PDA

View Full Version : Where do I stand with a half retainer

twiggy
15-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I mind a child whose parent is a teacher and I therefore only mind the child in term time. I charge a half retainer for school holidays. I have it clearly stated in the contract that if the parent requires to use my service in the school holidays I will need 4 weeks notice. The parent announced yesterday that they will need me on Monday (in the school holidays) when I should of had a day off. Can I now refuse and still charge the retainer as they have not given the 4 weeks notice?

LittleAcorns
15-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Twiggy

one of those tricky things, technically because the parent pays a retainer they pay it so that the place is there should they need it, however you have requested 4 weeks notice, I personally require 2 weeks for any changes and if they dont meet that I use my descretion if I take the child or not.

If it were me I would look after the child as a goodwill gesture but say that from now on you must have more notice ..... or is it me being a softy?!! with this situation I think it boils down to what makes you comfortable, perhaps its a oversight on their part that they dont need to arrange too far beforehand as thay pay the retainer ... hope this helps a bit x

beccas
15-12-2009, 01:56 PM
If it were me I would look after the child as a goodwill gesture but say that from now on you must have more notice ..... or is it me being a softy?!! with this situation I think it boils down to what makes you comfortable, perhaps its a oversight on their part that they dont need to arrange too far beforehand as thay pay the retainer ... hope this helps a bit x[/QUOTE]
i would do this also

Twinkles
15-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I make it clear that the retainer paid is not for the school holidays but to retain the place for the next term.

However, I would have the child if given enough notice and it was not inconvenient.

Zoomie
15-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Don't you think that 4 weeks notice is excessive ? and do you give the same notice if it is not 'convenient'.

Sorry I really sound like a parent right now :blush:

twiggy
16-12-2009, 07:11 AM
I don't think 4 weeks notice is excessive but I do think 1 weeks notice is not enough. These parents are not reliable they regularly arrive late for their child without even a phone call. I have requested the 4 week notice for using me in the school holidays because they are so unreliable and to avoid this happening. They are only contracted for term time and the retainer is to keep the child's place open as I could not afford to keep a space throughout the school holidays without charging the half retainer. I'm not an unreasonable person I have 4 children of my own and had took the opportunity of having Monday off for them to have friends round (something we don't get to do very often because of my childminding numbers).

twiggy
16-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Don't you think that 4 weeks notice is excessive ? and do you give the same notice if it is not 'convenient'.

Sorry I really sound like a parent right now :blush:

I have given parents a whole years notice of my holidays. I don't cancel children unless I really have to and then I am able to offer alternative care with a friend who is also a childminder. I think I am entitled to say no to having a child if it is not 'convenient' if the child is not contracted for that day. There are many occassions when I have had children outside of their contracted hours to help a parent.

Hebs
16-12-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm not an unreasonable person I have 4 children of my own and had took the opportunity of having Monday off for them to have friends round (something we don't get to do very often because of my childminding numbers).

so tell them "sorry but i can't as i have made plans, this is why i ask for 4 week notice"

if you dont want to do it then dont, and dont feel guilty about it.

i wouldn't let my kids suffer because a parent needs childcare last min, if i cant do it i say so :thumbsup:

if mum complains about paying the retainer, just explain it to her like you have to us and show her your contract that states 4 weeks notice of holiday care

angeldelight
16-12-2009, 07:37 AM
I have a parent that pays me for a full week but I do not have the children on a Monday - I do expect notice if she does want me to have them which she often does but she usually tells me the week before

I just do not make arrangments to do anything else before I know

Maybe you could have a chat with her and make it 1 week or 2 weeks to give you notice instead - sometimes maybe it is difficult for the parent to know what she is doing a whole month ahead ?

You know what these parents are like though and if you are happy with what you are doing and it is in your contract then stick to that and put your family first in this case

Angel xxx

huggableshelly
16-12-2009, 07:43 AM
a good reason as to why I do not charge a retainer but thats not the point ....

I request 4 wks notice for any holiday time parents need but occassional days are as and when needed if I have the space to offer.

You do not have the space to offer as too short notice and you already have plans but willing to help on another day (if you want too)

I have 2 wks off starting on monday but agreed to have one mindee who is so easy hr practically lives here anyway for 2 extra days.

Also charge her the extra hours needed so if she has paid the half day only charge for the rest of the day needed. but then again its up to you.

miffy
16-12-2009, 08:09 AM
As you'd already made plans then I would tell parent no but take the opportunity to discuss the notice you need to provide care in the holidays again - I'm not saying ask for less notice just point it out to them again so everyone's clear

Miffy xx

twiggy
17-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Thank you to everyone for their advice, I have agreed to have the child on Tuesday when I'm minding another child anyway.