PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ofsted are coming!

lizzymoonshine
06-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Can anyone please offer advice!

Ofsted are coming out to inspect on Tuesday. I have updated all my policies and paperwork, the house has had a makeover but i have a few concerns.

I have spoken to a childminder locally who has had her inspection who said that the inspector likes to ask the children questions on germs and things, which is good, but, the little boy i have when she is coming is not in the best of moods at the moment. just says no to people (nearly 4 by the way). i have issues getting him out of nursery and if anyone asks him, says he doesn't like coming to my house. (i'm not granny).

When he gets to my house he is fine, seems to love it, joins in and is enthusiastic, but he doesn't respond to strangers well and don't think he will be impressed when asked why its important to wash his hands etc!

Same with fire drills, i don't even think he understands the concept, i have tried books, pictures, explaining really simply, even resorted to bribery.

sorry to ramble.

Will the ofsted lady just take it in her stride, or will it be frowned upon! Panic is setting in!!!!!

:eek: :eek:

sarah707
06-03-2008, 11:06 AM
The vast majority of inspectors have got lots of experience with children who won't talk to strangers!

My inspector asked the little girl I had what we did if there was a fire and she did give an answer (bless her!) but lots won't and Ofsted know that.

I would go back a bit and document the problems with this little boy - what has been happening, how you have worked with mum and nursery to try and resolve the isses etc. Then if anything happens while she is with you, you can draw the Inspector's eye to the paperwork and let her see you have concerns that you are tackling.

Everything else sounds like you're under control but shout if you get a panic!... :D

Blaze
I really wouldn't worry about something you have no control over. I'm sure she is used to unresponsive children or one's that come out with things that make us want the ground to open up!:rolleyes: Relax & be yourself...I'm sure it will be fine! Good luck & keep us posted!
Tasha:)

Mollymop
I just wanted to say good luck! I hope it goes really well X

angeldelight
06-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I would not worry one bit to be honest

He is a child and all kids have tantrums etc - its how you deal with it when she is there that is the important bit
I would take it in your stride and do not worry

The inspector will hopefully be human ha so will be used to kids dont worry

You sound like you have everything under control so good luck

Angel xx

avril
06-03-2008, 11:29 AM
My inspector asked the little girl I look after what do you do if there is a fire she went bright red just looked and finally answered go out the door!! Bless her as she's not that good with strange adults fine with kids though!

avril x:)

avril
06-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Sorry forgot to sat GOOD LUCK

Avril x

HilaryT
06-03-2008, 02:33 PM
My inspector was really friendly and chatty and very good with the kids - she had been a childminder herself, and understood the situation. Lots of children are shy with strangers, so just relax (ha ha look who's talking who didn't sleep for weeks!) explain the situation and look confident (i.e., fixed grin!) and good luck!

Hilary

ma7ie
06-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I've not had my inspection yet so can't help, but good luck. :D

ajs
06-03-2008, 03:06 PM
hi lizzie if you have the inspector i think you're having according to miffy then she is great so don't worry
she was my inspector and when my little mindee asked why the office was so tidy the inspector laughed and i was just honest and said that this nice lady was coming to check that i looked after her ok the inspector just asked why, isn't it always this tidy and said to me not to worry about it she was used to it

wendywu
06-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Just say sorry he wont talk to strangers. Its almost like they are trying to catch us out.:angry:

Splish Splosh
06-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Iagree with wendywu good luck wish you all the best.

lizzymoonshine
06-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Thank you ladies, its just getting worse now, think ofsted curse us!

my fence has blown down on my back garden and needs to be ordered because its not a normal size, and i've just broke two cupboard locks!!!!!!

aaaaaaarrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

oh well, guess what hubby will be up to this weekend!

hehe hehe :)

lizzymoonshine
06-03-2008, 06:19 PM
By the way, thanks for all your support, what would i do without you guys!

