PDA

View Full Version : WHISTLEBLOWER

tomthumb
05-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Hello, I don't know if you know but tonight whistleblower is going undercover in childcare sector. It is bound to be really interesting...It is on BBC1 at 20:00.
Just thought some of you might be interested

sarah707
05-03-2008, 07:34 PM
I hardly ever watch tv, but I am tonight! :D

mjw
05-03-2008, 07:44 PM
From write ups in the paper I think it will reinforce the view that childminders are the best form of early childcare :littleangel:

Clever Clogs
05-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Think I will watch this too. Just persuading daughter to hurry up and get into bed.

Tracey

emmadines
05-03-2008, 09:02 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7278514.stm

OMG this dosnt look good for anyone!

Annie_T
05-03-2008, 09:03 PM
i missed most of it but from what i saw i was shocked, and how can that manager try covering it up huh ... poor kids

nell57
05-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Think I'm still in shock, the problem is those who offer high standard of care are going to suffer the back lash

Helen

Sarsar3NCH
05-03-2008, 09:15 PM
There seems to be 2 threads going about this, sorry I have been posting on the other one

Sarah

yummymummy_2006
05-03-2008, 09:19 PM
I've just watched it and am not at all shocked by what I saw. I finished my BTec National diploma in childcare about 3 years ago and went on many different placements on which was at a local nursery, I witnessed children being force fed food, their faces wiped with the same cloth, was allowed to take one child to the toilet because other staff couldn't be bothered, babies left in soiled nappies because they "weren't due a change" amongst other things that I didn't agree with. I did tell my college tutor and head of social care department and told them that I didn't agree with what was happening and I never turned up to the nursery again but this caused me to miss out on my college work and I lost out on grades because of it.
I would never dream of putting my daughter in a Nursery because of the first hand experience I have had and is one of the reasons I decided to become a childminder as me and my partner would love to buy a house and build a better future for our family which isn't possible without me working. It is a vicious circle for working parents and I intend to take my position as a childminder seriously as all of you do.
The government give parents a push and influence them to be working parents but are they actaully doing enough to ensure the safety and well-being of children. I don't think the nurseries shown on the BBC are isolated cases - I just don't see how they are allowed to stay open!

xxx

Tily Bud
05-03-2008, 09:20 PM
just watched it , no suprises where nurseries are concerned !!!

emmadines
05-03-2008, 09:55 PM
it scared me!

im scared enough about starting!
am i going to be good at this........... pref better!
what will happen!
what to do!
where to get help.

ive been to my DHC1 course I listened, written it all up, done my 1st aid etc etc!
Im a mother of 2 and wouldnt let anything harm mine or other peoples kids, so it cant be any harder then that.................... can it?
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

John
05-03-2008, 09:57 PM
It was the same for me in the nursery and pre-school i worked for a short time, seeing kids crying no atention doing what ever no trained staff around, Students looking after the children no knowing what they were doing. When i became Qualified i was working on my own endless with 15 and more children most days. So i got out of that setting to work in another nusery it was better but students were teaching rather than the trained staff. and students unsupervised taking children to the toilet and playing alone just with a unquified worker. So i got out of it as i couldn't see this happen it was upseting me and thinking one day a child will be hart bad.

So here i am a cool childminder working more perfesanal than most nurserys and people and parents know this in what i do for there children. I think if the money was there to put in to these settings and cut down in getting unquified people we will be getting there. In child care it is to care for the child but the gov and others it's care for are pockets cash more cash so how can these settings take care for children when they haven't the cash or to gredy to part with it.

I might be ranting on but i talk my mind.

John.

sarah707
05-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Emma - we all try our best. Those nursery workers clearly weren't ... that's the major difference here.

John - I totally agree... you rant away! :D

emmadines
05-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Emma - we all try our best. Those nursery workers clearly weren't ... that's the major difference here.

John - I totally agree... you rant away! :D

im just glad ive not put my kids in full time nursary care! its ppl like that that give ppl like us a really bad mark

peggy
05-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Well, they have highlighted an issue that it is "easy" to become a registered childminder.......which i totally disagree. But they did highlight that some nurseries are just money making machines employing whoever without checks....I think it did highlight that at least with us childminders we are solely responsible for the overall running of our business, the care we provide, the health and safety of the child etc....well if my phone aint ringing of the hook tomorrow I'll be gobsmacked!!

Intrestingly enough I wanted to have a look at a Ofsted report tonight just after the programme and I just couldnt get on to the site, probably all these worried parents checking their nuseries etc out!!

tulip0803
05-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Easy to become a childminder?

