PDA

View Full Version : telling the time

Hebs
13-12-2009, 09:12 PM
does anyone know of any good websites that helps teach children to tell the time?

Pauline
13-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't think you need a website, you could make a clock from card and two hands held together with a split pin. Then do different activities using the clock with hands pointing at time and talk about (for instance) breakfast time, school time, bed times etc. :)

Hebs
13-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I don't think you need a website, you could make a clock from card and two hands held together with a split pin. Then do different activities using the clock with hands pointing at time and talk about (for instance) breakfast time, school time, bed times etc. :)

it's for my son :blush:

we have tried loads of ways to teach him but he just doesn't get it :blush:

he's nearly 10

x

Pauline
13-12-2009, 09:59 PM
how about this, he can learn Welsh at the same time. I think it is fantastic :thumbsup:

www.bbc.co.uk/wales/snapdragon/yesflash/time-1.htm (http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/snapdragon/yesflash/time-1.htm)

PixiePetal
13-12-2009, 10:01 PM
I had a cassette tape - in the days before CDs! with songs about telling the time, is there something similar available now on CD? Might be worth a look online?

sarah707
13-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Don't worry about it! It's really common, sometimes it doesn't click for years.

He will probably find digital much easier and you can help him associate numbers with things that happen...

7 at the front in the morning means getting up...

9 at the front means at school...

1 at the front means lunch time.

I taught a 14 year old this way recently :D

sweets
13-12-2009, 10:26 PM
i know a 12 year old that cant tell the time. its a hard thing for them to learn but one day it will just click.

its especially hard as at school all maths is done in tens and units, money is in tens too whereas telling the time is done in 12's!

Hebs
14-12-2009, 11:15 AM
he can tell the time on a digital clock, and is great at maths (top 2% of UK for his SAT's)

but an regular clock (with hands) he just can't figure it out

god help him cos i've bought him a watch for christmas :blush: :blush:

huggableshelly
14-12-2009, 11:32 AM
my sis cant tell the time by a "normal" clock face, she has never been able too and is now 23 but amazingly my son who is dyspraxic and struggles with many basic skills has been able to tell the time since he was 6 to the exact minute.

The Juggler
14-12-2009, 01:36 PM
it's for my son :blush:

we have tried loads of ways to teach him but he just doesn't get it :blush:

he's nearly 10

x

Hebs, my ds has really problems too, he was 10 in October. As I posted before am sure he is dyslexic and this is one of the common indicators, trouble with sequencing, left and right and time (past and to). He'll get there, they just find it harder. I think the clock and physically moving the hands himself is the best way.

I also used to draw (and still do) lots of circles. My son understands half and quarters when it just relates to circles but found it hard to apply to the clock. So when he struggles, I draw a circle and lines through it to cut it up and that helps him remember quarter to/half past etc.

Not much help, sorry.