PDA

View Full Version : How do I get her to play??

pinklady
07-12-2009, 09:20 AM
I have a 14month old mindee and I just can't get her to do messy play or play with anything other than books or bricks or my stairgate!

All the other children have decorated a paper christmas tree so I gave her hers to decorate this morning but she just pushes the crayons away. So I thought I'd give the play doh another try this morning but she's just staring at it! I don't think she's too young as my other mindee who is only 4 days younger has enjoyed both activities. I wouldn't even mind if she tried to eat it, or throw it on the floor but she just shows no interest.

I've tried incorporating some of the toys she does like into messy play but nothing works.

Help please!!! :panic:

mandy moo
07-12-2009, 09:33 AM
just a thought :idea: prehaps she does not have / hasnt done these things at home and needs to be shown how to play?

pinklady
07-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't think she has Mandy but but I spoke to her parents about it before they said they would do some craft activities with her. Not sure it's happened yet...but then they are freaked out by mess so it's no surprise really :rolleyes:

sweets
07-12-2009, 01:28 PM
maybe she just doesnt like it and i think you should respect that. i have a nearly 2 year old that wont do any mesyy play, he wont even put his hands in the sandpit! but enjoys useing a spoon and filling a bucket up.

this morning we made the handproint reindeers and i asked if he would llike to have a go, he said no so i just drew round his hands instead of using paint and he made his that way.

dont push it, just keep offering her things without pressure and one day she may just do it and join in but may just be happy to watch.

The Juggler
07-12-2009, 01:34 PM
you could try 'clean' messy play first maybe - water play with cups and blocks, or crayons and pencils which dont leave stuff on her hands?

If it's the sensation, maybe introduce squidy stuff into her block play like spongers, squishy blocks, things with water etc in side, those gloops filled shapes and numbers.

I wouldn't worry - lots of little ones don't enjoy it, block play is amazing for learning and investigating your stairs means she's getting exercise and probably practising all her physical skills!

Blackhorse
07-12-2009, 01:37 PM
I have a LO like this...he never had anything like this at home so didnt know what to do with it...now 3 months on it is better but still not as the others...

dont force it and as long as you offer it and try and include the LO to me that is all you can do. eventually LO will want to join in...

madasahatter
07-12-2009, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, some children are like that. As long as you continue to offer the messy activities to the other children one day she will come and join in. Obviously there is something about the toys and stairgate that she plays with currently that fascinates her. Could you tie some tinsel to the stairgate? Instead of feeling pressurised into getting her to make crafty gifts/decs for christmas, make up and laminate a photo story book of what she does

Pic
X likes to read books
Pic
X likes to eat breadsticks
Pic
X likes to play with bricks
Pic
X likes to rattle the stairgate

etc etc etc

Tink
07-12-2009, 01:48 PM
I had a 2 year old just like this, he only played with the cars. When i got the playdough out he just sat and looked at it. I later found out he had never played with anything other than cars, so it was a totally new experience for him. We took it gradually and over time he got used to it, he loves messy play now and he makes tracks with his cars.

I always try and put myself in the child's place, they have been left with you and your trying to get them to do something they can't or don't know how.

I was given some great advice by a friend which really made me think, so i'll share it with you.
Get a pen and paper and with the hand you do not usually write with write: My Childminder doesn't understand me. (backwards.)

Then see how you felt doing it and put yourself in the child's shoes that doesn't or can't play with something.:)
hope it helps, sorry for going on xx

pinklady
08-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I think it's just going to be something I have to work on over time. I'm certainly not the type of person that pushes a child to do something they aren't comfortable with I simply want every child to be given the best start in life.