PDA

View Full Version : mindee has chickenpox!!! HELP PLEASE

Blackhorse
09-12-2009, 07:49 AM
she has been in contact with all other mindees and my dd for the last 2 days....

have only her and her brother today so not sure what to do???

one way it is good if you get chickenpox as a child and not as an adult...at the same time you dont want to get your child to be sick....on the other hand they already were in contact with each other 10hours a day!!!

WHAT DO I DO????

youarewhatyoueat
09-12-2009, 08:14 AM
My policy is that I don't take children with chicken pox, I think the current advice is to accept after 5 days if the child is feeling well, apparently you can accept before the scabs all crust over if the child is well but I prefer not to.
My main reason for not accepting is it means you have to stay at home as you can't go to toddler groups etc in case you come into contact with pregnant mums or anyone with a compromised immune system.
Personally I wouldn't accept but it depends what your policy is and it would mean exposing people just in time for xmas!!
It doesn't necessarily mean your child will get it, my youngest is 4 and he still hasn't had it.

christine e
09-12-2009, 08:17 AM
You could have a word with the parents of the other children and see how they feel about it. If anyone is not happy then you will have to say that the child with chicken pox cannot attend. Whilst most children don't suffer too much with chicken pox some do suffer badly.

Christine

PixiePetal
09-12-2009, 08:29 AM
I don't take chicken pox children. My kids had it when they were young but I haven't. At 44 I hope I don't! :eek:

Every child I have looked after in 27 years as a nanny and CM have had it so hope I am just immune :) Just don't want the risk if I don't have to.

Pipsqueak
09-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Your kids and others in the setting have already been in contact with the child. BUT I only would take a child with CP if they are well enough to be with me and I have no plans to be out and about. The advice is normally around 5 days or till the last spot has crusted over.

tell mum to use aqueous calamine on the spots to reduce itching not the normal calamine.:thumbsup:

Mouse
09-12-2009, 09:25 AM
My policy is that a child with chicken pox needs to have a couple of days off, but can then come back if a) they are well in themselves b) we'll be able to stay at home until they've scabbed over and c) if all other parents are happy to have them here.

If the child is unwell, if we're going to have to go out or if other parents don't want their child in contact with chicken pox, then the child with cp has to stay away.

To be honest, I've never yet had a parents say they don't want a cp child here as the chances are their child has already been in contact with it anyway.

LOOPYLISA
09-12-2009, 09:34 AM
You could have a word with the parents of the other children and see how they feel about it. If anyone is not happy then you will have to say that the child with chicken pox cannot attend. Whilst most children don't suffer too much with chicken pox some do suffer badly.

Christine

Some children suffer really badly i agree, i caught them at 15, it was awful, they were everywhere :eek:

So on that note you prob are better getting them when you are young x

LittleAcorns
09-12-2009, 09:40 AM
I had quite a bad time with chicken pox as I was 25, so it is better to get it as a child and I was quite pleased when my dd (31/2 at the time) caught it as it was out of the way for her

HOWEVER when my youngest caught it at 18 months she was fine and didnt suffer at all but a week later became ill with a cold and ended up in Intensive Care on a ventilator , not directly related to the CP but because she was young her body couldnt handle the double blow (sorry if I startle anyone with this info as Im sure it was just circumstances)

So Im of the opinion now, if a child gets it then its definately better than getting it as an adult but I wouldn't go out of my way to allow a child to be in contact after how poorly Amber was.

Im sure Amber was quite an issolated incident but Id sooner be aware of how ill a child could be

hope the littlies you look after fighting fit soon xx

solly
09-12-2009, 10:08 AM
I only accept children with chicken pox when the spots have scabbed over, My daughter is 17 and still hasn't had it even though my boys have and i have had lots of children in my care over the years with it. I spoke to the doctor years ago about it and she she said she was more likely to be the carrier so will possibly never show signs of getting it. The children in your care who have been in contact with her have probably got it as you are infectious before the spots appear.

Blackhorse
09-12-2009, 10:12 AM
I spoke to all the parents...some kids already had CP so no problem there.

my dd hasnt had them but was in close contact with the mindee for the last couple of days anyways...and I kind of want her to get them and get it over with...it is better to have them young I think...even though of course you never want you child to be sick....and anyways there is no guarantee she will catch it....

one mindees mum wont mind her LO getting it but doenst want him in contact with sick mindee...so when he is here the CP mindee will be off...if that makes sense..

she is here now to give mum a chance to get sorted and make an appointment at GP...as I have no other mindees today anyways (well Mindees brother....but as from same family it really doesnt matter..)

