PDA

View Full Version : Menus

Ripeberry
14-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I only have one 15 month old mindee most of the week and I've based my 'repetoire' of meals on what he likes and will eat! I write in the daily diary what he had for breakfast, lunch, tea and snacks, but it's never planned ahead as I just prepare what I have available and in the time I have.
Do I HAVE to display the menu on the board or is the daily diary enough?

The Juggler
14-12-2009, 10:45 PM
i have never prepared, written down or offered parents a menu. I just promise to offer, healthy, home cooked, balanced meals with lots of fruit and veg, low in fat and salt and sugar.

Zoomie
14-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Ofsted liked my menu at my inspection last week.

Mine also has choices, which Ofsted also liked :thumbsup: .

You have OFsted coming soon, so perhaps you can trial one for a couple weeks :rolleyes:

loocyloo
14-12-2009, 11:37 PM
i plan a menu for each week, mainly to ensure that the children have a balance of meat/fish/veggie, then pasta/rice/potato etc!

i plan lunch, tea and afterschool snacks. daytime snacks are always a 'surprise' depending what i have!

i find it easier to shop this way, plus then i don't have to think 'what am i going to cook for tea/lunch?' as its already decided! however, it isn't set in stone, so if we decide to have something else, we do! (also, i have some children who come different days, so it helps to make sure, for example, that a particular child doesn't have pasta for every meal they are at my house!)

i keep it on the wall in my kitchen, along with my weekly activity plan, and although i have shown everyone where it is, i think it is only me that looks at it :rolleyes:

AliceK
15-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi
I have an example menu on my noticeboard which lists the meals offered for breakfast, lunch, tea and also what kinds of snacks are available but I don't have one that shows what we are having on each set day. I plan meals when I do my shopping so I know what all the meals will be for the week but it depends on what we are doing and how much time we have as to what we have on the day. Oh and the childs daily sheet will tell the parents exactly what they have eaten that day anyway.

xxxxx

nokidshere
15-12-2009, 12:09 PM
i have never prepared, written down or offered parents a menu. I just promise to offer, healthy, home cooked, balanced meals with lots of fruit and veg, low in fat and salt and sugar.

Thats what I do. I do have some "sample" menu's in my folder though in case anyone wants to know exactly what type of food we eat. But its just a list of the things I cook regularly.

Oh, and I don't have a noticeboard ;)

PixiePetal
15-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi
I have an example menu on my noticeboard which lists the meals offered for breakfast, lunch, tea and also what kinds of snacks are available but I don't have one that shows what we are having on each set day. I plan meals when I do my shopping so I know what all the meals will be for the week but it depends on what we are doing and how much time we have as to what we have on the day. Oh and the childs daily sheet will tell the parents exactly what they have eaten that day anyway.

xxxxx

I don't have a noticeboard with it on, but I have similar - In with policy on healthy eating, examples of meals I may provide. At the moment I only have one mindee so can do it to his tastes and in the time we have for me to cook etc. New mindees starting after christmas so will review, especially as one has food allergies. Will need to avoid certain things on his days.

Blackhorse
15-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I have done a sample menu with rough ideas of what might or might not be on offer.....

but I dont do a weekly one...was thinking about it but not sure if I will do it...
parents dont seem to be bothered about it either to be honest..I tell them what the kids had...

I also listen to what kids like and we can plan accordingly while making sure it stays healthy...

Ripeberry
15-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I do have a 'sample' menu but it's very varied and its just an example of things that I cook, and snacks that are offered.
Parents have never complained :)

mama2three
15-12-2009, 04:45 PM
i have a 'whats for lunch today?' board in the hall next to the planner. but its often only decided just before they come. theres no way im organised enough to do a weekly menu in advance!