PDA

View Full Version : Still fuming!!

Twinkle
12-12-2009, 02:25 PM
As I posted yesterday, the rear window on my car shattered as I was driving along the motorway. I then found out that although I was covered to have the glass replaced (paying the £60 excess), the baby seats that were in my boot and got covered in glass are not covered and I will have to pay to replace them.

I have used Motorminder for the ten years I have been childminding and have been fortunate not to have made a claim so far. My broker is Layton Blackham, my insurance company is Bluefin and I pay the little extra for an 'elite service'.

My problem today - sorry if I'm going on a bit - is that whilst the gentleman was replacing the window he broke the arm on the windscreen wiper, it sheered off and I now need a complete new wiper motor. So, I phoned Layton Blackham's Elite Motor UK 24 Hour Claim and Emergency Assistance Helpline only to find that it closes for weekends!! So I now have a car that I can drive but only if it's not raining and I won't find out any more until Monday afternoon at the earliest!

So if any other minders have the same insurance as me, please don't be drawn into paying any more for an elite service because it doesn't exist :angry:

Sorry for ranting but I do feel a little better now, thank you :)

miffy
12-12-2009, 02:28 PM
No wonder you're fuming! I'd be asking for the extra money you paid for the elite service back!

Hope you get it sorted on Monday

Miffy xx

beccas
12-12-2009, 02:29 PM
oh my god i too have this anf i have the same for my home insurance, thinking maybe should start to look around...

Twinkle
12-12-2009, 02:31 PM
According to bluefin they are the only providers of a policy especially tailored to childminders.

Does anyone know any different? Have I been taken in by a load of flannel?

beccas
12-12-2009, 02:40 PM
i am now going to have a google to find out....

found 2 towergate but doesnt say who under writes them and they only cover you for 3 children at one time bit rubbish if you have more.

mortonmichel they are unwirtten by sterling insurance, i think i will be giving these a call.

AliceK
12-12-2009, 03:25 PM
What a pain and how inconvenient.
I had to have a new wiper motor on my Galaxy and it was about £200 :eek: . Hope they manage to sort this out for you ASAP.

xxxxxx

tulip0803
12-12-2009, 04:13 PM
According to bluefin they are the only providers of a policy especially tailored to childminders.

I haven't used them but Morton Michel do childminder car insurance (http://www.*****************/ChildMinder/car_insurance.asp)

I use swiftcover - not tailored to childminding but covered for childminding on business insurance

FizzysFriends
12-12-2009, 04:52 PM

They may be the only taylor made provider but you don't need insurance taylor made to minding you just need business cover. Car seats are covered in an accident by all insurance companies.

georgie456
12-12-2009, 05:23 PM
They may be the only taylor made provider but you don't need insurance taylor made to minding you just need business cover. Car seats are covered in an accident by all insurance companies.

I also do not use a specific childminding insurer - I have business cover on mine.
However, I think Twinkle's problem is that as the window just shattered on it's own she is not covered as she didn't actually have an accident.
Unfortunately it would probably be the same on most policies. Very unfair though. I hope you get it sorted.

youarewhatyoueat
13-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Why do you need to replace the seats? can't you remove the covers and shake the glass out and wash them or just buy new covers. The glass from cars is designed not to be sharp like normal glass.
I never use my winscreen wipers anyway, I wouldn't pay for extra service for childminders that sounds like a con, I just added it to my house insurance and both cars for free.

sweets
13-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Why do you need to replace the seats? can't you remove the covers and shake the glass out and wash them or just buy new covers. The glass from cars is designed not to be sharp like normal glass.
I never use my winscreen wipers anyway, I wouldn't pay for extra service for childminders that sounds like a con, I just added it to my house insurance and both cars for free.

i personaly would give this a go too. window glass isnt sharp. give them a good shake, hoover them and wash them then run your hands all over them to check. worth a go.

Heaven Scent
13-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Surely if they garage broke your wiper then they are responsible for replacing it!!!! My DH had took a car into the garage we bought it from for a regular service and one of the men from the garage reversed another car into it and they just held onto it and repaired it - it was a main dealer.

Also he took my car to an accident repair centre to have some damage to it repaired and when respraying the door they put some masking tape on the handle and took some paint off it when removing the tape - they claimed responsibility for replacing the handles.

I'd go back down that route if I were you!!!! I bet your insurance company would advise you to do the same. If it snapped because it was partly corrroded then you wouldn't be covered under your insurance - I'd go back to the garage for defo - it probaly would have lasted for years more even if it was partly corroded if it had been left alone.

Ripeberry
13-12-2009, 01:20 PM
First of all, car seats don't need to be replaced, just take the covers off, shake and wash them, turn the seats upside down shake really well and vaccum.
Secondly, the person who broke your windscreen wiper is liable NOT your insurance company...the windscreen man was just trying it on.
Contact your insurers tomorrow and get things moving.
Insurance companies say they have 24hr cover, but it's not always the case, more of a message system.
Hope it all gets sorted soon.

Heaven Scent
13-12-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm with motor minder too and they only insure your car seats if you've been in an accident caused by someone else but not if the accident is your fault. I would go with the others on the cleaning of the seats I'm afraid the cheeky so and so's don't actually pay out they get the money from the other sides insurers.

Twinkle
13-12-2009, 08:30 PM
I've tried hoovering, washing and hoovering again - the seats still look as though they have glitter sprinkled on them.

I'm searching online now to try and find replacement covers.

Annie_T
14-12-2009, 09:26 AM
let us know what they say bout the wiper hun

surely the car seats are fine just need a hoover & covers washed? (remove any bits)

i not had back wndow break yet but that must of been annoying.

the man should have to pay for the damage he caused

Alibali
14-12-2009, 02:49 PM
THe garage have to pay for the wiper as they broke it, don't let them away with it.

Twinkle
14-12-2009, 09:59 PM
I have a whole car again!! :)

I had heard nothing from the garage by 2:00pm - so I rang them - the manager knew nothing about it. Extremely apologetic - arranged new part and had it fitted by 5:00pm :D