PDA

View Full Version : grit salt...

Blackhorse
14-12-2009, 09:25 AM
do you get it for the path to your house and outdoors steps?
If so where???

I have put kitchen salt out this morning as my stairs where iced over....and it is very slippery...

obviously if you are out and about there will still be ice around but I am not sure if we are required (like some public buildings - which I know we are not) to have the outside properly de-iced and gritted in the winter?

are we liable if parents and our kids slip and fall on our property because of ice?

sarah707
14-12-2009, 10:31 AM
You need to risk assess the possibility of parents / children slipping.

If they hurt themselves on ice on your property they could sue you (as could any visitor).

I spread salt when it's slippy :D

huggableshelly
14-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I drop a rubber mat over my step in the icy weather and warn parents to be careful as they step back out of my home. Sand is a good thing to use on the path, it doesnt really do much other than show up and make parents more aware and its a good way to dispose of old sand too.

PixiePetal
14-12-2009, 10:36 AM
When we lived on an estate, I salted my path and steps to the house - didn't want to fall myself either.:blush:

No we are on the farm, will have to see how it goes, off to get more table salt today as it was -2 and frosty this am :cold:

Also bothered by the lane, it is a minor road to say the least and not gritted. It had black ice a couple of weeeks ago and I nearly fell over. Not sure what to do about that though?

fionamal
14-12-2009, 10:56 AM
I buy a bucket of grit from Makro and it generally does me for a couple of years. It seams to work better than the grit the councils put out as it melts the ice instantly on impact. Cant remember how much it is but wasnt much more than 5 or 6 pounds for a 5kg bucket.

TheBTeam
14-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I salt and regularly clear off the path on my garden, as much for my benefit, cos if any numpty would fall on it, it would be me!:laughing:

That reminds me best go and add some to the shopping order!

Trouble
14-12-2009, 01:44 PM
ive used the sand out of my kids sand pit and ill buy new next year:D :D

madasahatter
14-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Cheapest place for grit salt is usually your local builders yard (probably about 1/2 the price of B&Q).
Using up the old sand from your sandpit is an excellent idea as long as you don't spread it too thick and get loads being trailed into the house.

amanda1309
14-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I got a bucket and filled it with grit from the council salt box that is situated just a bit further round our estate.

Its probably classed as stealing but i pay my council tax.:laughing:

sweets
14-12-2009, 06:36 PM
I got a bucket and filled it with grit from the council salt box that is situated just a bit further round our estate.

Its probably classed as stealing but i pay my council tax.:laughing:

oommm gonna tell on you:eek:

OrlandoBelle
14-12-2009, 06:41 PM
oommm gonna tell on you:eek:

That was my original idea too :blush: Knowing my luck though, i'd be seen!

Chell
14-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Aimie, Howarth Timber on Geddington Road are selling small bags.

OrlandoBelle
14-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Oooh, thanks Chell, I will have to go and get some. My path was so icy last year it was dangerous and table salt didn't work at all. Will have to put it in my risk assessment folder. Don't forget to put it in yours for when your Christmas eve visitor comes! xx

Chell
14-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Oooh, thanks Chell, I will have to go and get some. My path was so icy last year it was dangerous and table salt didn't work at all. Will have to put it in my risk assessment folder. Don't forget to put it in yours for when your Christmas eve visitor comes! xx

If a bloke with a dodgy Manchester accent and a cut on his face where I smacked him serves you then say hello! :p He is my DH. :laughing:

FizzysFriends
14-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I get a tube of it from instore and put it down the part of the drive we walk on, the steps are under a canapy so don't get wet/icy.

There is a council grit bin in the street but the men(that live in the street) go out and do the road as its a slope and very skiddy when icy/snow.

OrlandoBelle
14-12-2009, 07:43 PM
If a bloke with a dodgy Manchester accent and a cut on his face where I smacked him serves you then say hello! :p He is my DH. :laughing:

Lol, OK, will do.:laughing: I will prob send my DH out to get it with the excuse that i'm pregnant and cant lift heavy bags around :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Works every time ;)