PDA

View Full Version : Some tips please x

katickles
05-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Anyone give me some tips as to how to get my 3yr old mindee wanting to play or do some activities.

He has only just started with me, but has been with childminders since bein a baby. He only wants to play with my daughters baby toys. Have tried asking him what he like to play with.....no answer. Has asked what toys he has at home......no answer. Have shown him all the toys & games but he just looks away. Have got books, games, cards, toys, paints, crayons, cars, trucks you name it i've tried. If i ask him if he's happy he'll nod his head.

Have done it all in a very suttle way so not to make him feel overcome by the whole thing, buts he's just so so quiet. And i totally understand he needs to settle in but I really want him to enjoy himself & have a fun & stimulating time - surely he would enjoy playing with something other than 1 or 2 babys toys.

crazybones
05-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Anyone give me some tips as to how to get my 3yr old mindee wanting to play or do some activities.

He has only just started with me, but has been with childminders since bein a baby. He only wants to play with my daughters baby toys. Have tried asking him what he like to play with.....no answer. Has asked what toys he has at home......no answer. Have shown him all the toys & games but he just looks away. Have got books, games, cards, toys, paints, crayons, cars, trucks you name it i've tried. If i ask him if he's happy he'll nod his head.

Have done it all in a very suttle way so not to make him feel overcome by the whole thing, buts he's just so so quiet. And i totally understand he needs to settle in but I really want him to enjoy himself & have a fun & stimulating time - surely he would enjoy playing with something other than 1 or 2 babys toys.

I have a 4 yr old a bit like this and I have had him since 8 months. It is just the way he is. Has this child been shunted around different childminders so he is worrying about settling in in case he is moved again? Maybe he just need a bit more time until he is confident enough to tell you what he wants or maybe, like mine, that is just the way he is? Sorry not much help.

Annie x

katickles
05-03-2008, 03:49 PM
To be honest Annie - think its just the way he is. He acted in the same way when parents came for visit & acts the same when he is dropped off & collected.

I'm really worried he just repeats the same words throughout the day & never answers any questions.:panic:

crazybones
05-03-2008, 03:52 PM
To be honest Annie - think its just the way he is. He acted in the same way when parents came for visit & acts the same when he is dropped off & collected.

I'm really worried he just repeats the same words throughout the day & never answers any questions.:panic:

See if the parents give you any feedback as to whether he tells them what he has done. This could indicate he has enjoyed it - if he has told mum and dad what he did. When I pick A up in the morning his mum says I believe you did.............. yesterday. I take this to mean he must have enjoyed it because he talked about it at home.

Annie x

katickles
05-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Ok then - Thanks Annie:)

sarah707
05-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I used to have a little boy like this - he wouldn't talk to me, just nod or shake his head sometimes and he wouldn't really play either.

It was very hard and I just used to keep talking - but it was wearing on me.

I saw his mum yesterday and she was saying what a little chatterbox he is now! It was just his way - he wasn't unhappy, just not very confident and unsure when he was here.

Not a lot you can do except keep trying :D

angeldelight
05-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I agree

Some children are like this but hopefully he will join in more and more

Let him play with what he wants if it makes him happy so be it

Good luck

Angel xx

miffy
05-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Aaaaaah bless - take a step back and just let him play as he wishes he might then come to join in more with other things - as long as he is not unhappy

Miffy xx

katickles
06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I spoke to his dad when he collected him last night. I explained that he'd not spoken to me vertually all day. I had been asking questions & he hadn't answered & had tried to get him to play & he wasn't intereseted. His dad just said that was normal for him.

To be honest, i am a little concerned as its almost as if he just doesn't understand how to communicate. All he does is repeate things like, "cat on bin". My cat was sat on the bin outside in the morning & he was still saying this after dinner at 5:15pm.

But, i will keep trying. :)

miss muffit
06-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi its early days and as long as he's happy and feels safe, he will soon start talking and mixing with the other children ...then there will be no stopping him...good luck :) :) :)

deeb66
08-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I also agree that it is early days.

however if you are worried then perhaps you should document it and follow up to see how he goes.

miffy
08-03-2008, 08:39 PM
I think Dee is right - you have some concerns so keep a record and it will either confirm them or reassure you there is nothing to worry about

Miffy xx