PDA

View Full Version : how do i begin?? please help!!

linz7981
12-12-2009, 06:45 PM
I am just starting childminding I have my own little boy who 6 month,so i quit my full time job to mind instead, now i worried no terrified!! that i wont get any children to look after. There are alot of minders in the area already, I have just got a website up and running in the last 2 weeks and i have had flyers printed, i wondered if anyone got any advice on what worked for anyone else?????

HELP!!!!! HA HA

Blaze
12-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Slow down - your status says pre-reg - how far along are you in the process?

beccas
12-12-2009, 07:03 PM
take a chill pill!!!!! word of mouth did it for me being seen going to toddler groups and getting myself known.

pinklady
12-12-2009, 07:08 PM
First of all...take a deep breath, it will be ok!

Have you got adverts on netmums and childcare.co.uk? both are free and I've had enquiries from my adverts on there. I also have a magnet on my car (from vistaprint) and leave my cards anywhere I can at toddler groups, pre-schools etc.

It doesn't really matter if there are lots of childminders in your area already because I believe it's all about personalities and you'll find that you'll just click with some parents and they'll choose you. Hope that makes sense :blush:

And finally...sending good (((vibes))) they often work on here!

Tatjana
12-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Pink lady is right, if they like you and their child likes your setting they will go with you no matter how many childminders in your area.

Good luck!

xx

linz7981
14-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I have just got registration threw sorrt if sounded stressed!!!! lol

linz7981
14-12-2009, 02:55 PM
thank you everyone for your comments i know i sound crazy just starting something like this is very dawnting and new to the area where i live all in all is overwhelming to say the least lol

Louise_Oaktree
14-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi

I also gave up my full time job to be a Childminder - my son was a baby and I gave up £17k a year to become self-employed :eek:

I was worried for all the same reasons, but we sat down with expenditure and bills and worked out what the minimum children/days/fees we could survive off and I have ALWAYS been above that amount.

I have found that the more money you earn the more money you spend and we can manage on much less than we ever imagined. Money has been great as I no longer have any childcare to pay for so we are financially better off than if I was working.

I took too many children on and Childminding became a chore so I have just reduced my numbers at a time when everyone else is praying for more :rolleyes: but even on a really bad day I just think to myself - what job would allow me to spend so much time with my son?

Those first few years are precious - try to enjoy your time with your son - get to ALL the toddler groups you can find and take your flyers :thumbsup:

I have visited lots of Childminders in my area as they have become friends and although I respect them and we help each other with passing on enquiries etc we are all different and parents will all like something different. Parents like me because I have so many resources and the set-up means we are all together all the time (not separate rooms, more open plan) but other parents like my friend as she is "mature" and has a lot of experience. Some prefer me as I have my own son who is still little so my experience is "recent" all parents are different and want different things.

Make a list of your good points and talk about them :thumbsup: