PDA

View Full Version : Free entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds.

Tink
17-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know how I can claim for this entitlement? and does anyone else claim it?
A parent has phoned and asked me if I have it?
I found this:
Three and four year olds in England are entitled to a minimum 12.5 hours of free learning per week for 38 weeks of the year. This can take place in nurseries, playgroups, preschools or at their childminders.

Winnie
17-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Around here you have to be on an Accredited Network, have a Level 3 and jump through the hoops ;)

Tink
17-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm a qualified nursery nurse with an NVQ level 3 in Early Years Care and Education:D and worked in a nursery for over 9 years

Pipsqueak
17-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Doesn't matter hun - you have to be on an accreditated network ie Children Come First or the LA equivelent to deliver the 3/4 year free places. Sorry. Contact your DO and see if there is a network that you can join. There is strict criteria though

Tink
17-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Ok thank you

sdean
17-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I have just joined the Leeds Network and become accredited. It was really straight forward. Contact your early years department and speak to your development officer.

I had to complete some forms regarding practices and early learning goals and agree to the network policies and also have a visit every 6 to 8 weeks. Straight forward enough. In Leeds it has opened up more training and pilot programmes too. Well worth it even if you haven't yet got any NEG children.

beccas
18-12-2009, 10:49 AM
rotherham council says there isnt enough call for it so childminders arent able to offer this at all even though all nurserys children centres can and even politing 2 year olds!!!!

make me mad that they wont even allow childminders to be accredited (not enough funding).....

sdean
18-12-2009, 11:00 AM
That is such a shame - I think that we are a better option for many children, it is particularly good for children who will do nearly two years. Can offer greater flexibility. We are so lucky in Leeds, we have been asked to offer the nursery education for the 2 year olds as well if we have places.

markimark
18-12-2009, 12:29 PM
rotherham council says there isnt enough call for it so childminders arent able to offer this at all even though all nurserys children centres can and even politing 2 year olds!!!!

make me mad that they wont even allow childminders to be accredited (not enough funding).....

I have been told Rotherham are looking to get an accredited network up and running next year so that childminders can deliver it

beccas
18-12-2009, 07:17 PM
markimark where are you what area.....

i had heard this but you know rotherham council saying and doing 2 completly different things,,,, and then it prob be certain areas only..

markimark
21-12-2009, 04:31 PM
I heard about this at a Childrens centre meeting i attended at Brampton in November

newandlearning
21-12-2009, 05:52 PM
hi.. I'm just starting offering Early Years Free Entitlement from jan.. I had to become accredited by joining my network and filling out forms, show about 2 months of extra paperwork including activities and how these are possitively linked to aspects .. and 3 months on I'm now accredited.. and am going to get less money per hour for it!!

Why am I doing it? am trying to see the bigger pic. which is if I dont offer this to my mindee I will lose a full time mindee who has become part of my family in many ways..

the irony of it all is I can't pick sibling up from school anymore due to own child pick up commitments and could find I lose him along with it...

all that work! on a positive note it means you can offer parents a continuity of care xx

some LA don't have accredited networks.. if you have childminding coordinator try asking them... hope that helps...xx

youarewhatyoueat
21-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Think carefully before you offer it, I won't do it as financially you can not claim more than the allowance given and I charge £4 per hour and its less than that.