PDA

View Full Version : Mindee has worms - any advice?

Mouse
09-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Mum has phoned this morning to say that 4 year old mindee has worms. I have to say, I'm not surprised. She always seems to have her hands down her pants & then in her mouth. When I spotted her hands in her pants last week, I took her to wash her hands, but on the way they were in her mouth :rolleyes: The thought of worms went through my head then & now, low & behold, she's got them.

Anyway, mum has treated the whole family, but I'm not sure what action I need to take. Should I treat my own family, should I tell other parents, do I need to be disinfecting everything here?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Twinkles
09-12-2009, 09:33 AM
I would let the other parents know a child in your setting has them and then it's up to them if they want to treat their children or not.

It's a very common problem. I would treat my family if I were you.
As for cleaning , damp dusting should work along with washing all soft toys/ furniture.

Straws
09-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Just clean toys, disinfect bathroom, and vacumm all carpets, I would tell parents that a child has had worms, so they can keep an eye out for them.

Straws xx

mamasheshe
09-12-2009, 09:46 AM
pay special attention to cleaning door handles !!!

Ripeberry
09-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Sorry to ask, but how do you find out if a child has worms. Is it very obvious?
Wriggling in the nappy (sorry) :o I've never seen it in my own children so have not come accross this yet. Uurghhhh!

Blackhorse
09-12-2009, 10:52 AM
this made me cringe.....especially the wriggling in the nappy...
I am also interesting in how you find out..!!

unfortunately my mind works in strange ways and the first thing that came into my mind was: go fishing....:blush: :blush:

Sorry not helpful....

Straws
09-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Children will scratch their bottom, and you can see small thread worms in poo, yuk

Straws xx

Mouse
09-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks for your replies. This little girl only comes afterschool, so it's a limited amount of contact she has with the toys the little ones play with in the daytime. I have had a good clean round though, so have hopefully covered that.

Luckily while she's here she uses paper towels to dry her hands. I guess this shows a good reason why Ofsted frown on them sharing handtowels :thumbsup:

Mum was surprised that her daughter had them as she is very good at washing her hands after she's been to the toilet. I did explain that it's her hands in her pants during the rest of the day that is more of a problem. Mum says she doesn't want to say anything about that to mindee incase it makes her feel bad about herself and cause problems. Um, hello...it has already caused problems!

Anyway, I will let other parents know & tell them to keep an eye open for tell tale signs.

As for how do you know if your child has worms, this mindee complained of a sore,itchy bottom & mum had a look. I can only assume she saw them.