PDA

View Full Version : Xmas presents from parents

cuffleygirl
16-12-2009, 05:50 PM
I have a parent who is continually early in mornings, late in evenings, and just generally abuses my flexibility. Had a tube of blue smarties last year, (I guess the thought counts but she could have taken the BOGOFF sticker off tho!:laughing: )

This year she has just given me an already opened/half eaten tin of sweets!

Is this an improvement?

As per the reminder of forum rules - I have other really good parents and all the children are brill!

The Juggler
16-12-2009, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=cuffleygirl;595031]I have a parent who is continually early in mornings, late in evenings, and just generally abuses my flexibility. Had a tube of blue smarties last year, (I guess the thought counts but she could have taken the BOGOFF sticker off tho!:laughing: )

This year she has just given me an already opened/half eaten tin of sweets!

/QUOTE]

nice! think I would rather have nothing![

cabby
16-12-2009, 06:00 PM
lol, soryy but thats funny:laughing: :laughing:
i have one parent who always gives me a £30 next voucher (had cash this year:jump for joy: )

and another who i think gives me what evers left over from the office party:laughing:

Lady Haha
16-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Just had my first pressie off a parent this year! A lovely pair of ear rings! They really are beautiful. But I'm allergic to anything other than gold or silver and they aren't gold or silver!!!

But I have to admit, that even ear rings I can't wear tops a half eaten tin of sweets !!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I just don't understand how she could do that!!!

beccas
16-12-2009, 06:25 PM
count yourself lucky i get nothing................

ungrateful parents

LOOPYLISA
16-12-2009, 06:27 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry

Minstrel
16-12-2009, 06:38 PM
I've not had so much as a christmas card :(

LittleMissSparkles
16-12-2009, 07:21 PM
well last year I had a hand made gift given to me and this year the same parent has given me the tiniest Thorntons bar of milk chocolate in the world was probably about £1 if that, I have been very generous to this family over the last 4 months and cant believe they show their appreciation like that ! i may sound really ungrateful but would rather they hadnt bothered than insult me with a bar of chocolate

one parent left tonight saying oh will probably not see you now till new year..... and walked out no merry christmas or kiss my ****

one parent I know will buy me a tin of chocs , unopened ( thats really awful cuffeygirl )and a bottle of wine maybe same very year

as for the other i have grown not to expect anything so i wont be disappointed...

I am ungrateful i know but just once a year it would be nice for parents to say we appreciate you is it too much to ask !!!!

solly
16-12-2009, 08:34 PM
I have had 3 presents so far and i haven't opened them yet they are under the tree:) I think one is smellies and one is chocolates, not sure what the other is
I also got a £10 bonus from one of my mums which i think was really thoughtful as she works all hours to make ends meet.

I think i would also prefer to recieve nothing rather than 1/2 a box of chocolates.

TheBTeam
16-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Dont get something off of most of them, I had £50 in cash last year and the year before from one family which is lovely as this is more than there weekly fee.

Today one mum whose little girl i have only had before and after school for a few weeks and she is off sick this week dropped in with a bottle of cava and a large box of Thorntons chocolates, what a lovely thought.

ajs
16-12-2009, 08:38 PM
nothing yet but i know i will get somethingas both have said to me about going out to buy my presents

we had a neighbour who used to buy herslef stuff and if she didn't like it give it to me the funniest was a bar of chocoalte that had a bite mark and teeth marks still in it yum yum

it did go straight in the bin

Alibali
16-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I'll get lovely gifts for me and my children (and probably my own parents too) from all my families. I am very lucky:)

Chimps Childminding
16-12-2009, 09:44 PM
In her defence maybe she didn't realise they were half eaten???:eek:

My SIL caught my niece carefully putting the tape back round a tin of Celebrations SIL had bought for a present!!!!!!! When she investigated further she found all my nieces favourites were missing :laughing: :laughing:

FizzysFriends
16-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I haven't had anything, not even a card and doubt I will get anything :(

The Juggler
16-12-2009, 10:00 PM

:eek: :eek: that's poor..

charleyfarley
16-12-2009, 10:42 PM
If I get something then it'll be next week when I finish for xmas.

