PDA

View Full Version : Mindee throwing food on the floor

AliceK
11-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi
I have a mindee aged 17mths who has suddenly started throwing her food on the floor. It seems to be just finger food we have at lunchtimes she seems OK with hot food. I've tried telling her sternly "No, we don't throw food on the floor" but she just smiles at me and carries on. Anyway yesterday lunchtime she started and after telling her "No" I ignored her and just watched out of the corner of my eyes and she threw literally ALL her lunch on the floor. So I got her out of her highchair and made her pick it all up. Do you think this was the right way to go about things or how should I deal with this. It's not that she doesn't like the food,she has a huge appetite and I know she likes the food she's got.
Any input greatly appreciated.

xxxxx

OrlandoBelle
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
I think I would've done the same as you. I also have a 14 month old who does this and a 25 month old, although I feel the 14 month old is a little young yet to pick it all up off the floor.

It is so frustrating. We have a dog who happily clears up any food thrown from the highchair (except for banana and fruits!) It's just annoying as we pay so much for food and they don't appreciate it. Plus it ruins the carpet. Espcially when its something like spag bol. I feed all mine in the kitchen now as its easier to clear up.

I would just pick it up and take it away. She'll soon learn she'll go hungry if she puts it on the floor instead of in her mouth!

sarah707
11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
It might be the start of a throwing (trajectory) schema.

A lot of children go through this schema where they seem to have a compulsive need to throw or drop things.

They cannot help themselves and you find all sorts of things being chucked with some force across the room.

It's hard because a child who was previously no trouble suddenly appears to be badly behaved but they are not ... they are just exploring a new thing! They have discovered they can drop things!

The best way to support the child with eating is to give her a couple of small bits of food... when she has eaten those, huge amounts of praise and the next bits.

If she doesn't eat them, then speak to parents about how they want you to manage her meal times while the schema runs it course as she obviously needs to eat.

You can find out more about trajectory and other schemas and how to provide activities for the child here -

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=357248

This is an interesting article -

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=19254

Hth :D

AliceK
11-12-2009, 11:21 AM
It might be the start of a throwing (trajectory) schema.

A lot of children go through this schema where they seem to have a compulsive need to throw or drop things.

They cannot help themselves and you find all sorts of things being chucked with some force across the room.

It's hard because a child who was previously no trouble suddenly appears to be badly behaved but they are not ... they are just exploring a new thing! They have discovered they can drop things!

The best way to support the child with eating is to give her a couple of small bits of food... when she has eaten those, huge amounts of praise and the next bits.

If she doesn't eat them, then speak to parents about how they want you to manage her meal times while the schema runs it course as she obviously needs to eat.

You can find out more about trajectory and other schemas and how to provide activities for the child here -

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=357248

This is an interesting article -

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=19254

Hth :D

Hi
This makes a lot of sense because she started a couple of weeks ago throwing things and so I got the soft balls out and we played at throwing the balls but she HAS been throwing everything lately which this past week has meant my own DD (aged 2) has started copying so they are both now throwing toys around the place. They both get told off for this. Anyway I think you are on to something with this, thanks. I will have a good read of the links and try just giving her small amounts of food on the tray instead of a whole plateful.
Thanks
xxxxxx

Trouble
11-12-2009, 12:29 PM
i agree with sarah

i have a child that stuffs all of her food in at once and i put it all on a plate but only give her bits at a time :D works a treat:D

mushpea
11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
think yourself lucky,, i have one who, when he dosent want anymore will start throwing up !!,

if it were me i would do a stern No and if they carried on then ignore it and when all the food was on the floor i would say never mind no lunch then, , i would then let them sit there whilst everyone else finishs lunch but wouldnt give the child anymore food then let them go and play, they should get the message prety quick this way.

mama2three
11-12-2009, 03:49 PM
think yourself lucky,, i have one who, when he dosent want anymore will start throwing up !!,

my middle ds used to do that , especially if eating out for some reason. preschool were once having chinese week , and tasting etc. i did warn them not to press him if he didnt want to try anything. but of course they pushed him to 'just try' and he threw up all over the carpet!

back to the op , i agree with sarah too , maybe given lots of opportunities and activities to support them as they go through this stage they will not feel the need to do it with food so much.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
11-12-2009, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=mushpea;591251]think yourself lucky,, i have one who, when he dosent want anymore will start throwing up !!,

My daughter who is 4 in Feb makes herself eurge when she has to eat something she doesnt like the look of!

She is a very small eater anyway but is soooo fussy, Ive started a sticker chart where everytime she trys a new type of food she gets a sticker after 10 stickers she gets a treat (10p mix).
Its very slowly but surly working.

miffy
11-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Eeewww yuk! I wouldn't like that.

I do agree with Sarah though and as already said would only give a few bits of food at a time.

Hopefully both the throwing and the throwing up will be short-lived!

Miffy xx

pinklady
12-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I agree with Sarah too & also only give a small amount of food at a time. It is a very annoying phase and both my 14 month old mindees are going through this at the moment :rolleyes: and it can try your patience!