PDA

View Full Version : TEACHING COLOURS - IDEAS

butterfly
15-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I have lots of toddlers at the moment who are all starting to learn their colours. I was wondering if anyone has any innovative ideas for teaching children colours which would span all 6 areas of learning?

So far i've made a discovery bottle for each colour with lots of things in it of that colour. i thought that might cover CLL as we can talk about what we can see in the discovery bottle.

I need activities for chn aged 6mths-3yrs.

Any help gratefully received!!

Madminder
15-12-2009, 12:15 PM
If you do a fair amount of walking then get the older ones to help you make up some checklists, use old catalogues and magazines. Cut out pictures of things you see while you are out like cars, lorries, front doors, garage doors, anything that comes in colours. Stick them onto A4 sheets of card and laminate them, you can either do a mix of colours on each one or keep to one colour (easier for younger children). When you go out they can each have one together with a wax crayon and they can tick each one when they have seen it and shown it to you. This will/can cover CLL (talk about what they are doing and what they see), KUW (knowing what they will/could see), PD (cutting, sticking and mark-making), PSRN (discussing why you are laminating and counting the ticks), CD (making the checklists) and PSED (talking about keeping safe while you are walking and looking). Even the smaller ones can tear things and stick, even if they don't end up as check lists they can go on the wall. the older ones can make lots and the little ones can scribble with a crayon on them to feel they are joining in and as they get older will naturally start to do it properly.

If you are going on a trip out then you can extend it by talking about where you are going and what you might see and making up some new cards specially for the trip. Over 5s enjoy this too and will turn it into a competition. Great if you have a long train journey to do as they are busy looking out the window for things they can tick off.

Hope this helps.

Polly2
15-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I did this topic recently we:

played with red playdough
red ice cubes
red jelly
ate red food - tomatoes, cherries, strawberries etc
iced cakes with red icing
found all the red cars/blocks in the box and counted them
played with red balloons
painted red fire engines and looked out for them on the road
watched fireman sam!
we also learned red in welsh! (coch)
looked for red everywhere

You can extend then for other colours - you may have trouble finding blue food though ha!

I just did the primary colours as I have littlies

hope this helps :thumbsup:

carebear25
15-12-2009, 01:03 PM
wat good ideas my 2 yr olds have picked up colours from toys and my own ds can do red, green, blue, yellow an pink x

caz3007
15-12-2009, 01:16 PM
An idea one mum at the school had, which I thought was good.

Was to use the balls that you would use for a ball pond and tip them out on the floor, then get the children to dash around collecting colours for you. You can add to it once they get used to the colours to start asking for a different amount of yellow, red etc balls.

She said its great as she can sit and have a cuppa and it tires them out too. Got to get some balls, then will have a go at playing it with mine

mrsgreen
15-12-2009, 04:13 PM
An idea one mum at the school had, which I thought was good.

Was to use the balls that you would use for a ball pond and tip them out on the floor, then get the children to dash around collecting colours for you. You can add to it once they get used to the colours to start asking for a different amount of yellow, red etc balls.

She said its great as she can sit and have a cuppa and it tires them out too. Got to get some balls, then will have a go at playing it with mine

this is what i do, i let them roll and catch the balls too, they cant hurt themselfs with them. great idea!

mama2three
15-12-2009, 04:25 PM
we play traffic lights , just get all the ride ons , and made some traffic lights from cardboard. so you get kuw and psed and physical all together with learning red , yellow and green.