PDA

View Full Version : Chickenpox

Lyns123
04-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi All

I need some advice, my 2 year old mindee has chickenpox, he came out with them yesterday. I said to parent i would have him for the day if she needed me too as i've only got my daughter tht day and i don't mind if she catches it (it's done then) plus she has been around him all week anyway.

Mum has taken him to the doctors this morning and i'm waiting to hear the verdict. One of my mindee's didn't come today as his mum doesn't want him to catch it but what happens next week if my daughter does come out in spots, i'm still happy to childmind as long as the parents don't mind but what do i do about the one's that do mind? Do i pay them back?

Do i accept the child with chickenpox or wait till they scab over even though my daughter is probably already infected so is likely the other kids are too!!

Carpet Monkeys
04-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Oh dear ... I had the same thing happen to me when I was minding back in 2004, DD got them first, then one of my mindees, then DS, then another mindee, I think I had about 8 weeks with chicken pox in my house. The likelihood is that as they have all been with the child in the previous weeks running up to your mindee getting them they will probably get them too.

As for the parent who hasn't sent the child to you today, I would still charge full fees as you don't have the child with the chicken pox at present and you are still available to work - it was her choice not to send him. However, if you DD does come out with them say next week ... you'll have to go by whatever it says in your policies, mine would be no fee if my child was ill.

Good luck, best get the bicarb of soda in just in case, works a treat bathing kids in it, stops the scratching!

AliceK
04-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Oh dear ... I had the same thing happen to me when I was minding back in 2004, DD got them first, then one of my mindees, then DS, then another mindee, I think I had about 8 weeks with chicken pox in my house. The likelihood is that as they have all been with the child in the previous weeks running up to your mindee getting them they will probably get them too.

As for the parent who hasn't sent the child to you today, I would still charge full fees as you don't have the child with the chicken pox at present and you are still available to work - it was her choice not to send him. However, if you DD does come out with them say next week ... you'll have to go by whatever it says in your policies, mine would be no fee if my child was ill.

Good luck, best get the bicarb of soda in just in case, works a treat bathing kids in it, stops the scratching!

I second this. It was amazing when my DS had them. Really helps.

xxxxxx

Lyns123
04-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the replys, he definately has chickenpox, doctor confirmed it so i have an unexpected day off today...................hmmm what to do!!

I intend to charge the mum who didn't bring child in case he catches it, i'm still open and dd doesn't have spots yet! My dd's grandma has said she will have her next week if spotty that way i can still have other kids, really can't afford to be paying anyone back, especilly at this time of year!!

Carpet Monkeys
04-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the replys, he definately has chickenpox, doctor confirmed it so i have an unexpected day off today...................hmmm what to do!!

I intend to charge the mum who didn't bring child in case he catches it, i'm still open and dd doesn't have spots yet! My dd's grandma has said she will have her next week if spotty that way i can still have other kids, really can't afford to be paying anyone back, especilly at this time of year!!

Make the most of it - catch up on paperwork, xmas wrapping, put up your decs, or just have a lazy day with DD!

Minstrel
04-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I intend to charge the mum who didn't bring child in case he catches it, i'm still open and dd doesn't have spots yet!

It might just be me but......

Don't you think its very unfair to charge someone who didn't bring their child because you have accepted a child with an infectious disease??

Its all well and good putting your own child at risk of catching it but to leave this other parent with no childcare AND charge her still, is wrong IMO.

ETA sorry reading while cooking at same time and missed the bit where you said you didnt have the spotty child. Soz :blush:

TheBTeam
04-12-2009, 07:09 PM
The problem with chicken pox is it is probably at its most contagious in the couple of days before the spots come out, so keeping a child away when the spots have come out is slightly pointless.

Think you will find that the HPA guidance is now exclude for 5 days from onset of rash, doesn't mention scabbing over anymore.

I personally would not take the child with the spots as per HPA guidance, but would charge the parents who refused to send their child, given that their child could have caught it before anyone new that the child has it.