PDA

View Full Version : Just started thinking about childminding and worried already!

EileenB
03-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey I've just started looking into registering as a childminder (I'm in Scotland). I know I need to get registered with the Care Commission. I'm a bit concerned though. I live in a flat - is that likely to be an issue? Is there anyone on here who childminds in a flat? how do you find it?
As I'm a total noob at this I'd appreciate any advice really, especially if there's anything in particular I need to be aware of in Scotland.
Thanks in advance,
Eileen.

sarah707
04-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Welcome to the forum Eileen!

You need to get in touch with your local Care Commission area office and speak to them.

they will give you all the information you need about setting up as a childminder in Scotland including paperwork you need to fill in and the regulations for childminding.

There are courses to attend and Disclosures to get for all adults in the house and visits from Care Commission... it's going to be a busy time for you!

Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you are getting on :D

I will move your post to the Scottish area of the forum so that other Scottish members are more likely to see it :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
04-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi Eileen,

Welcome to the forum!! You found the right place for advice.

I know a couple of childminders that work from flats so I know it can be done.
Obviously depending on the space you have (and it might be a gigantic flat I dont know) but if it is small you might not get registered for you full amount of kids, but this is up to your Care Commission officer to decide.
You will obviously have to think about how you get up and down if you are high up with lots of little ones but I wouldnt worry to much about it to be honest.

Which area are you in? I would recommend you get yourself booked onto the induction training for childminders if it is available where you are. (if not they also do a home study pack if you are remote)

Just talk to the CC they are there to help you. Then there is the SCMA where you can choose to be a member and they will assist you as well. They also run a lot of courses for childminders ...but you dont have to be a member if you dont want to. Just something else that's there

Do you know any other cm's that are local to you? they might also be able to give you some advice? I met lots of them at the local toddler group...

Any questions you have you can also post on here or do a search on the forum as there is tons and tons of advice on here...I think I learned most of the things I know about childminding from here!!!

Good luck

EileenB
04-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks so much for your advice (and thanks for moving my thread to a more suitable area).
I will get in touch with the Care Commission in my area and hopefully get the ball rolling.

EileenB
04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the information and advice - very helpful. I am just off the phone to my local office of the Care Commission and they are sending me out the application pack. Oh the excitement!

The lady did advise me it could take up to 6 months for it all to go through. I don't really mind if it takes as long as this, however does anyone know what the average timescale is?

Obviously someone mentioned about the size of my flat in relation to how many children I might be able to mind - I have three kids of my own under 12 (so I already know the maximum I could watch would be 3), but obviously if they say I can only have, for example, 4 at one time it would mean I could only childmind 1 child. Is that right?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very new to all of this.

Alibali
04-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Great advice already, just wanted to say Hi!

Blackhorse
04-12-2009, 03:02 PM
your numbers will be max 6 to begin with (some CMs have variations for more)

of which
of which 3 need to be pre-school (but only one below 1 year old)
and 3 school age children (up to age 16 says my cert)

your own children will always count in your numbers.
I am in a house but it is by no means big and I am allowed all 6.....

You are right though if you got registered for 4 you could only childmind one...

I know people that were registgered in 2 months...I would have been 3 months but then my CCO went off sick and wasnt replaced so it took closer to 7 months....but hopefully you will be luckier!

EileenB
07-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks Blackhorse you've been a really good help. I got my application pack through the other day but haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet. Looks like a lot of forms though *eek*

carlen222
08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
hi eileen, i was the same as you, panicking that i wouldnt be allowed to child mind when living in a flat but it was no problem at all!! i live on the 3rd (top) floor, the cc get you to fill out a fire safety form to send to the fire brigade, i got a phone call to say they were happy with my assessment and wouldnt come to visit. i have 2 bedrooms, bathroom, living room, dining room and kitchen and have a 5 and 2 year old of my own. i am allowed max number of 5 children of whom no more than 3 pre school ( including my son) and of which no more than 1 under 12 months. i got my application form in march and got my registration thru in the august. it would have come through quicker had my cc officer not taken ill. i had the policies they ask for in the app form all made up and posted with my application form and i think this quickened up the process as a friend of mine applied at the same time and shes STILL not registered!!!!!

best of luck with it all xx

EileenB
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
hi eileen, i was the same as you, panicking that i wouldnt be allowed to child mind when living in a flat but it was no problem at all!! i live on the 3rd (top) floor, the cc get you to fill out a fire safety form to send to the fire brigade, i got a phone call to say they were happy with my assessment and wouldnt come to visit. i have 2 bedrooms, bathroom, living room, dining room and kitchen and have a 5 and 2 year old of my own. i am allowed max number of 5 children of whom no more than 3 pre school ( including my son) and of which no more than 1 under 12 months. i got my application form in march and got my registration thru in the august. it would have come through quicker had my cc officer not taken ill. i had the policies they ask for in the app form all made up and posted with my application form and i think this quickened up the process as a friend of mine applied at the same time and shes STILL not registered!!!!!

best of luck with it all xx

thanks that's made me feel better about it :D