PDA

View Full Version : Money from parents for outings in school hols?

pirateship
05-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi guys,
I'm just wondering how you ask parents for money for outings in school holidays? I have a brother and sister (7 and 8) who need to be constantly amused! With two weeks off school coming up I'm wondering how I can get through it without spending as much as did in the last half term. I did ask their Dad for a contribution last time - I said I'd pay for one if he paid for the other - I regretted that almost as soon as I said it! I ended up spending a fortune - especially as I have to pay entrance fees for myself too. Obviously I do claim it back on my tax but I just haven't got the money to pay for it all. I feel awkward asking him as I don't have to go anywhere that costs money but that's easier said than done! I don't think he could manage two weeks with them home from school without spending anything! Trouble is I know he hasn't much money, but neither have I...
We will be doing lots of free things too - seafront, parks etc but I know that I'll end up spending money. Should I warn him now that I'll be needing spending money? Or is that cheeky?

sarah707
05-03-2008, 04:08 PM
I always do a risk assessment and show it to parents. On that I also ask for entrance fees and children to come with spending money for an ice cream and if they want to buy a small item from the gift shop... but I only organise one outing that costs money a week...

I have to pay myself and my children in and find petrol money and that's tough on my pocket too :D

Tatia
05-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Ask for not only their entrance fee (even transport if going by train) but any spending money they might want, as well. I usually provide lunch on outings but that's cos I make a packed lunch for everyone and I'll spring for a treat like an ice cream or something but that's it. Noone has ever questioned it and has always been happy to pay. I give them great pictures in return!

Twinkles
05-03-2008, 04:10 PM
We try to do as much free or cheap stuff in the hols as poss. Only one or two days a week do we do something that costs money. I personally don't ask for outing money ( I think I would if it was to a theme park or something like that ). We go for long healthy walks with the dog - no money and the kids love it.
We have some adventure playgrounds nearby that only cost a pound for the day so we make use of them.
We also get together with some other childminders and hire a hall, we all think of something to entertain the kids ie face painting , den building, craft etc. None of this costs much when you share the costs.

Polly2
05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi

I not very experienced with this - I took mindees on first trip last hols

What I did was said to parent where I was hoping to take them and told them how much entrance fees were then asked if she wanted to give me money on the day or for me to add it on to the bill.

She gave me money on day and even sent extra spending money too so it worked!!!!

:thumbsup:

wendywu
05-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I dont mind £1.00 or £2.00 each but when we go to the cinema at £5.00 I ask for this. But if they want their children to do exciting things then they should pay.

Annie_T
05-03-2008, 05:39 PM
write a newletter type of think... stating date, cost and where your going and that you would like x amount of money.
like mant have said the entrance fee and small amount of spending money.. its not fair you paying for it all coz the schools dont when they do trip

peggy
05-03-2008, 05:55 PM
What I did was I anticipated how much I thought I would need and in my case I asked the parent to give me £10 in cash (for the week for one child) I said that I would give her the receipts and return what wasnt used back at the end of the week.

If its gonna be a struggle for the parent to give cash up front, then you could invoice them at a later date. I gave a weeks notice but seeing a there is two of them you may want to give them more notice.

I did say that for future school hols I would ask again, purely as entrance fees are very expensive but said I will try and keep it to an minimum.

With the warmer weather (hopefully) coming up you may not need as much. The other thing i did was go further a field! Yes your spending on petrol, but 40 mins - 1hr in the car took up a good part of the day! There is so many activities you can do on route too (if they aint shattered by the end of the day!), counting red cars, i spy, singing songs etc.....

To survive, i think needs careful planning!

miffy
05-03-2008, 06:04 PM
It depends on how much the entrance fees are - if it was a theme park then yes I'd ask parents to pay but otherwise I cover the costs

Once a week though is all I could afford and i would vary the day each week so all children got a chance to go somewhere

Our local paper often has deals in the summer for 1/2 price entrance fees so we buy extra papers and save the vouchers

Getting together with other childminders is also good - we are having an easter party which the kids will love

Oh and pray for good weather to enjoy the local parks

Miffy xx

deeb66
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
I tend not to charge parents for a majority of outings but have it written in my contract that should I plan a 'big' outing then I would ask them to contribute towards costs.

I have never had a problem :thumbsup:

yummymummy
09-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I have always passed on charges to parents on a weekly basis for trips etc. If you put it on your contracts and your fees and charges info in your welcome pack I have always found it not to be a problem. It does sometimes feel embarassing to ask for extras but remember you pay extras that are not passed on such as parking fees, extra snacks or drinks when out and usually the parents appreciate the effort you make (although I have one mum who makes it her mission in life to find me free places where she wants her child to go!) :laughing: X