Alibali
09-12-2009, 01:47 PM
All 3 of my mindees had them at the same time so I accepted them all, it was summer hols so no toddlers etc on. However if one set of parents had a concern I wouldn't accept the child with cp. I hope your dd is not ill over Christmas!

People used to have 'chickenpox parties' and they would all go visit the sick child in the hope the others would get it over and done with:)

Your only concern is them coming into contact with women in late pregnancy.

carebear25
09-12-2009, 03:33 PM
My mindees mum has just rung 2 say mindees younger sister has been sent home from nursery with chicken pox so she will pick mindee up aswell. Not sure what to do now as my son an other mindee were at party with them on sunday dont mind if my son gets CP then its out of way an im pretty sure other mindees mum feels the same, but Im pregnant do I need to be carefull.

Blackhorse
09-12-2009, 03:50 PM
one of the nursery staff at mindees nursery is pregnant...but the said she is past the critical stage for it..she is 4 months...
I always thought it was late pregnancy you have to watch out for

TheBTeam
09-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Think it is both early and late pregnancy, my son had a very mild dose when i was 8 months pregnant with my dd, i had to be tested to be sure that i was immune.

My dd has been in contact with a huge number of children from family and minded children in the couple of days before chicken pox came out and apparently they are contagious then, but she has not had it yet, she is now 7.5, and has not caught it from any of the kids she has been near.

I do not agree with knowingly trying to get her to contract it, because i could never forgive myself if she were to catch it and it turn serious, but i would prefer her to get it out the way as a child.

Trouble
09-12-2009, 07:28 PM
ive had it twice once as a baby and once at 21 NOT GOOD

i would send them away:thumbsup:

bibi571
09-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I think if you have to go on a school run then i'd also send them away as you don't know the people at school who may have a compromised immune system. One of my mindees who was in contact with CP last year got really upset that her son might catch it - he later did go on to develop it (a few weeks later). As her grandad was suffering from an illness that meant if he caught any illness at all her could potentially die from it.

It's a consequence we don't always think of when we just pick up from school with a sick child in a buggy. People don't always look susceptible.

Years ago i accepted a child on his first week with CP and we all stayed in, but since i've always sent them away.

I've seen all sorts of variations of the illness to 4 spots in total to over 5000 spots. It can be absolutely horrific.

B x :littleangel:

carebear25
09-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Mum has just txt to say mindee ok at moment, im sure il b ok im 20wks on friday. An ds was with both mindee an sister on sunday so a chance he could get it. Do I offer to have sister for remainder of week Il be in my numbers or do u think i need my head lookin at??

Blackhorse
09-12-2009, 08:14 PM
I think if you have to go on a school run then i'd also send them away as you don't know the people at school who may have a compromised immune system. One of my mindees who was in contact with CP last year got really upset that her son might catch it - he later did go on to develop it (a few weeks later). As her grandad was suffering from an illness that meant if he caught any illness at all her could potentially die from it.

It's a consequence we don't always think of when we just pick up from school with a sick child in a buggy. People don't always look susceptible.

Years ago i accepted a child on his first week with CP and we all stayed in, but since i've always sent them away.

I've seen all sorts of variations of the illness to 4 spots in total to over 5000 spots. It can be absolutely horrific.

B x :littleangel:

I see what you are saying and I did think of that too...but then what do parents do that have more than one child? they will still send the second child to school and have to bring the other one along....saying that at school mindee doesnt get out of car as other mindee comes straight to the gate where I park...so wont be in contact with anyone eles..

the nursery where mindee has picked up CP said a lot of kids had it and all quite mild. I know this can vary from child to child...but all in all I still think I'd rather dd gets it and has ot over and done with....

carebear25
09-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Mum has just txt to say mindee ok at moment, im sure il b ok im 20wks on friday. An ds was with both mindee an sister on sunday so a chance he could get it. Do I offer to have sister for remainder of week Il be in my numbers or do u think i need my head lookin at??

Decided not to offer to have sister as ds at nursery 2moro so wud mean havin 2 ask sum1 2 take him. Plus I stil have to pick mindee up from school which means takin her with me and like u say sum parents may not like this.

nikim
11-12-2009, 03:49 PM
My mindees mum has just rung 2 say mindees younger sister has been sent home from nursery with chicken pox so she will pick mindee up aswell. Not sure what to do now as my son an other mindee were at party with them on sunday dont mind if my son gets CP then its out of way an im pretty sure other mindees mum feels the same, but Im pregnant do I need to be carefull.

my eldest had chicken pox when i was heavily pregnant around 37 weeks i think , its only a prob if you havent had chicken pox yourself, because if you get it in late pregnancy the baby can be born with it , apart from the fact that it will be very incomfortable :panic: if your worried speak to your gp or midwife, if you've had cp then there is no need to worry :)