PDA

View Full Version : treated myself to a day off

julie w
11-12-2009, 09:16 AM
About six weeks ago I told all parents I was having today off. I've only had 2 weeks this year and I really needed just a day. I'm going to madly clean the house top to bottom then wrap presents and watch a corny Christmas film. So I got my 2 teenagers off to college and school. Sitting here in pj's with the paper. Bliss. Then, as I'm sure you'll all guess, I got the call. " Hi Ju, I know you're not working today, but I've got up late and I need you to take D to school ". It's a good job I'd told the parents I was having major dental treatment today, so I said I couldn't. It's bad enough I had to lie in the first place to justify a day off. I'm not charging anyone today either. But why do I feel so guilty. She said if I couldn't take him to school she would be really late for work. I very nearly gave in, but then thought it wouldnt look good for the other parents to see me when I couldn't take their children. Never mind, I think I feel the guilt slipping away as I write. :D

Mouse
11-12-2009, 09:26 AM
What a cheek! Some parents just don't seem to understand that a day off means you're not working. Some seem to think it means you're not working for anyone else, but will still do it for them :rolleyes:

I've had parents say to me before - "I know you're not working, but will you still be able to have X for a couple of hours", or "I know you're having the day off, but if you're not doing anything specific, could you still have X", or "I know you've booked the day off, but you will still be getting X from nursery won't you"
They look gobsmacked when you say no :laughing:

Enjoy your day off :thumbsup:

haribo
11-12-2009, 09:51 AM
good for you . have a lovely day :)

Jen 10
11-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Good for you. Don't feel guilty. Her child - her responsibility!!

Have a great day off!

Merry-Minder
11-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Well done for being strong - hope you have a good day off (apart from the housework!)

solly
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
This often happens to me, I have also had them turn up at the door on my day off and say oh i forgot even though i had reminded them the previous night when the parents picked up:angry: