PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good cake makers on here???

OrlandoBelle
08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm going back about 8 years now, but when my DS was at nursery he came home with the most delicious christmas cake that he'd made... but like a large fairy cake/muffin. It wasn't hard in consistency like a normal christmas cake, but had raisins, spices etc and was delicious. I just wish I had gotten the recipe back then!!

Anyway, I was just thinking about them and would love to make them with mindees. I just wondered if anyone had a recipe for something similar. Would a normal muffin recipe work if i added mixed spice/cinnamon, raisins and sultanas and used brown sugar instead of caster sugar?

aly
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
i've made fairy cakes with mixedspice in them...a large one wouldnt be a problem.

we dont like traditional christmas cakes in this house so i do make a large sponge and put icing and deccies on them.

When you do the mix just add the items needed ie raisins etc.

beccas
08-12-2009, 12:32 PM
i make christmas cakes every year and i make at least 7!!! one for school and all my minded friends have 1 and then me. i even make the figures for the top will try to post pictures.

madasahatter
08-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Anyway, I was just thinking about them and would love to make them with mindees. I just wondered if anyone had a recipe for something similar. Would a normal muffin recipe work if i added mixed spice/cinnamon, raisins and sultanas and used brown sugar instead of caster sugar?

Give it a try. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work. I experiment all the time when cooking, substituting different things into recipes.

beccas
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
my son made small friut cakes at school he used mixed spice and orange juice and some dreid fruit as well as normail cake mix flour butter eggs sugar all my minded kids loved them..

grindal
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I would try a sponge recipe rather than a muffin recipe. Muffin mixes work well in little cup cases, but may not work as a big cake (I know my mindees mum tried to this recently and it was a disaster - but that could just be her). My fail proof sponge cake recipe is 4oz butter and sugar, 2 eggs and 4 oz self raising flour. You can add pretty much whatever else you want to it. I am making Christmas cakes with mindees on Friday - DS1 and 2 have been eating pasta shapes all week as we are gonna cook them in the little tins!

Blackhorse
08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
these look lovely:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2920/christmas-muffin-mix

even as a gift idea nice..or just bake them yourself!

Daddy Day Care
08-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I can make cakes here my daughers cake for her 2nd birthday

but havent really got a recipee for soemthing your after sorry.

Gareth
xx

beccas
08-12-2009, 02:06 PM
very good love the cake!!!

LittleMissSparkles
08-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Gareth
xx

wow Gareth thats fab xxx

Blackhorse
08-12-2009, 02:09 PM

Gareth
xx

that looks great!! Did you use fondant icing to do the outside of the castle??

ORKSIE
08-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Gareth, that is really cool. You clever old stick,You!:thumbsup:

OrlandoBelle
08-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Just did a trial run of muffins with mixed spice, currants and demerara sugar instead of caster sugar. They were OK.... but something seems to be missing. Not quite sweet enough maybe. I'll try it with brown sugar or caster sugar next time and put in some dried cranberries too I think.

Gareth I've seen your cakes before on Facebook. They're amazing! Where did you learn how to make them? Did you go on a course or something or just naturally talented?? LOL

Blackhorse
09-12-2009, 11:29 AM
that looks great!! Did you use fondant icing to do the outside of the castle??

DDC is avoiding to answer this one I think...:D

angeldelight
10-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Hope you are going to make our Christmas party cake on the 20th Gareth ?

Angel xx

miffy
10-12-2009, 08:15 AM
DDC is avoiding to answer this one I think...:D

I wonder why?

Miffy xx