PDA

View Full Version : Fire Drills

crazybones
06-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Could I have anyone's advice. I have a 4 yr old - quite stubborn, joins in when he wants to but WILL NOT partake in fire drills. Have 2 2yr olds who are great and jump up straight away shouting FIRE grab my hand or leg but 4 yr old wont do anything. Tried stickers, are covering safety this month, certificates for lo's who did it and have run out of ideas to persuade him to move.

Annie x

wendywu
06-03-2008, 08:59 AM
In your mind you will have to class him as a baby to be collected up! You cannot be held responsible for the temperament of every child.

But you could try bribery with a sweet. Dont say if you do this i will give you a sweet, say all thoes who jump up for the fire drill will get a sweet, so its up to you if you dont want one, and act as if it does not bother you. He will not want to see the others get one and go without.

I sometimes do this with tidying toys away, no one wants to do it at the end of the day. I get "but i didnt play with that". So i say "thats a shame because who ever helped me was going to get a sweet" i nearly get killed in the rush":laughing:

Good luck

Tatia
06-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Do you have a section in your fire drills to evaluate how they went? Make sure to document all of it, including his refusal to participate. I would talk to the parent to explain the situation and then just make provision for scooping him up on the way out the door. After all, if there was a real fire and he wouldn't get up, you'd need to be prepared for it. I think it would just show you are being realistic and risk assessing the truth of the matter. I mean, how exactly would you escape in the event of a real emergency with 2 little ones wanting to hold your hand and you lugging a 4 year old over your shoulder? At least you'll have practice and know wat to expect! Wonder if a visit to the fire station would help get him interested?

wendywu
06-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Yes in the event of a real fire, i suppose a very loud and stern MOVE NOW and a kick in the backside (figuratively speaking of course) would do the trick!:eek:

Tatia
06-03-2008, 09:39 AM
:laughing:

Of course, I'd continue to try and persuade him join in, including bribery! Wendy, I was once told something that kind of stuck. That is that bribery means trying to get someone to do something naughty. So using sweeties to get a child to tidy up or partake in fire drill isn't really bribery under those circumstances! It's just...persuasion or maybe positive reinforcement. :thumbsup:

angeldelight
06-03-2008, 09:55 AM
I would not bribe him

Say if there is a real fire - is he going to stand there waiting for a sweet before he will move ?

I would very firmly take his hand and take him with me even if I had to drag him gently

This is a situation where you need to be in control

If he cries or screams then so be it its tough im afraid

You are the one in control here - its important - be firm and let him know you are not standing for his tantrums

I would also advise mom of what you are going to be doing

I would also do some activitys about this - colouring etc so he starts to understand the dangers

Good luck

Angel xx

sarah707
06-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm with Angel on this one! :D

crazybones
06-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I have spoken to the mum :mad: She is not interested and she says Oh I know what he is like. End of conversation. I have dressed him as a fireman. He is currently cutting out fireman helmets. I might take the paint outside with a massive piece of paper and get him to make a picture of what fire looks like. Thanks for the advice.

Annie x

mamapink
06-03-2008, 10:45 AM
i do not know if this would work but could he pretend to be the fire or smoke for a fun games session then someone else become the fire/smoke and chase you to the door you could use a timer to show how quickly being near to smoke can get you

then when it is a fire drill a big fire flashcard is used

he will have too just get on with it soon though as i can not see a school let him get away with refusing

bye pink:o

crazybones
06-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Update. :laughing: I printed off some flames to be coloured in and said we are going to put them on a big picture for everyone. I sat him down with crayons and paper and went to the loo. When I came back he had eaten half of the paper :eek: I asked what happend and eventually, after him telling me William had done it, he admitted he ate it because he didnt want to do it. I said thats fine because we will use the other pics but paper isnt really the tastiest thing we can eat. His mum has phoned to say she is picking him up early today so I told her what happend and I think she has realised that I need co-operation on this so she is going to have a little fire talk at home and we will see where that leads. I dont want to do another drill today because I feel like I am pushing him tooo much now. Will work on it more next week.

Annie x

wendywu
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
This is a battle of wills not about the fire drill for him. I thought a reward may break the habit. In my experience once they have done something once or twice then they are happy to continue. I did not mean to give him a sweet every time:eek: Or else he would be starting the fires:laughing:

deeb66
09-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I totally agree with Angel on this one.

If there was a real fire you couldn't stand there trying to reason with him.

If he won't move then you are going to have to make him do so......afterall it is for his own safety and for the safety of others.

crazybones
09-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I totally agree with Angel on this one.

If there was a real fire you couldn't stand there trying to reason with him.

If he won't move then you are going to have to make him do so......afterall it is for his own safety and for the safety of others.

Oh believe me I do make him move. I was just looking for ideas to bring him round to doing it voluntarily. If I ask him what we would do if for example "we were in the Playroom and had to get out and that door was blocked and he tells me we need to use the big window in the front", so I know he understands in that way. I just want him to get up along with everyone else and not sit staring at me.

Annie x

deeb66
09-03-2008, 12:29 PM
I think the only thing you can do Annie is to carrying on with the activities and talking to help.....hopefully he will relent and do as he is asked when you have a drill.

There really isn't much else that you can do.....I think you have been really patient with him and trying to get him to co-operate.

It is just a shame that his parents weren't helping either....it would have been helpful if they had taken on board your suggestions in the first place.

Sounds to me like this young man is used to getting his own way at home!

crazybones
09-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Sounds to me like this young man is used to getting his own way at home!

:laughing: Well this is the same child who gets a lollipop for breakfast sometimes. So Yes you have hit the nail on the head.

Annie x