear shaped and you have recomended them it could come back to bite you on the bum.

madasahatter
18-12-2009, 10:27 PM
I will happily recommend some of the childminders in my area as I know them and would, if necessary, be happy to send my mindees to them, however there are others that I wouldn't recommend.....but being very cautious of how I worded anything I said.

little_gems
22-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't reccomend a CM that i didn't no. I wouldn't even pass on details if i didnt no them just in case they weren;t very nice!!!:rolleyes:

ORKSIE
22-12-2009, 10:22 PM
I only recommend CM's that i would leave my own children with:)