PDA

View Full Version : No Santa!!!!

MissTinkerbell
08-12-2009, 05:56 PM
This is not really CM related but as it was a minded child and my own DD that were talking about it I suppose it is. I overheard a conversation today that they were having. M (my DD) said to B that it didn't matter if she was good or not because Santa wasn't real! Obviously I was shocked to hear this and asked DD were she'd heard this from.....

Wait for it..... her head teacher had told them all it in assembly. M is 6 and B is 4!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Obviously I reassured all that Santa/Father Christmas is real and that Mr L must have got all muddled (DD2 said that he was real because they had seen him Bumblebees last week).

When quizzing DD later she said that her teacher had said that Santa was based on the story of St Nicholas and that Santa in fact was not real.:angry:

I cannot believe that a primary school head has told this story and NOT explained it properly to a school full of children aged 4-11. Obviously I will be writing a letter of complaint and sending it to the chair of Governor's but would this be an Ofsted issue too? Whilst its not an issue about the teaching or learning it is surely a welfare issue under EYFS???

I am so mad that this has happened - just hope that in my 6 year olds eyes I have managed to undo the damage that has been done and that she still believes.

mum2two
08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I would be livid!! :angry: How can the headteacher say that. All those poor children. I;m sure you won't be the only one writing a letter of complaint!!

xx

nannymcflea
08-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Blooming eck, I'd be hopping.:angry: I'd be in there first thing telling them just what he should be doing to fix his mistake. How dare he.:panic:

flora
08-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I know we bring our kids up too quickly these days but fro goodness sake where is the innocence of childhood?????? :angry: :angry:

I would be soooooo cross if this happened to me an dmy kids.

Kick up a stink, we will back you up. I think this is bang out of order :angry:

wendywu
08-12-2009, 06:20 PM
I would insist that the teacher tells them all that she made a very large mistake, and make sure she does it super quick. :censored: :censored:

Hebs
08-12-2009, 06:25 PM
she wants to be VERY careful as a headteacher was sacked last year for saying the EXACT same thing :thumbsup:

The Juggler
08-12-2009, 06:40 PM
That's awful. It's not for them to decide that. If she is telling them because she has strict beliefs, then what if another head tells kids God/Jesus isn't real, or that Hindu gods are all made up... where would it end.

Woman should be severely reprimanded.:angry:

Hebs
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
here is the story

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2113414.html?menu=

sarah707
08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
I would have been furious if someone had said that to my children :(

MissTinkerbell
08-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Hebs - thanks for that - I've shared it with the other parents via facebook!

Hebs
08-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Hebs - thanks for that - I've shared it with the other parents via facebook!

:D you're welcome

I wouldn't be hitting the roof i'd be hitting her :angry: fancy say that SO close to christmas too :angry:

venus89
08-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Wow..... what a cruel and silly thing to say to a load of kids :(

Princess Sara
08-12-2009, 07:28 PM
My ds1 aged 5 knows the truth about Santa, but he is so good with other children. He would never tell them Santa didn't exist as he knows it makes others happy to have that belief. If my 5yo can manage that then surely a primary school head can too!!!

nikim
08-12-2009, 08:38 PM
My ds1 aged 5 knows the truth about Santa, but he is so good with other children. He would never tell them Santa didn't exist as he knows it makes others happy to have that belief. If my 5yo can manage that then surely a primary school head can too!!!

gosh thats quite young to not beleive or maybe its a cultural thing sorry :o my son kept the beleif thing going untill last year he never let on that he didnt beleive untill then and he was 15 !!!, it got to the stage where me and my husband kept saying to each other "you tell him" "no you":laughing:
hes the eldest of 3 and kept going for the sake of his younger brother and sister :littleangel:

Blackhorse
08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
oh for crying out loud.....

so what if santa is based on st nicholas...???? stupid woman

I myself didnt (due to culture) grow up believing in santa but in christkind.

All my mindees believe in santa and that is great. I love it that way... in fact some know about christkind (as they too grew up in austria) but I said that Santa and christkind share their workload......and that was fine with them

how aweful of that woman to tell them he doesnt exist...I mean why on earth would anyone do that?? that is just being plain mean.
Even if she herself has other views...she has no right to do this....

as the Juggler said..where would it end...

I would be so furious about this and complain to the heavens about this...outrageous...poor little children

she should appologise and say she was wrong.....
why does she even work with children??????????????????????????

emmadines
09-12-2009, 08:02 AM
what a horrid thing to say to the kids, talk about killing the magic for the children, i believe that st nick was based on a real person? so in theroy santa "was real" just just more in spirit these days rather then reality but either way - its not the indervidual parent to decided weather their children are told the truth about him or not, not the flippin teacher or a vicar as it was a couple off weeks ago in another school!!

Pipsqueak
09-12-2009, 08:09 AM
I would be furious if someone told my youngsters that.
It is NOT the schools place to be teling the LO's - fair enough teach about teh spirit of Christmas.

I can imagine you will not be the only one to complain and yes I would want the teacher and the headteacher to be making an assembly saying they have been mistaken - parents present. How on earth can you trust what these people are telling your kids from now on:eek: Sadly for many though the damage will have been done as there will have been parents who had to face very awkward questions.
Oh that makes me mad:angry: .

I think schools are forgetting the pastoral duty of care to children, and this is their first and foremost role. They are standing in for the parents during that time we send them to school.

ooooooh can I come into school with you, I am so cross about that:angry:

Lady Haha
09-12-2009, 12:06 PM
It's all been said already, but I just had to leave my bit too!!! I am livid that this happened!!! What a stupid, ignorant and CRUEL thing to do!!! I am 40 and I can still remember what it felt like to believe in Santa, it was pure magic! I remember laying in bed with my eyes tight shut and thinking I had heard him come into my room to leave my stocking....I remember like it was yesterday and it's such a special memory for me!!!

My son is seven (my mindees are all between 4 and 8) and they all believe in Santa. One kids in my son's class told him and a couple of my mindees that Father Christmas isn't real, it's your dad dressed up! They told me about it and they all think this kid is talking absolute nonsense!!! Funny really, cos he is right to a certain extent but no one believes him!!!

Anyway, have you spoken to other parents at the school to see how far this has gone? You should all get to gether and complain!

Bitsy Beans
09-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Well I believe in Santa so he must be real ;)

PixiePetal
09-12-2009, 03:26 PM
I told my DD when she was 6 and 1/2, she kept the secret really well from little brother and enjoyed being in the know :)

It was MY choice to tell her then - no one elses, well a family decision anyway :laughing: . She was very mature and never told a mindee either - she just winked at me every now and then when they were talking about father christmas. This may seem young to some but it was right for her and us at the time.

DS was nearly 8 when we told him.

cabby
09-12-2009, 03:56 PM
WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERES NO SANTA!!!:crying: :crying: :crying:

seriously though i would be livid:angry: :angry:

Heaven Scent
09-12-2009, 04:31 PM
WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERES NO SANTA!!!:crying: :crying: :crying:

seriously though i would be livid:angry: :angry:

Oh yes there is so.