We all work really hard and it's nice to be appreciated especially at christmas, even a card wouldn't go amiss sometimes.

Last week was Mitchells nativity and I saw how much his teacher has done for him, he's a livewire to say the least :D Anyway as a thank you to her I bought her some flowers, she was over the moon with them. I just wanted to say thanks.

Carol xx

Heaven Scent
16-12-2009, 10:58 PM
In her defence maybe she didn't realise they were half eaten???:eek:

My SIL caught my niece carefully putting the tape back round a tin of Celebrations SIL had bought for a present!!!!!!! When she investigated further she found all my nieces favourites were missing :laughing: :laughing:

At least she had the decency to put the tape back on, a few years ago when I was teaching and had an aupair here in the house I'd hiddden lots of pressies all over the house like tins of sweet and biscuits and when I took on out to wrap it I thought it wasw very light when I picked it up then discovered that the tape had been removed I went mad and the kids denied all knowledge and the aupair said nothing as they had done it when she was supposed to be caring for them she was probably watching re runs of friends on sky (as she always was no matter what time I came in - feet up on my sofa in the living room) letting the kids run riot, or she was in on the act herself - it was a tin of Celebrations and only the bounty snickers and another nutty one were left - not at all obvious.

Actually, two of my girlies finished for Christmas today and Dad came to collect early - and not a dickie bird - but having said that mum brought me a box of Thorntons chocs during the last summer hols and I'd only had the older girl one day pw since last Feb., so mum may be round yet - I sent the 2 home with pressies for under the tree, 2 nice little necklaces from AVON one a dolphin and the other Ella the fairy - I tend to keep mindee presents to about £5-£7.00 plus I buy LO's santa pressies for all the christmas parties we have/go to.

As most of my parents are new to me this year I don't know what to expect really. I bet my F/Timers parents won't buy a thing they are the young ones(20/21) who married this summer and have split up already despite being together for for at least 3 years and living together for most of that time. - I'm not sure they have actually split up - it all doesn't add up - I think its a bit of a tax fiddle when they realised they were better off living as though they weren't co-habbiting I think. I think it was a way of getting a house from a housing assocation - mums mum happens to work for one and hey presto mum and daughter are moving on Jan 2nd I bet I'll be hearing of a big reconcilliation before long - Dad's sister tends to let the cat out of the bag. They are not bad kids but thats all they are.

Oh I have to say the mad mum - (cheekie one) told me she had bought me a pressie. And C's mum will buy me something too. My TTO before and after schooler Parents are teacher so I may get something from them but I bet it will be really small they are loaded and live in a really huge house on the edge of the town. Mum is a deputy head & Dad is also a childrens entertainer and Party DJ at weekends. Plus Social Services pay their fees as LO is a cared for child (used to be fostered). Nice enough family I knew them from Church and we have some mutual acquantences. Other 3 children only started last week one before and after school 1 day and some holiday cover plus 2 brothers one aged 1.5 and the other aged 6 (3fulldays & 3 after schools) mum has just gone back to work after having nearly 2 years off so won't be expecting anything there either. I have bought presents for all the kiddies even the new ones - its all part of the the celebration to give pressies to LO's and make them feel special. If they are still here next year and only give me a bar of chocolate with teeth marks in then I will be a bit disappointed - if I still get nothing I will be happy with a nice card.

venus89
17-12-2009, 09:09 AM

nor me. And I have to admit I felt a bit disappointed. One of the two who's finished didn'y even say happy christmas. A card made by the child would be a lovely touch

angeldelight
17-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry but I just could not stop laughing at some of these stories

Half eaten box of chocs - I would have given them her back and said " I think you gave me your box by mistake " Imagine her face
I would have to say something I just could not leave it - how rude of her

:laughing:

What a cheek

Angel xxx

estrelas
17-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Sorry but I just could not stop laughing at some of these stories

Half eaten box of chocs - I would have given them her back and said " I think you gave me your box by mistake " Imagine her face
I would have to say something I just could not leave it - how rude of her

What a cheek

Angel xxx

Your cracking me up today Angel!!

