PDA

View Full Version : Fuming!!!

Twinkle
11-12-2009, 01:08 PM
:censored: I was driving along the motorway yesterday with 3 older mindees in the back of the car. The back window went bang and shattered. Fortunately it's an estate car and the glass that did drop out fell into the boot. The mindees were fine and just thought it was exciting. Unfortunately because I was just using booster seats for the older ones, I had two car seats in the boot of my car that are now covered in glass and are going to have to be thrown out.

I phoned my insurance company to be told that because I wasn't involved in an accident, the contents of my car are not covered and I cannot claim for the car seats. I am livid!

I've been driving for 26 yrs and never ever made a claim on my insurance and when I genuinely need to make a claim - lo and behold I'm not covered.

LittleAcorns
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
thats seems crazy!!! bet you are so ticked

glad you and mindees are ok x

cuddlybunny38
11-12-2009, 01:22 PM
would your minding insurance cover the seats

madasahatter
11-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Who's your household insurance with? Can you check with them? I use the NCMA Homeminder and belongings in the car are supposed to be covered (though as with all insurance companies they may be able to get round it as goods not stolen or anything)

Alibali
11-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Surely it was an accident?! Glass doesn't just fall out, so some sort of accident must've happened ie a stone being thrown up or something?

Twinkle
11-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I use the NCMA recommended motorminder and homeminder so the chances are they'll get out of it which ever way I claim! :rolleyes:

I'm not letting it lie, have just had a rant (very nicely of course :) ) to head office and they are going to ring me back.

Cazz
11-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Sounds typical of insurance companies!

Good for you for not letting it rest. Hope they change their mind and pay up. You don't need that expense at the moment.

nikim
11-12-2009, 01:44 PM
i would say go with your house insurance but we had a similar issue once where we were involved in a minor accident and because we were travelling at more than 30 miles per hour the carseats had to be replaced, 3 of them at around £100 each :angry: , the other persons car insurance would'nt accept liability as they wernt part of the car :rolleyes: , so i went through my house insurance they wouldnt accept that the seats were damaged and needed proof , so i contacted britax (whose seats i was using) and they very kindly o wrote to my insurance company explaining the risks etc and that i had been advised by them to have the seats destroyed, after which the insurance company paid up,
i think you will probably have to go through your house insurance but you will need to prove that the seats are unusable iyswim, and may only cover the costs of cleaning or replacment covers,
glad you are all ok though could of been worse:)

Twinkle
11-12-2009, 02:20 PM
They've phoned back and they are sticking to their guns - because I was not involved in an accident I cannot put in a claim.

All they can recommend is getting the glass replaced and hoovering the seats!! I'm sorry but I wouldn't put my own child in a car seat that had been covered in glass and I'm certainly not doing that for someone else's child!

The fight goes on!