PDA

View Full Version : 2 under 1?

namtasha
05-03-2008, 07:32 PM
hi all got a baby settling in at the mo 6 months. mon to fri half 8 till half 3 perfect, had an enquiry today for a 9 month for 4 days same hours as my other baby does. tempted to apply for a variation my son is 18 months so would have 3 undder 2 but then i wouldnt have to have any after schoolers and my day would be over at half 3 . . . . .
do u think ofsted will okit?

Clever Clogs
05-03-2008, 07:38 PM
HI there

I'm new to all this so not sure about Ofsted and getting a variation. It sounds quite good though that your day would finish at that time and no need to take in after schoolers. If the babies are with you for years to come then it would be good for them growing up and playing together I would imagine. Sounds like really hard work though, I have an 8 month old and am taking on a wee boy 2 months older in May when he turns 1 (my son will be 10 months then). People keep telling me it's going to be hard dealing with two babies but to be honest I think it might help in a way too cause at least they would have each other. my only real concern is getting out and about. I have a double buggy etc but it's getting them in and out car to pick up from school or go to toddlers etc and you need to park the buggy and cart them both in. Sorry rambling . . . Hope you get it though and good luck.

Tracey

namtasha
05-03-2008, 07:42 PM
yeah my concern was going out , got a double buggy and my 18 month old son uses a buggy bpoard ! or could get him a buggy pod thing .......
i dont know though, but i think one baby or two not that much more work.....
also better to have 3 close in age than one baby and one 3 at least all actii=vities will be relevant

Clever Clogs
05-03-2008, 07:44 PM
That's true - at least they should all like doing the same thing. At the moment I have my daughter - 6, son - 8 mths a boy 6 and girl 12 after school on a Tues and the only one who wants to do anything crafty or anything is my daughter (which never changes cuase she wants to do something every day.

Tracey

namtasha
05-03-2008, 07:48 PM
my daughter is 5 and she is a craft bug too loves it!
yeah think i will ask would be hard for a few months but not as hard as 2 8 year old in summer hols moaning their bored!!

twise
05-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi

I got a variation for a 6 week old and a 4 month old. I also have a 3 year old and a six year old after school as well as my two kids 13 and 9...have to say it is really hard work...fun...but hard.

I had to get two buggies. two cots, two chairs etc....when the little ones want a cuddle that is a problem!...I invested in a 15 min sand timer for the older ones to get an idea of waiting time before we do anything.

If you get it...good luck to you I have found it really rewarding and have found I haven't slept so well in years!:)

Tracy

Clever Clogs
05-03-2008, 07:53 PM
You're as well asking anyway. Hopefully they'll approve it.

Tracey

sarah707
05-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Ofsted usually only grant variations for continuation of care... I suggest you write to them asap if the mum wants you to start soon, just in case you are letting her down.

Tbh, having done something similar to this years ago, I wouldn't do it again... too much like hard work! :eek:

namtasha
05-03-2008, 07:55 PM
hum ........
decisions decisions. mum isnt back to work till april does flexi time so i would only have to do one way school run with all of them so think it would be ok . what id pushing me to say yes is every one going at half 3 and having evening with my own and no mindees when partner gets in

Lou
05-03-2008, 07:57 PM
I think it sounds ideal, id give my righ arm to finish at that time every day!!

I think one or 2 babies makes no odds, no harder work to have another one and i would love to have them of similar ages.

Go for it, just have to be clever about they way you ask for the variation!!!!

Tily Bud
05-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Apart from it being hard work im sure it would be lovely to have them all similar age x

Im sure that you can apply for this variation for any babies not just continuation of care, check with ofsted x

Annie_T
05-03-2008, 08:39 PM
good to see you getting enquires hun.. people must liek sound of you :)

id get a variation as i not to sure myself all i know is the basic they tell ya lol

miffy
05-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Sounds hard work but great finishing times so if you want it go for it - not sure whether you'll get a variation or not I thought like Sarah that you need to show it's necessary for continuation of care

Miffy xx

berkschick
05-03-2008, 10:18 PM
OFSTED usually only agree to a variation for continuation of care or sibling care.

I have heard that you can ask for 2 under 1 variation for other reasons but make sure you ask them before you sign contracts as they might say no. Its a tricky one because your son is only 18 months.

Also apply ASAP as it can take them up to 12 weeks to look into it.

It is very hard work, trust me!

I have 2 x 18 month and a 1 year old 2 days a week and on another day have 22 month old twins and my 18 month old! You do not get to sit down at all or eat lunch! And I have had to get a triple buggy which actually isnt too bad, just very wide and I get lots of comments about it.

Trouble
05-03-2008, 10:39 PM
im about to undertake 2 under one i thought it would be a breeze but i think i was kidding myself!!!!!!!!!!

namtasha
06-03-2008, 01:09 PM
mum has just come to visit and son is so loverly 8 months old she wants 4 days half 9 to half 3 so dont even have to take him on the school run.
written my variation letter and have spoken to the college and i am getting a nursery nurse student one week with me one week at college from aprl till july ! so that will help...

do i need to tell my othere mums if i take on another baby? she will never see him as her son is dropped off frist and picked up after. i am afraid she will moan :(

aslo mum said today if ofsted say no she wont go back to work till he is one so i can have him as she really wants me! hows that for an ego boost!

deeb66
09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Good news that mum definately wants you to look after her LO.

Good luck with the variation request....hopefully Ofsted will get back to you soon.

If Ofsted agree I would tell the other mum as I feel that the parents have a right to know about the other children in the house....that is not to say that she has a right to influence your decision but she should really be told.

I once looked after a 6 month old a 7 month old and my son was nearly 2.........I have to be honest that it was extremely hard work and I promised myself that I would never do that to myself again!