PDA

View Full Version : Calpol permission - which form?

guest3
14-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Pls help....my 11 month old mindee came today with a streaming cold and cough. She's had this for a while but it has got gradually worse over the weekend.
She developed a temperature today so I rang her Mum who was off work herself but she didn't want her at home! I've been looking at my paperwork (I'm with Morton Michel) and I'm not sure whether to fill in the long term or short term medication record so that I can give her Calpol (provided by Mum) if she has a high temperature.
Hope someone can help me. I do have a permission as part of the contract but am just not sure which medication record to use.

Wendy x

sarah707
14-12-2009, 09:06 PM
I would use a short term / one off medication form.

The reason being that you need written permission before you give the Calpol and if the child isn't fit to be with you, then you should send her home.

So it's unlikely you'll need to fill in many forms for the Calpol.

I use ongoing forms for things like antibiotics where there might be 4 or 5 doses over a few days or for ongoing permission for inhalers etc.

hth :D

miffy
14-12-2009, 09:36 PM
She developed a temperature today so I rang her Mum who was off work herself but she didn't want her at home!

Wendy x

What a cheek on mum's part!

Sorry but if the child is ill she shouldn't be with you.

Miffy xx

guest3
14-12-2009, 10:26 PM
What a cheek on mum's part!

Sorry but if the child is ill she shouldn't be with you.

Miffy xx

Thats what I thought Miffy! I bet she sends her again in the morning though

Wendy x

Pauline
14-12-2009, 10:29 PM
and on the form it is best to call it Infant Paracetamol rather than Calpol. A friend of mine was picked up on that at an inspection.

Calpol is a trade name not the medication. :)

guest3
14-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for your reply Sarah

Wendy x

guest3
14-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Will bare that in mind Pauline, thanks :)

Wendy x

Minstrel
15-12-2009, 08:06 AM
and on the form it is best to call it Infant Paracetamol rather than Calpol. A friend of mine was picked up on that at an inspection.

Calpol is a trade name not the medication. :)

Another instance where ofsted are inconsistant. I read a local minders report when preparing for mine and she was picked up on the fact that she had put cough medicine in her book and was told it had to be the name on the bottle. :panic:

I'm always soooo confused. We are expected to know what they want but even they don't know! :panic:

Chell
15-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Another instance where ofsted are inconsistant. I read a local minders report when preparing for mine and she was picked up on the fact that she had put cough medicine in her book and was told it had to be the name on the bottle. :panic:

I'm always soooo confused. We are expected to know what they want but even they don't know! :panic:

There are loads of different types of cough medicines though containing different drugs. Infant paracetamol is the actual drug in Calpol IYSWIM, like Neurofen is a trade name for a brand of Ibuprofen.

Minstrel
15-12-2009, 08:17 AM
There are loads of different types of cough medicines though containing different drugs. Infant paracetamol is the actual drug in Calpol IYSWIM, like Neurofen is a trade name for a brand of Ibuprofen.

oh ok :blush:

i understand now :)

Pauline
15-12-2009, 08:18 AM

I think she should have put the actual name of the main ingredient, it is often written under the trade name of the medicine.

Like Chell says, there are so many different types of cough medicine. That would make it difficult for anyone to know what they had actually had in the case of an enquiry, if that is all that was written.

Minstrel
15-12-2009, 08:21 AM
I think she should have put the actual name of the main ingredient, it is often written under the trade name of the medicine.

Like Chell says, there are so many different types of cough medicine. That would make it difficult for anyone to know what they had actually had in the case of an enquiry, if that is all that was written.

ok thanks :D

Straws
15-12-2009, 09:03 AM
I was told to write name of medicine, expiry date, and batch number,

Straws xx