I am an experienced, qualified registered childminder who moved from England to Wales. I have the CCP, I have first Aid, I have food hygiene, I have attended child protection training, I am studying for a level 4 Early years qualification, I have 3 CRB checks within last 3 months. I still had to attend a briefing session in October, a training session in November before I could even fill an application form in. With the application I had to submit all my policies, menus, activities, plans, risk assesments, multi-cultural resource lists, Fire evacuation plan. Have the fire brigade out have my boiler serviced, fill in a medical form for my husband and me. I know things are happening cos my referees got their forms (not just asked for reference, nearly as long as my application form) and returned them in Jan. The doctor's surgery phoned to confirm it was Ok to send the medical forms back to CSSIW. But I will not be inspected until every single reference, form etc is back. It is now March, 5 months after original enquiry and I am still not minding.:(

emmadines
06-03-2008, 07:40 AM

I am an experienced, qualified registered childminder who moved from England to Wales. I have the CCP, I have first Aid, I have food hygiene, I have attended child protection training, I am studying for a level 4 Early years qualification, I have 3 CRB checks within last 3 months. I still had to attend a briefing session in October, a training session in November before I could even fill an application form in. With the application I had to submit all my policies, menus, activities, plans, risk assesments, multi-cultural resource lists, Fire evacuation plan. Have the fire brigade out have my boiler serviced, fill in a medical form for my husband and me. I know things are happening cos my referees got their forms (not just asked for reference, nearly as long as my application form) and returned them in Jan. The doctor's surgery phoned to confirm it was Ok to send the medical forms back to CSSIW. But I will not be inspected until every single reference, form etc is back. It is now March, 5 months after original enquiry and I am still not minding.:(

same here! although I know its different in wales!

Ive attendedthe dhc1,1st aid, ive done food hygiene
although its prob due for renrwal! (used to work in health care) i plan to do other courses when they come up. all my references have been checked and returned. my crb is in process:mad: (wish it would hurry up).
ive had my ofsted check and now all i got to do is wait! i did my course innovember and submitted my form in jan!

so i think all the right things are there!

Tatia
06-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Tulip, you've highlighted my whole point on the reporting about chldminders, We do all of that but she never once mentioned any of it. She made it sound like she rang OFSTED and they ran around to her house and signed her up. There was no mentioned whatsoever of the checks she would have had to have undergone first (enhnced CRB for her and regular ones for everyone esle over 16 in house, medical checks, references...). Yet she shouted from the rooftops the fact that none of the nurseries CBRBd her. Shallow, shabby, biased reporting. In the case of childminders, anyway.

The nursery stuff was appalling, though. The video evidenc she had was really disgusting. Someone on the other thread in the lounge did point out that she never mentioned how many nurseries turned her away (which would show that perhaps the majority do kep best practice in mind).

Mollymop
06-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I didn't like the way the programme protrayed that childminders can become registered at the drop of a hat and is very easy to do, etc.
I first started all my courses in October (took from June to get on these courses) and I am still not registered (awaiting CRB checks) We have to put a lot of hard work and worry into becoming childminders so I was a bit mad with the programme for portraying us that way.

mamapink
06-03-2008, 12:27 PM
i do feel sorry for parents who watched that last night and then had to take their children to nurseries in the morning

i agree with the childminding reg not being that easy what about pre reg meetings you have to attend first this is where i was given crb forms and a copy of the standards etc

bye pink

emmadines
06-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Ive put a link to a post for those who missed it

Emma

allinatiz
06-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I missed the bit about the childminders, forgot it was on, but sadly wasn't really surprised at some of the things going on in nurseries. I do think it was a shame they didn't air a more balanced show and give even one example of a good nursery, but I guess that doesn't get ratings does it?

deb24
06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I wasn't very shocked by what goes on in nurseries. I didn't like the fact that they thought it was easy to become a childminder. I'm sure you will all agree it has taken a very long time to get registered and time and effort to get your business up and running. I hope this programme does not give childminders a bad name.

miss muffit
06-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi I will be watching this program tonight as i recorded it last night, have heard lots of stories about what went on sounds shocking :(

Splish Splosh
06-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Iagree with deb24 isnt easy to become a childminder. though i have worked in private nursery and nothing of what i saw last night shocked me at all. Ive seen worse!!!!!!

manjay
06-03-2008, 05:52 PM

My registration took 12 months. If I hadn't been so dedicated I would have given up and at no time was it an easy ride!!

amanda xx

John
06-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Well said to you all but not one childminder as mantion that they will be sending a letter to the BBC about this, that what i've done to day saying what childminders as to go throw. It's just looked like one big sett up as all the childminders across the U.K i have spoken too all have to put safty checks in place and do the training.

If more people (Childminders on here sent a letter in to the BBC they might apoligisted. Sorry for my spelling lol.

John Wright.