PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Spanish or French book

Chell
11-12-2009, 08:50 PM
My DD is always asking about other languages and knows a few simple words from other languages.

She is always asking me if I know what words are in other languages. She will be five in January and I thought of buying her a simple picture type dictionary. She has just started reception so can't read herself yet, it would be a book for us to share with her.

I'd prefer a book that tells us how to pronounce a word rather than just the spelling in the language IYSWIM.

I think French or Spanish would be best or better still a book with several languages. Can you recommend anything?

beccas
11-12-2009, 08:57 PM
try the festival shop i got a arabic one from there. otherwise try your local library tell them what you want see if they can find anything

miffy
11-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Usborne books used to do the first 1000 words in French and Spanish - they were like a picture dictionary and had the words with small pictures around the page - not sure they gave the pronunciation though.

Do you have The Works near you? They often have language books in. Or you could see what they've got in your local library and then buy the one you like.

Miffy xx

Chell
11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Usborne books used to do the first 1000 words in French and Spanish - they were like a picture dictionary and had the words with small pictures around the page - not sure they gave the pronunciation though.

Do you have The Works near you? They often have language books in. Or you could see what they've got in your local library and then buy the one you like.

Miffy xx

Thanks, I was in The Works today but didn't think to look, it was very busy mind you and I had a pram with me.

We had an Usborne stall at school today. I saw one book at £4.99 but it didn't have the pronunciation.

Chell
11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
try the festival shop i got a arabic one from there. otherwise try your local library tell them what you want see if they can find anything
Good idea re: library, I never thought of that! I'll try the Festival shop now.

Chell
11-12-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure if the Festival Shop is working at the moment, I couldn't view quite a few links. It brought up the same page when I clicked several different page links. :(

I know I said a book but I just found Usborne French Snap cards for £3.43with free P&P. I know they use snap cards quite a lot at school and can also use them as a memory game so I'll try these. If she likes them then I will look for something else. It is her birthday mid January so I need a few ideas.

All useful resources for my childminding too. :thumbsup:

sarah707
11-12-2009, 10:33 PM
You can get dual language Dora the Explorer books which tend to have pronunciation in them.

When I was in France I picked up a couple of French ones as well.

They mean more to the children because they are stories children know with pictures :D

Pauline
11-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Have you seen the booklet that Elodie made? It is in the free downloads, called Petit Pouchet.

Elodie is French and teaches it to English children, excellent booklet. :thumbsup:

Chell
11-12-2009, 10:41 PM
You can get dual language Dora the Explorer books which tend to have pronunciation in them.

When I was in France I picked up a couple of French ones as well.

They mean more to the children because they are stories children know with pictures :D

I noticed on Amazon that the Child's Play rhyme books that I sell with Sign Language come with other languages too. I thought my DD might like those too. She loves 'reading' the signing ones as like you say, she knows the words so she thinks she is actually reading.

Chell
11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Have you seen the booklet that Elodie made? It is in the free downloads, called Petit Pouchet.

Elodie is French and teaches it to English children, excellent booklet. :thumbsup:

No, I'd not seen that but will look, thanks.

Mrs Book
18-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Usborne do a huge range of language books and most of them come with internet links so you can get correct pronounciation for the words you are looking at. The new flash cards also have internet links.

Mine learnt spanish watching Dora & Diago. My sister's friend gave them the complete part works of Dora. Great except when you have to sit through the same episode again & again.

charleyfarley
18-01-2010, 10:17 PM
We have both the French and the Spanish books from the Works, they were only £1 when we got them. We also have the cds from ELC, they are fab and we have them on in the car so we all have fun learning :thumbsup:

Carol xx

bexter
13-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi there,

Interested in this - what's the youngest age anyone has used these kind of books for?

Jiorjiina
10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I got both the french and spanish 'Adventures with Nicholas' (http://www.berlitzpublishing.com/berlitz/learn_nicgift.asp?TAG=&CID=) sets in the Works for a mighty £4.99 each.

I can speak both languages already (if quite rustily), so I don't need a pronunciation guide.

They're brilliant. And you get a cd with traditional songs in each language on it. And a cuddly toy!

Pauline
10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I got both the french and spanish 'Adventures with Nicholas' (http://www.berlitzpublishing.com/berlitz/learn_nicgift.asp?TAG=&CID=) sets in the Works for a mighty £4.99 each.

I can speak both languages already (if quite rustily), so I don't need a pronunciation guide.

They're brilliant. And you get a cd with traditional songs in each language on it. And a cuddly toy!

That looks lovely, some available on Amazon too, I like the cuddly toy!!

(http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=childminding-21&o=2&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=9812467513)Adventures with Nicholas (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/9812467513/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=childminding-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=9812467513)

Penny1959
10-05-2011, 04:51 PM
I use the usborne ones - great as each book has same pictures so makes it easy for me. There is as someone has said an internet link as well

Penny :)

gef918
07-03-2013, 09:46 PM
I bought Little Red Riding Hood (Le Petit Chaperon Rouge) by Ana Lomba. It comes with a CD which tells the story in both french and english, so pronunciation is easy.