PDA

View Full Version : lunch anyoance!!!

mushpea
04-12-2009, 12:26 PM
i posted on here the other day about a little boy i have who wont eat sandwichs at lunch time and is sick if he eats anything, you all came up with some lovley suggestions and heres the result

yesterday he took one bite of sausage roll and didnt puke but said no more thanks, i said ok and gave him some drawing to do whilst the others ate leaving his lunch near him incase he wanted more but he didn't.

today i put 4 mini sausages on his plate, he picked oneup then put it down sayng 'enough' , i only have him and a baby today so i let him get down and watch cbeebies whilst i fed baby.

now i know for a fact that when he goes home he will be given chocolate, then he will eat his tea plus part of his mums tea and in the morning has more than my two kids will eat for breakfast so obviously he is eating so much at home he really dosent need a midday meal, i have tried talking to mum about this (no dad) but it dosent bother her.
thing is should i carry on as i have the last 2 days or should i be telling him to eat lunch, i only have him 2 days a week, he is nearly 3 so will be going to preschool soon and also goes to leapfrog 3 days a week where he also pukes at lunch time as they encourage him to eat his lunch that he dosent really want. he is by no means a small child and if anything a little overweight
is it ok to just ask him if he wants lunch and if he says no leave it at that or should i put somthing infront of him anyway.

Nat78
04-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Personally I would have him sit at the table with the others and give him some dinner. If he just sits with it in front of him let him, but if he eats praise him. I have an agreement with parents that they have to eat half their dinner (hot dinner) before they get a pudding (fruit, rice pudding, yoghurt,etc). In the past slow or non eaters have soon started eating!!!
I would keep him at the table until everyone has finished and ready to get up without making a big deal of it. Just chat, etc as you normally do.

Mouse
04-12-2009, 12:56 PM
He's obviously having plenty to eat through the day at home, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he wasn't eating at home either it would be more of a problem. It sounds as if he just doesn't need much food in the mddle of the day.

I'd carry on doing what you're doing. I would sit him at the table with a very small amount of food. If he eats it, great, if not, give him something else to do while everyone else is eating. If he starts to eat & wants more, give him more. By starting off with a very small amount you won't be wasting so much food if he doesn't eat it. You still need to try to encourage healthy eating, so just make sure that what you do offer him is healthy. I'd make sure he has plenty to drink through the day.

Tell mum what you're going to do. It sounds as if she'll be happy with that if she's used to feeding him so much at home.

sammy
06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
i have 2 children one is chinese and one is muslim and they are so used to eating their home cooked food that they never ate a sandwich before they came to me-but they will now, one would heave whenever i put any type of food in front of him then he would start playing with this hair - i think he was trying to comfort himself, i never told him off - then when i watched his mum feed him (he was 2 at the time she was feeding him jar baby food herself from a spoon! well i was shocked to say the least) no wonder he was a nightmare at eating at mine, Well anyway i had him again the other day (not had him for a while) and he is now nearly 3 he would only eat if spoon fed!! i think its ridiculous! Anyway i know its not helping you much, but i thought i would share my annoying story - lol

madasahatter
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Personally I would have him sit at the table with the others and give him some dinner.

This is what I would do too. This way any other children in your care don't start to copy and decide to play rather than eat their meals. As mum isn't too bothered about it then you shouldn't worry either. If he eats then great, if he doesn't then it's no big issue either. I would only offer him a little bit of whatever everyone else is having so that not much is wasted.

Pudding Girl
06-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I'd do as you are doing with regards to the food part, if he simply isnt hungry/hasn't the room for anything to the degree it makes him sick then its cruel to basically force feed him ( not to mention illegal etc!) but yes he has to sit at the table with everyone else until they have finished.

caz3007
06-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I agree, I would give him a small portion of what the other children are having. I have children that sometimes dont eat a lot a lunch, but do eat a good breakfast and good cooked evening meal, so I work the principle that for small children, 2 good meals a day is fine

Louise_Oaktree
07-12-2009, 01:29 PM
What/where does he eat breakfast?

He could be filling up too much on breakfast and isn't hungry at lunchtime.

Mine used to have fruit & toast mid morning but neither would eat lunch, even at 1pm, but both be starving by 3pm. Now I just offer less at snack time and I make sure breakfast is over by 8.45am.