PDA

View Full Version : Would you mention it?

Tatjana
09-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Today my mindee said she was stupid:eek:

I said 'oh no darling, of course you're not, please don't say that'.

Would you mention it to her parents? I don't know if it's appropriate to do so.

xx

little miss chatterbox
09-12-2009, 05:43 PM
hmmmmm that's a trcicky one I initially was going to say yes because my DD is concerned about her writing saying it's rubbish and I found out it's because she's comparing her writing to her best friend's writing which is fantastic but she can count better than her friend so I have given her lots of reassurance etc telling her that she can't be good at everything and that friend's writing is very good for her age so mindee may need reassurance like that.

However I then wondered if maybe parents had said she was stupid and then whether it would be safe to broach with them? I'm not implying they've said it nastiliy but maybe she did something silly and they said "don't be stupid" or "you stupid girl"

hmmmmm not sure what I would do in this instance - sorry I've not been much help!

Tatjana
09-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Yes it's a bit awkward. She may have just heard the word and applied it to herself without even knowing what she's saying?!

Hmm, think i will leave it...don't want to embarass them if it's completely innocent...they really don't seem the sort of parents to say that to her.

xx

mamasheshe
09-12-2009, 06:51 PM
don't know if i'd say anything how old is she ?

Blackhorse
09-12-2009, 07:01 PM
If it was a one off not sure...but I probably would mention it anyways..

if it was my dd I would want to know...

sarah707
09-12-2009, 07:46 PM
The poor child needs her self confidence and self esteem raising!

I get lots of children telling me they can't do things / they are rubbish at things.

Usually it is other children who are trying a bit of one-up-man-ship.

I focus on their positives and help them feel good about themselves :D

miffy
09-12-2009, 07:57 PM

I get lots of children telling me they can't do things / they are rubbish at things.

I agree.

I'd also mention it to parents so they can help boost her confidence

Miffy xx

Tatjana
09-12-2009, 08:59 PM
She's only 2, so don't think she fully understands what it means.

I'm always praising and complimenting her...sometimes perhaps go overboard with it, as she often says "well done" & "that's brilliant" to me and my boys, lol!

xx

mamasheshe
10-12-2009, 01:16 PM
you could just say she was being a bit negative about herself and need a bit of extra praise?

LittleAcorns
10-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Its heartbreaking isnt it? both my daughters have had self esteem issues, perhaps due to peers, lots of reassurance.

I think because of your mindees age it may be a one off, I would just mention it loosly to mum and see what she says