PDA

View Full Version : Do you take your mindees

atmkids
04-12-2009, 04:18 PM
to see Santa. Our local childminding group has organised a trip to see santa but I've declined saying that I don't think it's my place to do this. I personally think visiting santa is something special that should be shared with the parents and if I was to take them and then the parents took them afterwards, it wouldn't be as special for them the second time. What do you all think?

Ripeberry
04-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I think someone asked the same question a couple of weeks back and the concensus was that it should be a special time for the parents and children :)

Chatterbox Childcare
04-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Sorry but I am not with you on this one.

We go to 5 different parties this month and there is a Santa at all of them. How can you not take them when others are?

Does it matter how many times they see Santa?

miffy
04-12-2009, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't take mindees on a special trip to see Santa but, like Debbie says, if Santa is at one of the parties we go to then they will see him and get a present.

Hope that makes sense.

Miffy xx

Alibali
04-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't take mindees on a special trip to see Santa but, like Debbie says, if Santa is at one of the parties we go to then they will see him and get a present.

Hope that makes sense.

Miffy xx

I agree with this, I wouldn't take them especially to see santa.

FizzysFriends
04-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I took 4 of mine to see santa after school yestarday and they will all be going with parents and they are all excited to see Santa more than once.

Blackhorse
04-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I think this is more in the heads of adults than children..I doubt they will be any less excited about seeing santa more than once...

fair enough maybe if you see him daily it might get ''old'' but seeing him twice or a couple of times I think will always be great for the kids.

It is hard to avoid santa this time of the year anyways...

maybe the first ever time a child sees santa should be with the parents but after that...I dont think it will matter..that is my personal opinion anyways

atmkids
04-12-2009, 05:30 PM

I agree with this, if it had been a party and Santa just happened to be there I would have gone. But to take the children in to see santa individually is something which in my opinion should be shared with the parents. I have three children of my own and wouldn't want anyone else to take them. Probably because I'm really soppy and normally get a bit emotional at the magic of the experience.

atmkids
04-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I agree Blackhorse that it is more in the heads of the adults. I'm sure the children would love to see santa loads of times. But if I were a parent who worked full time, whether by choice or not, I would still want to share special times with my child (and parents have feelings too). I actually asked some of my parents what they thought about this and luckily they all agreed with me.

sarah707
04-12-2009, 06:01 PM
I usually take children to the local garden centre where there is a lovely Santa who always lets them have their photo taken with him but we don't get the pressies etc... he just comes out and smiles for a picture.

the decorations are lovely and we have our lunch there, so it's a special outing.

Parents in the past have always been happy for me to go - I ask first if it's ok and not treading on their toes.

:D

ChocolateChip
04-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Mine have seen Santa at toddler parties and school fairs and such like. I've never taken them on a special trip before but this year our children's centre is subsidising a trip so I am taking my own three plus whoever I've got that day, none of the parents objected, in fact they all think it's fantastic that we're going.
Entirely between the parents and childminder I think, not all parents have the means or opportunity to take them, although in an ideal world I'm sure they would love to.

charliegee
06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I think as long as you speak to parents before hand there shouldn't be a problem - As a parent I wouldn't have a problem and would love my childminder to take my LO but could understand how some parents might not like it if they wanted to keep it a family thing

My personal thing is I think it doesn't matter if kids see father christmas more than once...it's a nice thing

x

Jemima77
06-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I thought thats what Christmas was all about!! Seeing santa and the children enjoying trips out. I am sure many parents dont have time over xmas to take them anyway due to working so will probably be grateful that you are going to take them...I am taking mine this year and no complaints from any parents!!!!!

Lady Haha
06-12-2009, 05:54 PM
I am taking my lot to see Santa on the first Monday of the hols, he is in a grotto at a party we are going to. I have six kids that day and asked all the parents first and they were all fine about it. One of the mums was actually really really pleased as she said she had been struggling to work out when she would be able to do it herself and now she doesn't have to....

mushpea
06-12-2009, 05:57 PM
untill the car went bung we were all going to see santa at the zoo, all the children have yearly tickets except the youngest so it comes in with the ticket.

patevans
06-12-2009, 06:44 PM

Hope that makes sense.

Miffy xx

I also agree with this, we go to toddler parties etc and santa pays a visit!

caz3007
06-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Santa will be at our toddler party on Tuesday, but only one mindie goes with me to toddlers and his parents took him to see Santa last weekend. So best of both worlds for him

wyetots
08-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I was asked by a nother childminder if i wanted to take the children to see Santa in the local caves. It is magical but £7.50 per child - i cannot afford to pay for three and i dont think i could possibly ask for the money when this i ssomething they can do at the weekend. I always took my own children when they were small.
We have a tiny synthetic ice rink in the Forst of Dean at £5 a sleigh and i am going to do this instead as it will be a great experience.
We will be at parties next week where Santa is but this cannot be helped but a specific trip to an expensive place i think is out of the question.