PDA

View Full Version : two hours is it worth it????????

mamasheshe
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
hello
I'm pre reg but had a friend of a friend ask me if once i was registered i'd have her two girls, one whose two she needs minding 8-12.30, the other pick up from nursery (shes three)and have until 11- 12.30 i said i didn't think it would be a problem and i'd keep her updated on my registration process. but i've thought about it and that means i'm full capacity all mornings nobodys going to want care 8-11 (i have a two year old at home) i'm think I'm going to say no because the three year old takes up a space for the sake of two hours but i'm worried that i'm not even registered and i'm already turning away work what if nothing better comes along am i being greedy? any advice

mama2three
08-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Its difficult isnt it? my first enquiry was for a child 4 hours a day 3 days a week - so i had to decide if i wanted to take up one of my spaces for just 12 hours. I did , as i had no idea if i would get any other enquiries!
are you taking child 2 to nursery? if so then charge even whilst he / she is there. If not i would still charge a minimum fee or session charge rather than just 1 1/2 hours , its not worth your while otherwise.

mamasheshe
08-12-2009, 07:01 PM
no I'm not taking her to nursery. it also means i'd have to leave toddler groups early to go pick her up i just don't know.

mamasheshe
08-12-2009, 07:35 PM
should be one half hours is it worth it doh

mamasheshe
08-12-2009, 08:25 PM
well spoken to mum and explained my predicament. i said i'd be happy to do it but i would charge youngest 3.50 an hour and oldest 3.00 an hour both 8.00-12.30 she is really nice and said she understands but i'd be so perfect because I'm close to school and where she lives and the children would be together which nobody else can offer because they're all full. i feel so much better now i was so nervous.

mamasheshe
08-12-2009, 08:26 PM
thanks mama2three

Chell
08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
No advice but I hope it all works out for you. It is something I have been thinking about too as I was talking to another Mum at school who wants a few hours per week for her baby (under 1). In one way you want to take the work incase nobody else comes along but if you do take it then you can't take on other work.

sarah707
08-12-2009, 09:11 PM
It's ok if it fits in without you losing other contracts...

It's a bit of extra money in your pocket...

It's a pain as far as paperwork goes because you still need to show compliance with the Eyfs for just a few hours... including contracts, permission forms etc and it might also include working with other settings, even for a really part time child...

it's good to get you out there and advertising when you are starting off especially if the times fit with toddler groups etc...

it's not always good for the child who doesn't get to know you very well in just a few hours, then it's a long time before he sees you again..

It can be very disruptive if the child's routines do not fit in with school runs or other commitments...

Hth :D

Cazz
09-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Have you looked into demand for childminders around you?

Don't know exactly where you are in Norwich but I have a friend living on the outskirts who took ages to find a childminder - she needs one from January for after school care. She wanted me to move closer as 3 other people she knows were looking for childminders at the same time!

I don't know if you've looked on childcare.co.uk but when I click on "my local parents" probably 95% of them are in Norwich!

Just thought I'd mention as if there's a shortage of childminders in your area then turning away this family wouldn't be a problem. If however, this is not the case where you live, I would take them on. It would be a good way to ease yourself into childminding.

I started off with 2 sisters for 2 days a week (baby all morning, picking up little girl from nursery). I'm glad I did as it gave me a chance to get my head round everything - well still working on that! I don't take the little girl to nursery - only collect but I charge half my normal hourly rate while she's there (only charging half the rate as I am looking after her sister - if it was just that child I would charge full rate!). Mum is happy to pay that to secure the place.

Let us know what you decide!

youarewhatyoueat
09-12-2009, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't want to be tied to that time of day doing a pick up, its not a great selling point that you can't stay at a toddler group and it also means youre home very early for lunch, makes for a long day.
In the summer it would mean very short outings. Is it every day, wouldn't be so bad for 2 days. You could explain to mum why its difficult for you, but I would accept and explain it may only be short term, don'ty get tied into a long contract. Is there a chance that the 3 year old could stay for lunch club, thats a very short session, perhaps you could offer to have the older child as well for 2 full days, or do a minimum charge of 4 hours a day thats what I do except for the after schoolies.
Always a difficult one, the first ones I had were awkward times but it was good experience.