I never really thought about the parents giving me presents. My first christmas minding so we'll see what happens. although i'm not expecting anthing thinking about it my full timers mum pays me too much each week so she's bound to do something.

I'll be happy with just a card :) but cash would be great too :laughing:

angeldelight
17-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Your cracking me up today Angel!!

I never really thought about the parents giving me presents. My first christmas minding so we'll see what happens. although i'm not expecting anthing thinking about it my full timers mum pays me too much each week so she's bound to do something.

I'll be happy with just a card :) but cash would be great too :laughing:

Well if your parent gives you a presie I think you should send it to me - like you say she already pays you too much

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xxx

Lady Haha
17-12-2009, 10:24 AM
wow, I'm shocked at how some of your parents are!!! Not even a card??? With my ear rings I got yesterday (that I can't wear!) I had a card saying thanks for all the hard work and support I've given her daughter this year! It's lovely to be appreciated! She also got my son a pressie!

Last year one mum bought me a black and sparkly watch which I love and wear every day! Also with a card saying thanks for everything. Another one got my black wine glasses (black is my fave colour). I got smellies and chocs off the other two. So 100% parents got me pressies! This year I have three more mindees, one of which is the daughter mentioned above, so I may be really lucky this year!! Plus, last years ones all got my son pressies too!

There was a notice on netmums recently from a mum asking what to get her childminder for Christmas. I posted a reply saying I'm a cm and that by far the best present would be a simple card saying how much she appreciates her cm and everything she does!:D Hope she took my advice!

patevans
17-12-2009, 10:46 AM
count yourself lucky i get nothing................

ungrateful parents

I get nothing either :angry:

MissTinkerbell
17-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I haven't had anything, not even a card and doubt I will get anything :(

Same here and I know that it sounds ungrateful but I have spent about £10 on each of my 3 mindees and have bought them lovely thoughtful presents.

Last year my parents gave me presents from themselves and the children and also presents for my own three children and DH too. This happened at Xmas and birthdays.

Its last day before Xmas for 2 of my children and both mums pick up straight from work and they didn't bring as much as a Xmas card despite fact that I sent mine out 2 weeks ago - even my children sent them all cards!

I think I might get something from the parents of my full-timer as he doesn't finish until Monday. She gave me a 2gig memory stick this morning and often brings little treats and crafty things for my children that she picks up on her travels so I might get something there.

I always my children's teachers and TAs presents and really nice ones at that to show how much we appreciate what they do for our children. At Xmas its a good time to show your appreciation.

The Juggler
17-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Same here and I know that it sounds ungrateful but I have spent about £10 on each of my 3 mindees and have bought them lovely thoughtful presents.

Last year my parents gave me presents from themselves and the children and also presents for my own three children and DH too. This happened at Xmas and birthdays.

I think it hurts more when they give you one year and then not the next, you wonder what you did wrong.:(

Jules12Wed
17-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I get gifts from all 7 parents some are just a box of chocs but its the thought that counts. Had hand made card from one little girl today and her Mum put another gift in with the Christmas gifts that said a little something for your holiday so I am going to take that away and open in on holiday!! Hope it'll be worth it!

FizzysFriends
17-12-2009, 02:46 PM
There is something I dislike more than them not bothering to send a card or even say have a good Christmas.

