PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with fees etc.............HELP!!!!

Auntie charlotte
05-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I had someone come 4 a visit couple days ago n we discussed everything. She wasnt wantin 2 start until a couple months so i said ther would b a retainer fee as im quite new to this i said it would be my usual fee for that period she phoned back and said she wanted to go ahead with things but questioned the retainer fee so i did a bit more research by lookin at the forums on this and rethought my fee for this period and put it 2 her as 50% after this she got bk in contact n said she was going to choose a diffrent option which i am soo gutted about. i dont know if i over stepped the mark with my fees, it would have been quite expensive as she was looking for full time mon-fri care, any suggestions pls help?!?!

mum2two
05-03-2008, 09:05 PM
In your situation, I would have charged a deposit. I charge a non-refundable £50 deposit if the space isn't needed within 4 weeks. Once they start the £50 is deducted off the first invoice, but not if they don't use the space.

I would only charge a retainer if say it was a term time only contract, and would charge 50% retainer fees during the hols to keep the space open.

It's such a big learning journey!! You learn from every family you meet & take on...

Hope you get lots more calls soon.

Kelly x

miffy
05-03-2008, 09:10 PM
She may have found someone who had a vacancy coming up in two months time and so she wouldn't have had to pay a retainer or a deposit.

Miffy xx

mum2two
05-03-2008, 09:30 PM
She may have found someone who had a vacancy coming up in two months time and so she wouldn't have had to pay a retainer or a deposit.

Miffy xx

But I haven't got a space until Sept, and a lady called for care from July. When she came out, she agreed to juggle things til Sept, and has paid me a £50 deposit so I don't give the space to anyone else from Sept.

I thought that's what a deposit was. A deposit for a space that was coming available, as apposed to a space that's available now they they don't want.... Arrrgggghhh it's all so confusing.... :panic: Well, she paid me the £50 deposit, and I'm full now for 2 yrs (obviously unless anyone leaves!!!) But then I know we all do things our own ways, and all find ways they work for us, and that we're comfortable with - just as you will.

Kelly x

Auntie charlotte
05-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeh i can see the point with having retainer for hols, but as im pretty new to it i only hav 1 other child comin starting in nxt couple weeks for only 1 day a week so if i kept that space open and only took a small deposit i would of been losing out on a lot of money i could hav had if the space had been taken up by someone wanting to start sooner.
Its a hard subject to talk about and pretty damn confusing!:angry:

button68
05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Ok Auntie C I think I have just had a similar situation (and I am very newly registered but take LOADS of top advice from this forum)

I had parents come to see me wanting an June start (I have space available now) What I said was 1 months deposit to hold the place until June. Of course this deposit would cover June's fees, however, if they decided not to take up the place in June then they would lose the deposit.

The mum said this seemed very fair and have gone ahead on this basis.

hth

Auntie charlotte
06-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Having read all this gr8 advice iv rethought my charges and i can c now it probably was a bit steep 2 ask for that and in the future i think i will ask for half a months payment and then that will come off there first bill. Thanx all 4 the gr8 advise

Tatia
06-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Is it too late to get back in touch and tell the parent you've had a rethink? If she liked you best in the first place, maybe she'll be happy to come back to you.

LittleMissSparkles
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I have a place secured for a child for september and have charged them 50% of what there monthly fees will be for each month I am holding the place for ( altogether £600 ) as I am not prepared to rish losing money if someone wanted it next week iyswim, I will not hold a place for that long for say £50 as the parents may decide after say 5 months they are prepared to lose the £50 and not take the place up in which time I potentially have lost alot of wages. I know alotof you do things very differently but that how I run my business, sorry if you think thats a bit much.

I charge 50% retainer of what fee;s will be to secure a place short/long term regardless and none refundable

and 1 month in advance on first day of care to come of their fees in termination time iyswim xxx

miffy
06-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I have a place secured for a child for september and have charged them 50% of what there monthly fees will be for each month I am holding the place for ( altogether £600 ) as I am not prepared to rish losing money if someone wanted it next week iyswim, I will not hold a place for that long for say £50 as the parents may decide after say 5 months they are prepared to lose the £50 and not take the place up in which time I potentially have lost alot of wages. I know alotof you do things very differently but that how I run my business, sorry if you think thats a bit much.

I charge 50% retainer of what fee;s will be to secure a place short/long term regardless and none refundable

and 1 month in advance on first day of care to come of their fees in termination time iyswim xxx

That is all very good business sense Susan and if parents are happy with that fine after all it is what nurseries do

There are some parents who will risk you still having a place when they want it but that doesn't mean you have to save one for them

Miffy xx

Auntie charlotte
08-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Thats exactly wat my thinkin was susan, but i got stung and i dont know wat 2 do now i thot exactly wat u r sayin if i only charged £50 for keepin a space open for 2 months and somebody came along and wanted 2 start asap i would of lost a lot of money, i really dont know wat 2 do 4 the best now! Thanx xx

Auntie charlotte
08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Hmmm i dont know if i could get bk in touch she did also say she was a bit concerned about the lack of backup and iv got another childminder 2 b my emergency and holiday cover if she has enough space but im a bit scared 2 incase i get shot down again probs just best 2 admit defeat. Thanx xx

miffy
08-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Wait and see what happens - she may come back to you

Miffy xx

Schnakes
09-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Hi Auntie Charlotte - I had one like this recently (see my thread Advice re: a tricky situation) and Im really annoyed because I said to the woman in the end that I would mind the baby every other week but would continue to advertise the space. She hasnt even bothred to get to me to say "no thanks". I think it really takes the biscuit that this woman obviously expected me to trust her, a complete stranger, not to :censored: me over come October, AND go for 7 months with no wages on her say so.

Chin up - something better is always round the corner. :)

Sx

Auntie charlotte
11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Wel that aint nice of her not 2 let u know i sometimes feel that ppl just think ur there just 2 suit them that u dont have other ppl to worry bout or look after, i hope ther is something better round the corner as iv been registered a while now and only got 1 child who is starting next wk and only with me till summer (her mum is a teacher) im goin 2 advertise more and keep my fingers crossed.

Schnakes
11-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Well, AuntieC, I had a phone call for someone who wants that space today, but for two kiddies (one is over 5) so it looks like fate works in mysterious ways! :)

How long have you been registered?

Sx

Auntie charlotte
12-03-2008, 02:21 PM
O thats gr8 :clapping: i know it does.
Iv been registered since the 8th of Feb xx

Schnakes
12-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Not that long then! :) It took me five months to fill my books when I first started....it wont be long till you are wishing for the slow pace you have today! :thumbsup:

Sx

Auntie charlotte
15-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Mayb but where i am there is only the state nursery no private nurseries so childminders r well sought after just thot id b in demand, but i think it will take time for ppl to know im here lol, thanx 4 all the help x

miss muffit
15-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi auntie c about filling your spaces is there a childminding group you could pop in and introduce yourself? they might be able to help with passing your name on when they get the phone calls thats going around (if any) or do you have a toddlers group near by as they might have a notice board for you to advertise on.
As for the retainer fees i only charge a small fee that is none refundable..
good luck K:)