PDA

View Full Version : Stairgates!

maisiemog
06-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Hey,

I'm just wondering, do I really have to have a stairgate at the top of the stairs??? We've got weird stairs and its almost impossible to make one safe at the top. If we put it so its secure its in the middle of the top step so you have to step over that step (and almost fall down in the process!!). If we put it so that you can get up the stairs safely then the stairgate isnt secure.

We've got one at the bottom of the stairs so nobody can get up there without me. Plus I only plan to take babies up for their naps and I would carry them up and down the stairs. This is what we do with our daughter. She only goes up for a bath and bed, or if we're up there we close the bedroom door.

Arghhh!!! What should I do???? I genuinely think that the stairgate is more of a risk than not having one. I've nearly fallen down the stairs 3 times and in the end I made my hubby take it down! Help please!!!! I dont want to break any rules but I like my bones being in one peice!!

candy cat
06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
If you don't use upstairs for childminding then I this is ok....as long as you have one at bottom .If you plan for babies to sleep I think you will have to have one. you can query this at inspection as long as you have it on your 'to do' list.cx

Bushpig
06-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I have stairgates at the top and bottom of the stairs as I use both floors for childminding... I am sure Offie would expect you have one at the top too... sorry, not much help! Awkward re the stairs though... sorry not much more help!

little miss chatterbox
06-12-2009, 09:11 PM
the only thing I would say about not having one is when the baby gets older they MAY climb out of the cot and if they can get the bedroom door open then they could potentially fall down the stairs.

I had this with an 18 month old, she clinbed out of the cot (on the lowest level) so i promptly put her in the travel cot to which she climbed out of as well. If I didn't have a gate she would have been down the stairs.

However, you could get round this by putting a gate on the bedroom doors. That way if they climb out they can't get out of the bedrooms.

Zoomie
06-12-2009, 09:12 PM
If you have one at the entranced to the bedroom mindee uses for naps, surely this will be okay ?

failing that, have you tried one of those flexible material type ones, that almost go around corners ?

Pudding Girl
06-12-2009, 09:13 PM
You've risk assessed it to be unsafe so you are covered :) put on at the bedroom door instead

miffy
06-12-2009, 09:16 PM
You've risk assessed it to be unsafe so you are covered :) put on at the bedroom door instead

I'd agree with that, much safer for everyone to have it on the bedroom door

Miffy xx

Bushpig
06-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I guess if the kids aren't playing anywhere else upstairs but the bedroom then that would be fine - my lot (all under 3s) play on the landing, playroom and study (where Chewy - the adorable :p hamster - is)... so I need the stairgate at the top of the stairs.

As mentioned... if you show you have risk assessed it and you deem a gate at the bedroom door is better, then go for it :thumbsup:

tashaleee
06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I dont have a stairgate at the top of the stairs and never have in the 10 years I have been minding from this house. I do have one at the bottom, but this is not always fitted either - depends on age of the children. I do have risk assessments in place - I dont feel it's 'safe' to have one at the top and I would also more likely fall over it (which is what happened in my old house :rolleyes: )

Ofsted have never queried or seen this as an issue (and I was graded outstanding on last two inspections, one of which was a couple of months ago).

No idea if that helps or makes it worse :laughing:

Shivvie
06-12-2009, 09:40 PM
When I had my pre-reg visit, the inspector asked me why I had a stairgate at the top of the stairs. I told her it was to stop my son coming downstairs at night and she said that I should think about getting rid of it when he's old enough, as promoting children's independence (going to the toilet etc on their own) was more important and that a stairgate was a potential hazard for them!

I don't have one at the top or bottom now and have risk assessed, but haven't had an inspection since removing them, so not sure what will happen. As always, different inspectors have different views :(

Playmate
06-12-2009, 09:46 PM
We don't have an upstairs gate and and we have babies sleeping up there. We use a monitor so would be able to hear if a child got out of a cot. Ofsted have never queried our practice.

charliegee
07-12-2009, 01:13 AM
I've just had my inspection and stairgates didn't come up although I do have them at top and bottom.

I'd go with the advise already given and put a stairguard by the bedroom

-have to say that I'd never thought of that and makes loads of sense to do that!

x

sonia ann
07-12-2009, 07:20 AM
I have put my stairgate across the bedroom door upstairs and across the lounge door downstairs as I cant easily fix it at either top or bottom of the stairs. The older children know not to go upstairs and the little ones are safe in the lounge:)

RachelE
07-12-2009, 07:23 AM
I dont have one atthe top or the bottom - none at all.

I have slepping toddlers upstairs and use listeners.

Mrs O was quite hapy with the risk assessments I had done to cover this.
You have to work out which it was safer. - I knew someone would have an accident on my gates!

HTH,

Rachel x

The Juggler
07-12-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't have one and all mine sleep upstairs. I have one at the bottom. If I have wandering sleepers I use a gate at the bedroom door. A CM friend has neither top nor bottom and ofsted were fine. you just need to show how you supervise the children.

gigglinggoblin
07-12-2009, 08:30 AM
I also have no stair gates, when ofsted came for prereg I said I consider them more of a risk as I know my older kids will trip or try to leap them! I did say I would assess this again as new children came in but I have a 2.5 yo now and still dont use them, no prob at inspection.

Its all about risk, do you have any kids now who are likely to make their way upstairs alone and cannot get back down safely? If you dont have any mobile I doubt you need them on the bedroom either. If they are getting to the point where they can climb out of a cot I would put them in a bed, that can be a nasty fall for a littley. Just use your common sense instead of trying to guess what ofsted want :)

mrs tumble
07-12-2009, 09:12 AM
i recently had my ofsted visit and the inspector said not to put a stairgate at the top of the stairs as it is a hazard , if a child is sleeping in a room and can climb out it was best to put a stairgate on that room instead, and also to have one on the bottom steps

caz3007
07-12-2009, 09:59 AM
I dont have them on my stairs at all, although I keep the door to the hall shut downstairs. Ofsted was happy with the fact I dont have them. Having said that, I do have one between my lounge and kitchen as I feel thats more of a potential hazard

solly
07-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I have never had one on either the top or bottom of my stairs, ofsted have always been happy with this as i keep my lounge door shut and if the children go into the hall they are always supervised. If i needed one i would put it on the enterance of the lounge as it gives the older children the independance of going to the toilet on their own.