:)

Banana
06-03-2008, 06:24 PM
good luck and do not worry.

be calm and confident

xx

crazybones
06-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Thank you ladies, its just getting worse now, think ofsted curse us!

my fence has blown down on my back garden and needs to be ordered because its not a normal size, and i've just broke two cupboard locks!!!!!!

aaaaaaarrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

oh well, guess what hubby will be up to this weekend!

hehe hehe :)

Oh god it is a curse. They are coming to me next week and I need a fence panel too. The slats have just sort of separated and and some have fell into the garden behind.

Get the Holy water out, I am going to mass on Sunday.

Annie x

miffy
06-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm sure you'll both be absolutely fine

Good luck

Miffy xx

Heaven Scent
06-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I'll try jlto reer to get up and go to mass for both of you on Sunday and all the very very best of luck to you both. I'd talk to the children about all the things you think that you might be asked about but don't tell them why and go over it say things like "remember when I shout fire - we all ...... and say what you do and then ask them to tell you and so on and so forth so you put it in their minds do it on a regular basis like when having snacks and meals and when doing the school run etc so they just feel like you are chatting to them it will be good practice for you too so that when you are so nervous and you go to open your mouth to answer any questions and you feel like your tongue has disconnected itself and your teeth are all loose in your mouth then you will answer at least some of the questions with ease and it will do your confidence the power of good. - Just thought that one up myself now I'm going to do it from tomorrow as every time the phone rings I take a deep breath and don't breath again until I know its not them. Silly I know but thats how I am.

Celine:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

emler
06-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Good luck to both of you

Emler x

lindylou
06-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Good luck let us all know how you get on
Linxx

ruby
06-03-2008, 09:59 PM
good luck for Tuesday hope all goes well

Cathy

deeb66
08-03-2008, 03:39 PM
If you don't manage to get the fences sorted then make sure that you risk assess the fact that there is a problem with the fence and state quite clearly that the fence has only just gone down and that you are in the process of sorting out repairs.

Also state that the children will not use the garden until the fence has been sorted.

Don't get me wrong it would definately be better to get the fence sorted before she comes next week but the inspectors also realise that these sorts of things happen (especially as winds are expected to be really bad this weekend) but what they want to see is how you deal with it.

Good luck for next week.....I am sure you will both be fine!

crazybones
08-03-2008, 06:49 PM
If you don't manage to get the fences sorted then make sure that you risk assess the fact that there is a problem with the fence and state quite clearly that the fence has only just gone down and that you are in the process of sorting out repairs.

Also state that the children will not use the garden until the fence has been sorted.

Don't get me wrong it would definately be better to get the fence sorted before she comes next week but the inspectors also realise that these sorts of things happen (especially as winds are expected to be really bad this weekend) but what they want to see is how you deal with it.

Good luck for next week.....I am sure you will both be fine!

We have been outside trying to sort fence out but definitely need a new panel. We have no chance of getting it sorted by Wednesday but we have nailed some slats back and blocked off the rest. There is no way a child can get out. Do you think this will be ok if present a risk assessment stating this. Just as I thought I was ready Mother Nature intervenes.

Annie x

deeb66
08-03-2008, 07:18 PM
We have been outside trying to sort fence out but definitely need a new panel. We have no chance of getting it sorted by Wednesday but we have nailed some slats back and blocked off the rest. There is no way a child can get out. Do you think this will be ok if present a risk assessment stating this. Just as I thought I was ready Mother Nature intervenes.

Annie x

I would have thought it would be ok!

you have done your best to make it safe and have risk assessed it and intent to carry on with the repairs.

They have got to expect that things will break/fail.....I think as long as you are dealing with it then it shouldn't be a problem!.

when i had my inspection the doors on my big metal shed had broken. As it contains the gardening tools etc I had to make sure that the children cannot get access to it.

i have a huge BBQ that is on a trolley that has a permanent cover on it and is really heavy so i just stuck that in front of the shed and risk assessed.....the inspector was fine about it as I had been dealing with the problem and not ignored it!

elaineg
08-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Good luck

love Elaine xX