Its the parents and children not saying thank you for the gifts I buy them, it really annoys me. My DD sends thank you cards, Im not expecting that but a verbal thank you would be nice. Guess they take it for granted they will get something :angry:

emmadines
17-12-2009, 02:53 PM
ive just been given some hyacinthus, with " thanks for everything" im like awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

LittleAcorns
17-12-2009, 04:50 PM
I do find it quite hard that some people dont even think....I know we dont expect anything as such but I do find it hard!! I personally remember their birthdays (get their child to make something) valentines day, fathers/mothers day, easter...the list goes on...we make Get Well cards when parents are poorly....blah de blah

I usually get chocs (yum) wine (mmmmm)

I just got a lovely card from the family who emigrated to Auzzie with a picture of their adorable little boy

MissTinkerbell
17-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I think it hurts more when they give you one year and then not the next, you wonder what you did wrong.:(

Its a different set of parents - I still had a Xmas card from both sets of my 'old' parents and my DS and DD have been invited to my ex-mindees' birthday party on Sunday!

Well nothing from one set of parents not even a 'have a nice Xmas' !!!!!!!!

The other one is back just for 2mo morning so who knows - I sent mindees' pressie with her so she might feel a bit guilty now:rolleyes:

FussyElmo
17-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I have lovely parents. After all thats happened mum has brought me flowers each week and have had a text to say she will be dropping mine and the childrens pressies off tomorrow :)

Ripeberry
17-12-2009, 06:04 PM
My three year old mindee who comes to me for 5hrs a week, finished today 5.30pm for the Xmas holidays and Mum and Dad came to collect and gave me a packet of chocolate coins for the Xmas tree.
I then gave them their present (only a laminated handprint poem) and a £5 gift for the mindee.
Hope I did not make them feel bad about their little 78p gift, they left the price on it :D
Anyway, just glad they thought of a gift :)

emmadines
17-12-2009, 06:11 PM
i dont really expect to get anything but the gesture is nice!

venus89
17-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Further to the arent I mentioned who didn't even say thank you or happy christmas, another parent gave both my kids a bag with two presents and some christmas marshmallows in this evening and me a bag of presents too.... And the icing on the cake is that in the card she wrote how lucky the child is to have me as a minder and what a wonderful job I do with her child and my own and she hopes I have a good rest over the holidays - Now that's what it's all about :D

sophiestars
17-12-2009, 07:14 PM
It's my first Christmas minding and all of mine have given me presents and cards. One of them has even bought presents for my own 2 boys which is lovely. I haven't opened all mine yet but I think one of them is a necklace, I have a gorgeous gingerbread house that one family made for me and my family, a lovely photo frame and I know I have some handmade choccy truffles coming tomorrow because i was chatting to Mum last week (I only have this lo on Fridays) about recipes I could use for my son's present to his teachers and she gave me some tips!

I just can't believe that some of you get nothing, like someone said, even just a card giving their appreciation would be enough for me, and everyone sends cards so they have no excuse. Give notice I say!!! lol!!

Pudding Girl
17-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Well out of 5 families I have so far had cards from 4 and gifts from 3 :)

Chocs, bottle of cava, smellies, handcream set - was :eek: at the price (http://www.crabtree-evelyn.co.uk/eng/products/collections/pomegranate/hand_care_caddy?79277) and then three gifts for me that I'm not allowed to open till xmas from one family (plus a pressie for my DH too!) :)

I totally appreciate gifts but would be happy enough with a card saying something nice in it.

The Juggler
17-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Well out of 5 families I have so far had cards from 4 and gifts from 3 :)

Chocs, bottle of cava, smellies, handcream set - was :eek: at the price (http://www.crabtree-evelyn.co.uk/eng/products/collections/pomegranate/hand_care_caddy?79277) and then three gifts for me that I'm not allowed to open till xmas :)

I totally appreciate gifts but would be happy enough with a card saying something nice in it.

how nice! lucky you!

Pudding Girl
18-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Tell you what, it smells lush and it's really made a difference to my hands after just 2 days use, really recommend it :thumbsup:

terrydoo73
18-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I definately would not care if I didn't get a present but a lovely thank you card means the world to me. I got a beautiful Christmas Card on it "For a Very Special Childminder". I keep all of these in a box as it reminds me in years to come of all the children I have kept over the years and how much I am/was appreciated. I have got presents from both my parents this year and they have bought me and my daughter presents in return - my daughter got money from one - £20 which was far too much and if she hadn't opened it I would have returned it as far too much!