PDA

View Full Version : Childminding and rheumatoid arthritis

SimplyLucy
09-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I've just been diognosed with rheumatoid arthritis. :panic:

At present it's badly affecting my feet and hands, my feet have been bad since May and my hands have joined in for the last few weeks.

I had bloods taken last week and saw my GP, who confirmed the rheumatoid arthritis, yesterday. I had a consultant appointment arrive this morning (talk about quick) for 21st December.

Do you think I should inform OFSTED now, or wait till I've seen the consulant and I know more about what treatments and therapy they are planning?

I've got myself in a right panic thinking they'll take my registration away from me. :panic: Don't know what I'll do if they do. Maybe they could just stop me having under 5's. I don't know.

Trouble
09-12-2009, 09:22 PM
i think id be tempted to wait unless it affects any health and safety

meant in the nicest way

bless you it sounds painful, big hugs

SimplyLucy
09-12-2009, 09:25 PM
At the moment the only under 5's I have is two 3 year olds. Fortunatly no lifting is involved.

I also live very near the pre-school and school so don't need to walk distances.

It's very painful yes, but being a lone parent to 4 darlings, I've kind of got no choice but to get on with things. :rolleyes:

Trouble
09-12-2009, 09:26 PM
i would of said wait til youve seen the consultant and youll know more:thumbsup:

brightstar
09-12-2009, 09:36 PM
I would carry on as long as it wasn't affecting my ability to care for the children safely. I have osteoarthritis and can symathise with you. I already had it when i was going through the registration process and CSSIW never raised any issues about it. Maybe you could consider getting an assistant to help when it gets worse? Good luck with your apointment.

sarah707
09-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Oh Lucy I'm sorry that must be so scary for you xx

My partner has it in his back and he takes medication which really helps.

Plus he has glucosamine and fish oils every day. They help with his joints.

A really good one should contain 1000mg of each a day.

Yes you should inform Ofsted as it's considered a significant incident if your health changes.

They will want to know that you can manage your work and will probably send an inspector out to talk to you.

They will also contact your doctor.

They won't just come and take your registration away!

Hugs xx

sue m
09-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear you have RA Lucy, mu husband has it, I know how painful it can be, specially during flare ups. Take care.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
09-12-2009, 09:47 PM
hi

i have this in my wrists before i became a childminder and ofsted know all about it and it didnt affect me getting registered.

I have 2 of my own children who are 2 and 3 and i have a mindee who is 4 so doesnt affect my 3 under 5's. I do have to use my wrist supports alot as it makes my wrists sore all the lifting in and out of my car.

hope this helps.

~Chelle~
09-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I have Psoriatic arthritis had it before I registered. Ofsted were fine about it as it was all revealed in my medical report.

I am on medication for life and have to have regular blood tests.

I had a stage where I could hardly walk, feet swelled up to 3 times their normal size. Had a good few months of agony. Then I was put on diclofenac and Leflunomide and after about a month the pain went away.

It does come back slightly in stages, mainly when the weather is cold and damp.

I would inform Ofsted if I were you, they wont take your registration away but may need to see a report from your consultant.

When I had my last inspection I offered to show them my updated reports and she looked over them and said that everything was fine.

Sending you big hugs x

LOOPYLISA
09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I was only thinking about you the other day, wondered where you had gone

Nothing to add, good advise above, hope you get sorted soon, v painful im sure x

SimplyLucy
09-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the support everyone.

It's been quite sudden and aggresive. I have a deformed toe joint already and my fingers on my right hand have twisted in just 2 weeks causing limited and painful movements.

Just hope the consultant can sort something to slow down the process. I sure am impressed with the speed of the appointment.

I've cancelled my work for the rest of this week, mainly because I can't be bothered really, on a real downer.

Guess I'll see how the 21st goes, then dwell on things over Christmas before ringing OFSTED.

karen m
02-03-2010, 09:08 PM
i have RA ,had it for 18 years now told Ofsted at pre reg and was told no worries just let us no if ever it becomes to painful to look after children,ofsted woman said it had not hampered me raising my own 4 so do as i needed i.e take time of if needed

mabel
04-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Lucy ....I was so pleased to read this thread

I had the blood test this last week and have to ring my doctor to see if the
results are in as they are testing for RA. Struggling to make the phone call......
I have suffered with the aches and pains for years (have minded for 15 yrs)
I think it's good minding as it keeps me going although I am shattered at the
end of the day.

I would love a contact with someone having the same pains as me and doing the same job