PDA

View Full Version : ICan newsletter

Pipsqueak
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
10 December 2009

Welcome to I CAN's December newsletter
Did you know that it takes more than 200 communication processes for a child to understand and respond to the question "What do you want for Christmas?" There are over 50 processes to understand the question and over 150 processes to formulate and deliver a response.

In this edition...
Activities to encourage communication over the Christmas holidays, information for organisations about ordering resources and the last day to Adopt a Word in time for Christmas is Friday 11 December.

Top Tip: Make it easy for your child to listen and talk - Give your child quiet times without background noise (TVs, music etc.) to help them focus on your words. Keep dummies to sleep times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas Activities to Encourage Communication
Christmas is a great time for having fun and playing games that can help to develop children’s speech and language skills:

Remembering games are a really good way to help children listen and pay attention. Try playing 'Father Christmas came down the chimney and brought me.....' This game is a bit like 'My grandmother went shopping....'.
You take it in turns to add a new present each time. One person might say "Father Christmas came down the chimney and brought me some pens" and the next person must remember what Father Christmas has already brought and add something new eg "Father Christmas came down the chimney and brought me some pens and a car". How many things can you all remember?

How about playing a game of Guess What? This will help children listen to information in sentences and use clues to help them understand. Cut out some pictures of Christmas objects from old magazines (or you could use real objects) and arrange them on the table. Use things like baubles, holly, bells, snowman, crackers, cards. Tell the children that you are thinking about one of the things and give them some clues to help them work out which one you are talking about. Give them clues about what type of thing it is, what it is made of and what it can do. Can they guess which object you were thinking of? How many clues did it take? You can let children take a turn too to see if they can give the clues to you.

Why not try making up a Christmas story? Choose your characters and then take turns to add one sentence at a time to see where your story ends up. No doubt it will have a funny ending! Enjoy yourselves having festive fun!

For more activities, why not take a look at the Communication Cookbook activities, or order a copy for £12 plus p&p to give as a Christmas present.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communication Cookbook

The Making Sounds activity from The Communication Cookbook is a great way to get children to play around with sounds.

Chatterbox Challenge

Sponsored singing, signing, games and storytelling. Find out more and sign up to take part in February 2010.
www.chatterboxchallenge.co.uk

I CAN - Improving outcomes for children with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN)

I CAN has been working in the field of children’s speech, language and communication for 40 years. We are one of the UK’s leading providers of bespoke consultancy, training, accreditation and outreach services.

Our range of programmes and services are designed to develop the skills of practitioners and parents in nurseries, schools, children’s centres, cluster settings and local authorities.

We will work by listening to your specific needs and then working with you to find local solutions to enhance existing provision.

You can download I CAN’s Consultancy brochure here.

We can help through our:

Early Talk programme - a learning programme to develop the skills of early years practitioners in the vital area of children’s communication.
Primary Talk programme - a school based learning programme which provides a systematic approach to improving the communication skills of all children at key stages 1 and 2 through staff training and service development.
Bespoke consultancy services
Quality assurance and accreditation
Mentoring and advisory support
Design and delivery of training and CPD for the entire children’s workforce
Information resources
We are currently working across the UK with over 60 local authorities in early years settings, schools and PCTs. If you would like to discuss your needs and arrange a meeting with one of our Regional Team please contact Juliet Hodgkins on jhodgkins@ican.org.uk or 020 7843 2524.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Early Talk training, it was one of the most helpful and enjoyable courses I have been on. It has really made me think about each day with the children, and I have been very aware of the 'talk' going on. My colleagues and I are now keen to undertake the enhanced training too.
Deputy Headteacher / SENCo

Last Day to Adopt a Word for Christmas - Friday 11 December

As Stephen Fry tweeted "Christmas prezzie idea: I've bagged the word "wordy" but there are thousands left http://adoptaword.com"
Words for You

Words for You, a unique CD of favourite poems read by the greatest acting voices in the UK. The proceeds go to I CAN.
Order your copy from Amazon here

The Communication Trust needs your Help!
The Speech Language Communication Framework (SLCF) is a competency based framework that describes the skills and knowledge that someone working with children needs to know in order to support the communication development of all children, and those with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN). It is accessible as an online audit tool via www.communicationhelppoint.org.uk.

We are researching how effective the SLCF is as an evaluation tool and we need volunteers who have not used the SLCF before. For the first 10 people who sign up and complete the task we have £50 worth of excellent free resources for practitioners and parents to support children’s communication development.

This should take no more than an hour of your time - about 30 minutes in January and then again in February. Please contact us if you are able to help on 0207 843 2553 or email enquiries@thecommunicationtrust.org.uk

Short Courses and Workplace Training 2009-2010
I CAN's training meets the needs of all practitioners who work with children in early years setting, schools, local authorities, PCTs and the voluntary sector.

We use the experience of our staff, many of whom work in direct service delivery, and our associates who are experts in the field to provide a unique programme.

I CAN provides short courses held in London. Upcoming courses include:

12/02/2010
Upward Spirals in Language Development in the Early Years

01/03/2010
Working with Autistic Spectrum Disorders in Schools

03/03/2010
Developing Communication through Music - Day 1

03/03/2010
How to be Effective in the Early Years - linking evidence to practice

Download our short courses flier here.

Most of our short courses can also be delivered as workplace training and can be tailored to your needs and delivered in your workplace or venue of your choosing.

Contact Us:
If you would like to contact us please call 0845 225 4073 or email info@ican.org.uk
I CAN, 8 Wakley Street, London, EC1V 7QE

I CAN - the children's communication charity: www.ican.org.uk
Talking Point - the first stop for information on children's communication: www.talkingpoint.org.uk

Charity Registration Number: 210031
Did someone forward you this email? You can sign up to receive this newsletter here