PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diary - make your own or buy one?

Saz
06-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Hello,

Quick question - should I buy a daily diary off ebay or do you make your own?

If you make your own what do I need in it?

Will be minding a 15 month old once registered.

Thank you!:clapping:

katickles
06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi - I have made my own. I got some really cheap hard back books from Tescos (44p) & then bought a childminders diary from ebay (Bev Mapps). I have then printed sections in A5 & stuck them in to personalize the diarys.

I spoke to the parents to ask, do they want to know about nappies, ie wet / dirty & they don't so i don't write about that. I write what the child has eaten. What we've done that day & some comments on general moods.

If you get permission for photos you can also take piccies & stick these in. Build up a story kind of thing. Hoping will look great after a while & will be a nice book for parents to look back on when child leaves. Also great for ofsted inspections & showing of EYFS obs.

:)

ma7ie
06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I just use a hardback A5 book. I write in

time of arrival and who brought child,
time of departure and who collected child.
What child had for breakfast
What child had for lunch
When I changed nappies
If they had a sleep and for how long (time from and to)
What we did during the day and any achievements.
Anything I want to tell the parent that I may forget when they collect and have a space for any parent contribution.

It tends to fill one A5 page. :D

sarah707
06-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Are you thinking about something for you to record what baby has done...?

Personally, I use a notebook which goes home every night in baby's bag and comes back with mum and I encourage mum to put comments in which I use for my obs etc...

Bev on here sells some lovely bound baby diaries in her Ebay shop... www.childminding-treasures.com (she's a forum friend) or there are ideas for contents on www.bromleycma.org.uk if you want to make your own.

It is very important for EYFS that we involve parents, so anything which shows you are both communicating with them and encouraging a 2 way flow of information is good practice. Up to you how you want to do it.

Hope this helps! :D

avril
06-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I also just use a hard backed book and more or less say the same as above BUT also keep a page clear at the front so I can write my holidays in that way the partents have them to hand each evening if needed and I can plenty of written notice without pieces of paper being lost!
Another thing I stick a copy of my complaints procedure in the book so again cannot be lost.

Avril x:)

sarah707
06-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Another thing I stick a copy of my complaints procedure in the book so again cannot be lost.

Avril x:)

That is a very good idea! :idea:

bubbly
06-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I make my own in a simple form layout. I include:

Child's name
Today's date
I arrived with.... (i.e. mum / dad, plus time)
I left with..... (as above)
Things I did today / Toys I played with / Observations from childminder
What I ate / drank
Who provided baby milk / food (i.e. parents or CM or both)
I did / did not sleep today (plus times and place i.e. in the cot or bedroom)
My mood today (happy / grumpy / tired / other)
Nappy changing / potty times and if soiled or wet

I always leave space for the parents to write comments should they wish. I print off 2 copies - one for myself and one for the parents. So far i've had no comments from parents but if I did, I'd photocopy their returned form for my records and return the original.

Don't know if I'm doing it right but I like the layout and it's easy to complete on my laptop each day.

berkschick
06-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I just use a small notebook and write an account if the day in it.

It goes backwards and forwards with the child.

Saz
06-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Fantastic - great ideas from everyone!!!

My only worry is that I will only part-time when first starting; once a week. So the book might go missing during the week.

bubbly
06-03-2008, 12:57 PM
My only worry is that I will only part-time when first starting; once a week. So the book might go missing during the week.

I was worried about that too. That's why I print off two A4 copies - one for myself and one for the parents (I currently have 2 mindees who have the same mum but different dads). I file the diaries in transparent pouches in the child's folder. If I wrote in a book I wouldn't trust it to be returned every day.

All parents are different though and some wouldn't have a problem ensuring the book is looked after and returned.

allinatiz
06-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I use a note book for mine and just write what my mindee has eaten, nap times and anything of note that we've done/she did that day. I used to send it home every night but mum asked me if I could keep it all week and she'd take it at weekend to look through which is ok as we always have a chat when she picks her daughter up and if there was anything I wanted to draw her attention to I'd mention it then. Plus that does mean that whenever my inspection comes up I will have it with me and it won't be forgotten ;)

Tatia
06-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I use one of those small cheap spiral notebooks that's bound at the top? Sort of flips up? From Asda for 30 p or some cheap price. These go home with parents. I just free hand write about food, nappies, naptime, activities, all about our day. I tend to cover 2 pages back and front per kid per day! I only use the cheapo things because I have had too many go walkabouts and I was tired of spending the money. When I share pictures, I either put them on a cd or a memory stick and let parent take them home to put on their computers (if parent didn't have comp, I'd make copies). It's cheaper and easier on my comp than printing them all out. I also keep an observations book for each child (not school agers, though) in which I keep all their daily obs and pictures that show evidence (this is a ring binder). Parents are welcome to look at it but it stays with me. It's my proof for OFSTED! In addition, I have a big photo album that contains pics of everyone, including school agers, having fun and enjoying the setting.

Tatia
06-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Gosh, I do run on. My whole point was this - do NOT bargain on your daily diary being your proof for OFSTED that you are doing obs or working with parents as partners. Sure as the sun shines, it will get lost or misplaced or just not show up when you need it most.

Saz
07-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks Tatia!!!:)

Thanks everyone for sharing your ways of working with me. It is abit strange starting a new job without someone to show me the ropes. If you all know what I mean - whenever you start a new job someone always shows you around, shows you the loos and the kitchen, shows you what paperwork gets filed where, etc etc. Instead I am spending ages trawling the internet and reading my ICP info and National Standards trying to figure out what is good practice.

jmoff
07-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks Tatia!!!:)

Thanks everyone for sharing your ways of working with me. It is abit strange starting a new job without someone to show me the ropes. If you all know what I mean - whenever you start a new job someone always shows you around, shows you the loos and the kitchen, shows you what paperwork gets filed where, etc etc. Instead I am spending ages trawling the internet and reading my ICP info and National Standards trying to figure out what is good practice.

DO you not have a support minder?They should help...
Well, my one wasnt any good and I go all the advice from here.

Re diaries: I make my own, print out load of pages on A4 -yes, quite big, and my husbads binds it at work for me...all the parents love it and make comments about it.

Good luck with it all.

Jana

deeb66
08-03-2008, 02:37 PM
DO you not have a support minder?They should help...
Well, my one wasnt any good and I go all the advice from here.

Jana

Thats a shame Jana.

I am a Support Minder and take my role very seriously and try my best to help my supportees.

miffy
08-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Aah so i do need a binding machine after all

Miffy xx

Rubybubbles
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Aah so i do need a binding machine after all

Miffy xx

seems that way miffy:laughing:

Tatia
11-03-2008, 09:55 AM
I am a Support Minder and take my role very seriously and try my best to help my supportees.

So do I. And when I was new, my support minder was a big help to me so I'm happy to return the favour.

Banana
11-03-2008, 10:21 AM
i just use a notbook.

i record what the children have done and what they have eaten, naps and any issues

xx

Michelle M
11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I just use a hardback A5 book. I write in

time of arrival and who brought child,
time of departure and who collected child.
What child had for breakfast
What child had for lunch
When I changed nappies
If they had a sleep and for how long (time from and to)
What we did during the day and any achievements.
Anything I want to tell the parent that I may forget when they collect and have a space for any parent contribution.

It tends to fill one A5 page. :D

I do the same, and add small photos, if we have been on a trip. I also have a seperate large scrap book with art work (some on the wall too) and photots of trips etc.

Michelle x

Saz
12-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes I am going to ask about a Support Minder.

But for now, this website and all who post on it are my Support Minders!

tinkerbell_85
14-03-2008, 02:31 PM
I think it would be nicer to make your own, becomes more personal and totally agree with encouraging parents to write comments as well.

Think you should write:
what they have eaten
sleeps
nappies
and what they have done in the morning and afternoon.

Tinkerbell

Pudding Girl
14-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I have a notebook, A5 size, and just note down meals eaten, problems, funny things, what time they slept, how their mood seemed etc.

Will put a note in today to say please feel free to add anything in, hadn't thought of that ;)

Also going to nick the idea of putting photos on a cd for the parents :) ta ;)

karenjoy
14-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Are you thinking about something for you to record what baby has done...?

Personally, I use a notebook which goes home every night in baby's bag and comes back with mum and I encourage mum to put comments in which I use for my obs etc...

Bev on here sells some lovely bound baby diaries in her Ebay shop... www.childminding-treasures.com (she's a forum friend) or there are ideas for contents on www.bromleycma.org.uk if you want to make your own.

It is very important for EYFS that we involve parents, so anything which shows you are both communicating with them and encouraging a 2 way flow of information is good practice. Up to you how you want to do it.

Hope this helps! :D

:D I have just brought mine off Bev before I found this forum!!, How werid is that!!!

emmadines
20-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Gosh, I do run on. My whole point was this - do NOT bargain on your daily diary being your proof for OFSTED that you are doing obs or working with parents as partners. Sure as the sun shines, it will get lost or misplaced or just not show up when you need it most.

so it would be best to have a copy of what is put in the diary?? or even have 2 diarys one your our info and one for the parent!

Hopscotch
20-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I have looked after one boy for well over a year and he has filled about 3 diary's now so i have just kept one of them that is fillled in then i let the parents keep any new ones, but i have seperate folders for their obs, work photos and development plans they just take that home every 4-6 weeks for the weekend so that parents can see it and i make sure that is always returned.
Bev X

Tatia
20-03-2008, 12:34 PM
so it would be best to have a copy of what is put in the diary?? or even have 2 diarys one your our info and one for the parent!

Yes, sort of. It depends on how you want to do it. I have the notebook diary that goes home to parents with all the daily stuff and encourage parents to write in it back to me. But I keep a separate observation and planning folder (actually a ring binder) that parents can look at but which never, ever leaves my house (though they can take it away at the end of their time with me).